A food safe glue that burns safely?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Looking to make my own fire biscuits for my woodgas stove by sticking a load of Cat litter wood pellets together to form an instant cylindrical "briquette". I had thought of using PVA but it's toxic when burnt. Anyone have any other ideas. My other solution is to make little wax paper cylinders...

Cheers

Mike

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well in the TT episode they were using it glue leather so perhaps when its cured its pretty long lasting?

Someone on here must have tried it...

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Casein glue which is made from milk products was used to stick Egyptian furniture together. The furniture was still together when discovered in the tombs so yes it's pretty long lasting.

How about pine resin?

Steve.

Last edited:

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Just candle wax should be fine. Ive seen it used with dryer fluff, may work here. If not add a little fluff to act as a wick if the other items are not enough

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
My other solution is to make little wax paper cylinders...

Make bags out of bread wrappers; the shape & size of a full charge. Fill with wood pellets and seal them with an iron or hot knife. Tinder and fuel all in one.

You could have a weekend's worth of stove reloads in a canvas bandolier.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Make bags out of bread wrappers; the shape & size of a full charge. Fill with wood pellets and seal them with an iron or hot knife. Tinder and fuel all in one.

You could have a weekend's worth of stove reloads in a canvas bandolier.

This is looking like the sensible solution. However it may restrict the airflow for the woodgas, as would the wax. Don't really have access to much pine resin.

May just not bother, over engineering the problem...

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
They use heat/ pressure and modified Starch to make biomass fuels bind.

Wallpaper paste was the obvious choice to me but it contains mould killers that maybe aren't good to breath in when burnt.

The starch for keeping shirts stiff is my next thought- mix some into some pellets and then press in a homemade press or put in the oven to set?

I use to soak pellets in melted beeswax to use as a starter for my pellet stoves. Its a good binder but soft and the pellets are little fireballs :)

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
What size do the tablets have to be out of curiosity.

You have silicone ice cube trays right up to muffin. How about old school flour and water glue?

Make solution, fill silicone with kitty sprinkles, add glue, leave for while.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
It sounds like you're making a sort of version of the old egg-box fire lighter, they're stuck together with parrafin wax.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE