A good pair of pants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
As my growing interest for all things bushcraft has been born out of an enjoyment of walking (and latterly backpacking) I have always tended to go for pants geared towards walking. But now I am spending more time on my knees setting up camp and cooking grub, I think it might be an idea to expand my wardrobe to include more multi functional pants.

Ideally, I am looking for a pair of pants that meet the following criteria:
Lightweight
Breathable
Reasonably weather proof
Generally hard wearing
Specifically have reinforced knees
Are available in short leg size as I am not a giant
And most importantly, don't make you chafe like a like a bar steward after a good days walking.

I've been looking at Montane's Terra Pants, which seem to tick all of the boxes, but it would be great if folks would like to chip in with suggestions.

Thanks,

Colin

Aaron Rushton

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2011
S. Wales
my old pair of combats do everything i want them to do in summer. i have put some leather patches on the knees fro reinforcement. in winter i have a pair of insulated weather proof rohan trousers that are superb but a bit pricey.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Montane Terras are great but I don't let them anywhere near my bushy antics, they're more for open trails rather than bushwhacking and playing with fire :)

You don't tend to get lightweight, breathable and weather proof in the same package unless you look at shell trousers, Norrona make some nice stuff aimed at woodsmen but again they don't like fire. I really rate my Haglofs Rugged Mountain pants, they have a DWR coating, great pockets, vents and reinforced knees and seat, pricey but not as much as the Klattermusen Gere pants, one day :)

Fjallraven have a good following, they do need to be treated every now and then to keep them semi rain proof. Some say the quality has reduced in recent years but I still have a few favourites, the Barents and Karls fit me well. Swedteam do some similar stuff at around half the price, the Hermelins are nice but not as tough as the Fjallraven G1000 fabric.

Army lightweights are a good all rounder, they will wet out on the knees but they do dry reasonably quickly, a pair of DPM goretex over trews will be a good addition.

JimG

Feb 10, 2012
Kent
I love my olive coloured Leo Kohler moleskin trousers (Art.100 Feldhose). I'm 32 now and have had these since I was 12 (they were hand-me-downs from my Dad so a bit big for me at 12 YO). They are so hard wearing it's untrue. They are not waterproof but I treated a pair with Nikwax cotton proof and they now keep the wet out. Go for the Art.102 Feldhose if you want insulation.

I honestly think they trump most trousers out there.

Oh, and they have stitched holes in the crutch for ventilation. Great trousers.

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I wear pants under my trousers (1 pair - do the maths ;)

My trousers are Mountain Equipment or something - they're lined so nice & warm and haven't ripped yet. For general bushcrafting without too much walking, I'd go for army surplus or workwear - cheap & hardwearing

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've read good reviews on the French Bushcraft forum about the Helikon Tex trousers... The do two sorts cotton and ripstop nylco. You can get camo, even multicam or plain beige, OD etc. http://www.military1st.co.uk/clothing-trousers-bdu/. the consensus is that they are very well made, every bit as good as brands costing the double.

They are as cheap as Craghoppers and the reviews are very good. I think they will be my next purchase. I too have had the splitting crotch on nearly all my Craghoppers. They will last a year or even two, before it goes. Something a little bit more robust is called for.

cheers
Gareth

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The best I have found are 5.11s - most of their range of trousers seem to fit your needs and come in light weight poly cotton civvi looking designs through to full on combats.
I particularly like their TDUs in cotton for roughty tufty stuff and their poly cotton Taclite Pros for warmer weather.
I wear this stuff year round in places as varied as the top of snowy hills, the bottom of sodden vallies, in bivvies and for work in town :)
Their shirts are great as well :)
As I sit here, ready to go out into civilization for the day I am wearing the 5.11 tactical shirt and cotton TDU trousers and know that I will be comfortable and warm (with a DIY body warmer and Ventile jacket boots etc :) )and not look out of place and wannabe military.....
My pants are M&S cotton briefs.

No conection with 5.11 except that in my other job I have reviewed their stuff for various mags...

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
As John says, 5.11's are great. I also use cheap jeans depending on the weather & craghoppers. I got some waxcotton leggings(o know sound like something the village people wear)or chaps, from ebay & they are great when its wet or when kneeling on damp ground.

Rob

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
Cheers ;)

Speaking of Craighoppers, does anyone have an opinion (and as I have noticed a certain vibe about this individual, I should warn anyone of an excitable disposition to take a deep breath at this point) on these:

http://www.beargryllsstore.com/buy/bear-survivor-trousers-short-186064
http://www.beargryllsstore.com/buy/bear-survivor-trousers-short-210462

In my defence, I tend to avoid gear associated with little lord Tedwood of Grylls as the price is usually hiked up to a premium. But these pants came up last night in a general google shopping search, around the £20 mark (although this morning, they seem to be rather more expensive when you click through to view) they tick most of the box I'm looking for and they are made by Craighopper.

Thoughts?

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I think the stuff with his name is good quality, so if you can find it cheap, & it is in tkmaxx from time to time, then buy it.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE