A few nights away (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I've just got back from a few nights away in the Lakes so I thought I'd do a quick write up and share a few photo's from my trip.

IMG_0239-Edit-2.jpg

I didn't really have too much of a plan for this trip, I just wanted to do a bit of walking and also to properly test out my hammock set-up.

It took most of the morning to get there due to the traffic and road works etc but as soon as I got there I knew it'd been worth it. I'm alway impressed by the views that the Lakes has to offer.

As I left the car it was looking like it might rain

IMG_0115-Edit.jpg

I'd checked the weather report before leaving home so I knew there was a good chance I'd be getting wet, so off I went. Not long after setting off I came across what looked to be a shelter, it seemed quite well made and looked to offer a reasonable amount of protection from outside

IMG_0128.jpg

For the next few hours I walked around the nearby lake, I haven't spent much time in this area before this trip so it was nice to be seeing somewhere new. I explored the area a little and sat by the lake and ate my lunch. The rain managed to hold off for most of the afternoon but looking around I knew it wouldn't be for much longer

IMG_0141-Edit.jpg

After a couple more hours walking it was time to find somewhere to spend the night, after taking a while to choose my spot up went the tarp

IMG_0166.jpg

The rain had just about held off until now, but about 37.4 seconds after the tarp was up the rain started

Next the hammock

IMG_0169.jpg

Once this was up the rain eased a little so I decided it was time for a brew, the moss on a near by tree stump had been rolled back so I used this as a sturdy place to rest my stove

IMG_0175.jpg

After a nice cuppa it was time to rig my underquilt (UQ). I haven't used one of these before and hadn't really had chance to test/use mine before coming on this trip. It's a home made job butchered out of a 3 season sleeping bag, after messing around with the shock cord for a while I managed to get it set up something like I had hoped

IMG_0179.jpg

Once that was done I spent a while exploring the area around my camp, didn't find too much, and no fires allowed in this area so I didn't go about collecting firewood like I normally might. Although I'm not sure i'd have been able to get a good fire going given how wet it was.

Next it was on to tea. I'd brought along a couple of self heating meal packs. I've used these before but a different brand and they've always worked worked quite well. I wish i'd have read the packet before setting out though as the pack contained not only the meal pack and heating element but also a knife, fork, spoon, some tissues, and salt and pepper! Guess that explains why they're so bulky, anyway, poured in a bit of water, and twelve minutes later I had something hot to eat, quite tasty!

IMG_0196.jpg

Slept pretty well the first night and managed to stay warm and dry, although the sound of the rain against the tarp did keep me awake for a while.

It was still raining when I woke up and it appeared the cloud level had dropped to below where I was camped, it was quite foggy on the second morning

IMG_0211.jpg

The rest of the trip pretty much followed a similar pattern to the first day and night, and all in all I had a really good time, it was great to be out somewhere new, the tarp/hammock worked a treat and I was warm and dry each night, In the past i've struggled with cold spots underneath me when using a thermarest. I didn't have any this time so I'm going to declare the UQ was a success!

One thing this trip has made me realise is how bulky/heavy all my kit is, I didn't aim to pack light and admit I did throw in a few things just because I had space/wanted a play with them. I took my Sabre 45 with side pouches and it was packed full. I'm going to need to cut down on some kit, especially if I plan to do some longer walks in the future.

I've no doubt bored you for long enough now so i'll leave it at that, If anyone can offer some advice on how I can lighten things up a little or improve my hammock set up i'd be most grateful.

I've been on BCUK for a while now but haven't posted very much so apologies if this is in the wrong group/i've done something wrong/this isn't of any interest!

A few more photo's:

IMG_0104-Edit.jpg

IMG_0239-Edit.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0137-Edit.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Welcome very nice for a first post. I love the first picture with the low lieing mist thanks for posting i love the lakes.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thats awesome dude, a very well done trip, thanks for posting...;)

just 1 thing, where did you get the self heating meals from, how much did they cost, and would they heat enough in very cold weather, im thinking for winter emergency rations for the car....:)

many thanks...

chris.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great photos, I did some ground dwelling around there earlier in the year, looking forward to going back with the hammocks in the autumn.

Welcome to the forum :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Welcome to the forum. Great pics (what is it about black and white that captures atmosphere so well?)

I have one of those collapsible mug thingies - very good they are.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Fantastic posts and amazing pics...black and white just lends so much to the atmosphere of a photo, especially woodland for some reason.

Your hammock setup looks fine to me and very organised...no bad thing to avoid getting into a guddle.

keith alan

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2011
midlands
what make of hunting knife is that in the picture.I travel light with my heaviest items being my s/bag softie hawk 9 at 3lbs and my tent , Gemini at 4lbs and the rest is in total about 10 t0o 15lbs although food can be heavy as to cooking I have a folding firebox so what sort of weight are you carrying

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Many thanks for all the replies and kind words/welcomes, really pleased that you've enjoyed the photo's, hopefully more to come soon!

Welcome to the forum. Great pics (what is it about black and white that captures atmosphere so well?)
I have one of those collapsible mug thingies - very good they are.

I've long been a fan of B&W photography, definetly know what you mean here. Just got this mug, got the bowl as well, really impressed with them

just 1 thing, where did you get the self heating meals from, how much did they cost, and would they heat enough in very cold weather, im thinking for winter emergency rations for the car....

The self heating meals came from Blacks and were about £5, not cheap I know and not something I plan on using all the time. They do get pretty hot and keep giving off heat long after the 12 mins it takes to heat the food so they'd probably be good for the car, just make sure you have some water in there to go with it.

what make of hunting knife is that in the picture. I travel light with my heaviest items being my s/bag softie hawk 9 at3lbs and my tent , Gemini at 4lbs and the rest is in total about 10t0o 15lbs although food can be heavy as to cooking I have a folding firebox so what sort of weight are you carrying

The knife pictured is my Fallkniven F1 survival knife, really like this one. The picture shows the new leather sheath I bought a few weeks ago, with firesteel, DC4 in the pouch, and a small tinder case on the end, really happy with the sheath.

To be honest i'm not sure how much my pack weighs, before my next trip I plan on packing a little lighter and weighing a few things before I go, can hopefully get things down a little.

Hoping to get out again soon, possibly next week, fingers crossed I come back with a few more photo's!

Thanks again,

Matt

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE