A fly problem...I need help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Im trying to enjoy a nice glass of wine, but from somewhere a load of small flies have appeard. They seem to like wine ( im trying to guard my glass as I type) and they are sort of brownish in colour and 2-3mm long. I don't know where they are coming from. Has anyone any ideas to what they are so I can find the source of the problem?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Bisamratte said:
Im trying to enjoy a nice glass of wine, but from somewhere a load of small flies have appeard. They seem to like wine ( im trying to guard my glass as I type) and they are sort of brownish in colour and 2-3mm long. I don't know where they are coming from. Has anyone any ideas to what they are so I can find the source of the problem?
Arrrrrgh, same here, they are fruit flys and they are driving me nuts...If you leave a little bit of wine in the bottle and leave it out, they will swarm into it, they seem to love alcohol....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Could be vinegar flies too Jon - they are actually attracted by the smell of alcohol...try Eisberg :D

Or maybe not

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Thankyou for the advice, I have put some wine in a saucer and it is now covered with flies. Any ideas where they will have hatched?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Seriously, check your tattie basket or where the missus keeps carrots, etc., rotting fruit and veg is their usual fare if they are fruit flies. I found them in a bag with mushy carrots last week :( If you want rid of them treat them a bit like wasps, leave an open jar with some booze and a little jam mixed in with some warm water a couple of cms deep in the bottom. They come in to feed, and hang around and drown.
What do the mushroomflies look like? Could it be those instead?

Cheers,
Toddy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Bisamratte said:
Thankyou for the advice, I have put some wine in a saucer and it is now covered with flies. Any ideas where they will have hatched?
Nope, they just seem to appear, they do love fruit and veg too.....

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I have just checked the bag of potatoes I bought this morning and it had a couple of bad'uns in it. Im going to try the jam and wine thing now.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
raskusdrotti said:
Definately sounds like fruit flies

really hard to get rid of, but much the same as toddy said. Check around your cupboards and especially around sweet things like jam and wines - especially like home brews!!!
Excellent link, cheers for that...Our ones first appeared in some basil we have growing on the windowsill....

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
bent-stick said:
you could just use the Spanish approach and put a roof (tapas) of nice raw ham over your glass to stop them getting in...

Just thought of that before I read what you had written. Its also good in somer against wasps

raskusdrotti said:
Definately sounds like fruit flies

really hard to get rid of, but much the same as toddy said. Check around your cupboards and especially around sweet things like jam and wines - especially like home brews!!!

Yep definatly fruit flies, Im going to check the drains aswell as putting some clingfilm over the potatoes. That should tell me where they come from.

Thank you all for your help :You_Rock_

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
We have a load too. I assume it's from the fresh local fruit and veg we get delivered. It's nice to know it's not just us. My wife found a (live) slug in the fridge today, presumably from some veg or other. Not ideal...!

Do the flies do anything other than just fly around? Do they bite? Are they deadly? Or just annoying?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
mark a. said:
We have a load too. I assume it's from the fresh local fruit and veg we get delivered. It's nice to know it's not just us. My wife found a (live) slug in the fridge today, presumably from some veg or other. Not ideal...!

Do the flies do anything other than just fly around? Do they bite? Are they deadly? Or just annoying?
Just annoying, they move really slowly, until you try to swat them, then they can really move.....

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
mark a. said:
They just eat fruit/veg and annoy wine drinkers :) If you make wine and especially cider they can be a real problem.

I believe it is partly due to the warm spell extending so long the abundance of both wild and cultivated fruit this year. With the first decent cold snap forecast soon that should put paid to them ;)

Just be happy they are only little fruit flies and not hoards of flies landing everywhere as we get for 8 months a year in France. The price of living in a rural location and little pesticide use :) It's another reason houses have shutters over her ;)

Bushman_Brett

Oct 18, 2006
cannock chase
fruit flys there little bliters, in the summer months they get after my homebrewing if they get in there it can turn the whole batch sour :( , its actually a mix of the rotting fruit and the gasses that get given off that attracts them. Could always get an aquarium net swoop em up and eat them :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE