A few nights away (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Great write and Pictures a great 1st post :) welcome to the forums.

As for lighter bergen, a good way to start is list the items you used, the ones not used but necessary (i.e. first aid kit) kit taken and not needed form the lists you should be able to lighten your load. remember food and water are also sometimes the heaviest items in your pack for size, some go for dehydrated meals to lighten load (especially on long trips) or try things like pastas and rices (try to find or plan in local water sources or rain capture to ease the burden ) hope this helps

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Great write and Pictures a great 1st post :) welcome to the forums.

As for lighter bergen, a good way to start is list the items you used, the ones not used but necessary (i.e. first aid kit) kit taken and not needed form the lists you should be able to lighten your load. remember food and water are also sometimes the heaviest items in your pack for size, some go for dehydrated meals to lighten load (especially on long trips) or try things like pastas and rices (try to find or plan in local water sources or rain capture to ease the burden ) hope this helps

Many thanks for the reply and advice, I actually packed my rucksack with a little help from your excellent bergen packing 101 thread so thank you for that as well!

There's a few things I took on this trip that I only took because I had the space or wanted to have a play with so I know I can definitely get things down a little bit. For example I took my thermarest with me as well as the underquilt which I probably wouldn't do again now I know the underquilt works. I also took along 2 knives this time, the second one I haven't had long so wanted to give it some use. Plus there was a few things I didn't use and can't see me using any time in the future so they can go too.

I think it was the bulk/lack of spare room in my pack that bothered me more than the actual weight of it all (although it did seem heavy!), after this trip I can see a few parts of my kit that can be cut down so hopefully I can make quite a few improvements here.

Hoping to get out again tomorrow for a night or two so I'll see what I can manage then!

Thanks again

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Managed another quick outing with the hammock, and no rain this time!

It was a little bit last minute but I definitely managed to pack my rucksack a little better. The photo's from this little trip out aren't really worthy of another thread so I thought I'd just add a few here

IMG_0330-Edit.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE