A female bushcraft Facebook group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
I've heard it called many things . (oh apart from our Betty, of course.)but never that your digging a bigger" hole" for yourselves lol regards dave

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
There's some things which are uniquely female situations in a woodland/ bushcraft/ survival context and a few of us, recognising that our ribald comments on some of the more feminine quandries might cause discomfort for you lads, have started a Facebook group, Sisterhood of the Bush.

Drop on by and request a join if you fancy- it can get a wee bit saucy so its maybe not one for younger lasses- recent subjects (serious and otherwise) include menstruation and overcoming the lack of sufficient urination equipment (a uniquely female problem, especially in a hammock :rolleyes:), where to get pink knives and kit, breastfeeding and bug out bags.

hhhhhhm, pink knives....:bluThinki :bigok: :thinkerg:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
You're a bunch o' funny onions ;)I think thats why wives often don't bushcraft, so they can stay home in peace from y'alls' awwwwful quips!!

Tengu, my inner child is definately a boy and its a whole heap more fun :)

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
nice.
there is also ka-bar doziers, for a (locking) pocket knife.
they come with 2,25 and 3" blades.
i have been thinking of getting my sister one.

thumb.php

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Excellent!

I have female friends who love the idea of bushcrafting and wild camping but are worried about the feminine issues. They'd love to come along and join in but are put off by some of the practical (feminine) issues - that I cannot help them with.

Please ignore the schoolboy sniggers Turbogirl and put some practical advice and wisdom on this thread. It may alay a lot of fears/reservations and bring a few more ladies to sit with us by the campfire.

It's a damned good subject and worthy of a thread on this forum - even a sticky (Sod Facebook). Just as relevant as what knife to carry or how to start a fire by rubbing two boy-scouts together. The ladies need some down-to-earth practical advice on catering for their particular needs.

Illegitimi non carborundum! Go for it! And to hell with what us silly beggars say.

ATB Paul

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I have female friends who love the idea of bushcrafting and wild camping but are worried about the feminine issues. They'd love to come along and join in but are put off by some of the practical (feminine) issues - that I cannot help them with.

Please ignore the schoolboy sniggers Turbogirl and put some practical advice and wisdom on this thread. It may alay a lot of fears/reservations and bring a few more ladies to sit with us by the campfire.

It's a damned good subject and worthy of a thread on this forum - even a sticky (Sod Facebook). Just as relevant as what knife to carry or how to start a fire by rubbing two boy-scouts together. The ladies need some down-to-earth practical advice on catering for their particular needs.

Illegitimi non carborundum! Go for it! And to hell with what us silly beggars say.

ATB Paul
Awww thx Paul :) I love that the lads welcome us here and to the meets and the giggles are all part of it :) But its hard to share the info on the main publicly accessible forum... some of the devices are enough to turn the most hardened hunters stomach, we've found that on the group :rolleyes: and it's not the kind of info a lot of folk would like their children to read and start questioning about, thats why we're off forum based... the link should get anyone to the group, signed up to FB or not so you could pass them the link if that'd help?

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
I kindov understand your concern about what we say in front of the children. But for the rest I say 'Publish and be damned'!

The lads shouldn't be 'welcoming' you - you have every right to be there. Just don't expect special treament - other than catering for your special needs.

Tell 'em like it is girl! If it turns the hunters stomach he needs to get a grip on reality - and his stomach. It's life. You lot ain't the same as us lot. Vive la différence.

ATB Paul

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm off to an aboriginal weekend of "women's work" - splitting rattan, weaving, foraging and plant ID, herbology. Seems to me that this is the heart of bushcraft.

Can I join
That sounds brilliant!! And yes, we have quite a few honorary chaps.... :) Just jump on the link and send a join request, one of the admins should pick it up. There's quite a few links up there beyond just dedicated womens pertinant things, you'll be welcome, tell 'em you saw the BCUK thread :)

EDIT Theres quite a few members from international bushcrafting groups (SAfrica, Australias Southern Cross buschcrafters, American survivalists and preppers), tis an interesting facet to enjoy seeing the perspective and pictures from other continents :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I kindov understand your concern about what we say in front of the children. But for the rest I say 'Publish and be damned'!

The lads shouldn't be 'welcoming' you - you have every right to be there. Just don't expect special treament - other than catering for your special needs.

Tell 'em like it is girl! If it turns the hunters stomach he needs to get a grip on reality - and his stomach. It's life. You lot ain't the same as us lot. Vive la différence.

ATB Paul

Well said, sir!

I like a snigger as much as the next chap, but it's all in fun. Bushcraft is for people who like the outdoors. It has nothing to do with gender whatsoever.

Hi i'm new on here, i spend loads of time in the woods on my own usually. i don't see what the big deal is about women being in the woods it's just a natural environment to be in irrespect of gender. I have a sheewee so i don't get my behind biten by midges or stung by nettles lol ( not cool), and a little trowel. i did find on my survival course that privacy can be hard in a hammock /tarp setup. if you're in a mixed group a tent might be a better option when you need to wash. i carry tampons all the time, they can be burn't on the fire. I prefer green products to pink as you see more of nature if your stealth, and freaks in the wood can't see you easily. My main concern is dogs not on leads, and badly behaved humans which you may run into. However i've had more dealings with idiots in the city centre than in the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE