A few nights and fish (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,i thought you might like to see some pics of a few days and nights out myself and Craigm9 had,it was about two weeks ago and the weather was scorching to say the least.

The venue we eventually chose was Coldingham bay,Monday on through to Thursday,we met up at 5pm and were thinking about camping out at Pease bay,but discovered that we couldn't leave our cars overnight in the caravan car park for fear of clamping or worse still the cars being towed away,so we opted to head down to Eyemouth.After having a chippy at the harbour and watching the seals,we went up to Coldingham.Just as we were about to recce the area i got a phone call from my mate Colin(Teribus on BCUK)informing me that he was on his way for a visit,well needless to say when Colin arrived we headed straight into the bar at the hotel that sits above the bay,we sat and talked until we were kicked out at 11pm.Well Colin head back for Hawick at 12ish,so i had one or two small dry cooking sherries stashed in the back of my car and said to Craig, that i couldn't be bothered to set up camp that night,so we ended sitting up in the car park slurping a few snifters until about 3.30am,so the first night we just crashed in our cars,i awoke at 8.30, now i know how it must feel like for dogs that have been left inside a car on a hot summers day without a window open :yuck: so after prising my tongue from the roof of my mouth with a crow bar:D i got up and we had a cup of tea.

Well we set up the tarps on Tuesday morning/afternoon after much scratching of heads,as it is quite challenging to set up a tarp without any trees,but we eventually got there.
Craigs set up
craigtarp1640x480.jpg

Mine.
metarp640x480.jpg

So after we were settled in we broke out the fishing gear.
Me spinning for bait,and catching Greater Sand eels.
IMG00966640x480.jpg

Then we changed over to bait fishing and caught a load of pollack.
IMG00967640x480.jpg

As we were getting hungry by now,we cleaned and cooked the bigger fish for our evening meal.
IMG00970640x480.jpg

But before the fish was ready and the rice come up to the boil we had,fire cooked smoked sausage and a hair of the dog :D
IMG00981640x480.jpg

And the view was just marvelous
IMG00984640x480.jpg

So after a few beers it was time to turn in.
The Wednesday we got up and had Bacon on brioche and loads of coffee for breakfast,then it was off for a wander and some plant IDing.There were loads friends like Burdock,Chamomile,Mint,Larver and also Urchins and Crabs,we also spotted a foe,Hemlock.Sorry no pics though.
By now it was well into the afternoon so we decided to see if snorkeling might throw up any edibles,but alas no.
Craig snorkeling.
snork1640x480.jpg

snork640x480.jpg

snork3640x480.jpg

So we thought we would forage a few of these,and try them we did,and they tasted great.
Limpets with dried grass ready to be cooked up.
IMG00978640x480.jpg

After our Limpet snack we had another fishing session,we plugged away at it for a couple of hours without a single bite,so we retired back to our bivi's for a brew,i suggested that we wait until the light started to fade before trying our luck again.As the light was fading we went back and started spinning lures and then started a frenetic hour of fun,first cast and bang i had a fish on,it was a Coalie,not the biggest in the world but the fight was something else on a small telescopic spinning rod,i think the next seven casts i had were all productive.And if you had seen the grin on Craigs face as we reeled in fish after fish,Coalies,Pollack and a couple nice Mackerel,he hadn't fished since he was a kid and catching as many as we did made his day.I was also happy as in all the years of shore sea fishing,one fish that had always eluded my hook was Mackeral,so i burst my duck too.

The Mackies.
IMG00994640x480.jpg

Well after the fishing tailed off we kept and gutted the Mackerel,all the other fish were returned to fight another day,once we were cleaned up we had a couple of night caps and then turned in.

On the Thursday morning we were up early to a breakfast of fresh grilled Mackerel fillets and mugs of steaming hot tea.
Breakfast.
IMG00997640x480.jpg

And how do they taste Craig.
IMG01000640x480.jpg

After breakfast was over we packed up and headed home just after lunch.

And one for the lady bushcrafters,please feel free to place this picture over your fire place to keep the kids from going any where near the fire:lmao::theyareon
IMG00976640x480.jpg

Well i did say it was scorching:eek:

Oh i nearly forgot to say on the Monday night we still managed to get to bed before Colin,his drive back to Hawick should only have been about 57to60 miles max,but he managed to clock up an impressive 176 miles to get home,lets just say he took the scenic route in the dark :D :drive: :p

Well it was a great time with cracking company,and i hope you get a feel through the photos of a brilliant few days.

Cheers Stuart.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
lol looks like you had a really great time, no sore heads ? almost looks like you where stranded on an island in some of the photos!

i think there should be a caption competition on the last photo.
"the rescuers left the stranded men on the island with a months supply of naval rum, as they where unwilling to depart"

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Brilliant post mate. Looks like one hell of a good time you had there.
It really makes a fishing trip when the fish decide to turn up, I find.
Nice one, thanks for sharing those pics.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Great stuff, looks like a top trip. How do you cook limpets and what were you using for the grill over the fire?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,cheers for the comments.

lol looks like you had a really great time, no sore heads ? almost looks like you where stranded on an island in some of the photos!

i think there should be a caption competition on the last photo.
"the rescuers left the stranded men on the island with a months supply of naval rum, as they where unwilling to depart"

Hi Stoo,aye a wee bit of a sore head on the Tuesday morning,i had to have a paracetamol breakfast :D .

Great stuff, looks like a top trip. How do you cook limpets and what were you using for the grill over the fire?

Hi Jonno,the way to cook the Limpets is just like in the photo,you basically allow the limpets to clamp down on some flat stones,then you cover them over with the dry grass and set it alight.Once the grass has burned off,just flick the shell off,pull the black stomach sack off and discard,what you are left with is the foot which the Limpet uses to cling to the rocks.Then its Bonn Appetite.

The grill stand i use is a plate rack that Woolworths used to sell,there is a post somewhere in kit chatter about them,but i think you will be hard pushed to find one now though.Craig wants one if i ever come upon them again,its a handy bit of kit as it fits nicely into the side pouch of the PCLE bergen.

Cheers Stuart.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I wished id known i would have had a walk down to the bay to say hello.
If you had snorkelled on the opposite side of the bay heading towards St Abbs harbour, you would have had a better chance at catching something, ive seen lobster,edible crab and various fish including some flat fish over that end when ive snorkelled, for some reason the side you were at is less shellfish critter inhabited.Ive tried fishing myself on the side you where on and only ever caught tiddlers so put them back,(im crap at fishing) If your over this way again and want some shell fish(best around August-sept) try getting in at pettico wick and snorkelling over to your right from the jetty loads of crab etc there.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Cheers again folks. I just had a thought that if anyone is thinking of using the place we camped,please check the tide tables for Spring tides,as the outcrop we bivi'ed on had signs of flooding through spring tides,we were there on the neap tides so no chance of a soggy bed. ;)

I wished id known i would have had a walk down to the bay to say hello.
If you had snorkelled on the opposite side of the bay heading towards St Abbs harbour, you would have had a better chance at catching something, ive seen lobster,edible crab and various fish including some flat fish over that end when ive snorkelled, for some reason the side you were at is less shellfish critter inhabited.Ive tried fishing myself on the side you where on and only ever caught tiddlers so put them back,(im crap at fishing) If your over this way again and want some shell fish(best around August-sept) try getting in at pettico wick and snorkelling over to your right from the jetty loads of crab etc there.

Hi Andy,sorry it was a spur of the moment thing choosing Coldingham,as we were thinking Pease bay.Cheers for the heads up about the snorkeling and if we get another chance in the not to distant future i will give you a shout mate!

is there a decent campsite in the area - might be having a trip up at bank holiday for a bit of fishing and surfing.

Hopefully, the other half might be up for a spot of "wild" camping as well.

You have been pm'd

Cheers Stuart.

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi Stuart, Can I have a PM too please? with details of local campsites. I normally either go in the car or use one of my motorbikes, and am thinking about adding 'minimalist' to my trips, which is why I joined this forum. I notice that the site you used was just over the border, so presumably you're not encumbered by the laws re wild camping :-s It would be good to pop up for a weekend, and maybe check out the local area for potential sites for re-visits. Was the site you chose M/C accessible? or did you have to walk in?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
deenewcastle, the site stuart was using is on the edge of quite a busy beach, but it get's quite often used by fishermen who camp on the area, and fish from the rocks,you can park about a quarter of a mile away and walk in from there. On the snorkeling front i went down to the bay yesterday and snorkelled both side of the bay, saw quite alot of young pollack, and some edible and shore crab of various sizes,from very small to BIG, and on the opposite side to were stuart had been i saw some enormous wrasse,alas no lobster though, plus plenty other marine life.

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Many thanks Andy, and Stuart for the PM. I can see that I'll have to come up to check the area out. I hadn't considered the fact that we are a fishing nation, and that lots of peeps camp at their favourite spot overnight. I suppose too that as a girl who often camps alone, I tend to worry about personal safety, plus of course, there's my fear of werewolves (that's an 'in joke' amongst family and another forum)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE