A female bushcraft Facebook group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Ohhh, a big warm BCUK welcome to you, Mistress!

I had a disaster with my shewee, it's gathering dust in disgrace under my bed but the blooming mozzies are making me think that I should try it again, most things are better than being bitten on the behind every time you answer the call :S

You heard of the mooncup instead of tampons? I'm afraid it didn't work for me (I'm one of the very rare folk who react to the material in them) but they're very handy if you're in a group and don't want to burn waste on the communal fire.

It's a real good point you got there about stealth in regards to the human element... I'm usually in a group so I hadn't thought about it but I'll be a lot more aware for the rare solitary camps I do!

Nothing wrong with Pink It was a boys colour till only about a hundred and a bit years ago as its a Derivative of Red which is Blood and considered Warrior male colour

Blue was the girls colour as blue is associated with the Virgin Mary

for some reason it all got switched in the victorian age

So are you big enough to wear pink ;) Oh and with this even as a bolt action i can put 10rnds in a head size target in 40 seconds at 600yrds even with a pink Cammo jkt and dodgy hat

FGYTm16.jpg

And custom pink is always available
Hot Pink Kydex for sheaths and G10 for handles

Dsc_4384.jpg

This on even has red lipstick and an Hourglass figure

Dsc_4385.jpg

can even do accessories
Lip2.jpg

Lip1.jpg

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Nothing wrong with Pink It was a boys colour till only about a hundred and a bit years ago as its a Derivative of Red which is Blood and considered Warrior male colour

Mod Edit. Family friendly forum.

I've got a pink shirt & never had any hassle wearing that, maybe it's my build / haircut / goatee beard that makes them think twice. :confused:

I would draw the line at waking up to a large expanse of pink in a morning though, something like someones tarp or a jacket would just be too jarring on the eye against the background of earthen tones around camp for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
They're beautiful, even to a non-pinky :) I love pink on blokes with dark hair, I can see why it was a mans colour and it makes such good sense that blue was a traditional lasses colour as a mark of respect for the virgin. This forum drops it pearls of wisdom as always :)

Elen Sentier

Hi i'm new on here, i spend loads of time in the woods on my own usually. i don't see what the big deal is about women being in the woods it's just a natural environment to be in irrespect of gender. I have a sheewee so i don't get my behind biten by midges or stung by nettles lol ( not cool), and a little trowel. i did find on my survival course that privacy can be hard in a hammock /tarp setup. if you're in a mixed group a tent might be a better option when you need to wash. i carry tampons all the time, they can be burn't on the fire. I prefer green products to pink as you see more of nature if your stealth, and freaks in the wood can't see you easily. My main concern is dogs not on leads, and badly behaved humans which you may run into. However i've had more dealings with idiots in the city centre than in the woods.

I'm new here too and agree about cities - it's why I now live in the back of beyond :). I'm glad to see a women's group here as it can feel slightly intimidating even at my advanced age! I asked to join on FB and am looking fwd to it.

Question - not yet tried a sheewee, are they really good and not uncomfortable? Would be useful at times, specially for not getting your bum bitten, although there seems to be no way round it for the shovel jobs. BTW how do blokes manage not to get their kit bitten in Scotland in August? I cannot believe tying a knot in it would work for long :lmao:

Oct 14, 2012
Loch Lomond
Elen,

Never had a problem with midges and the loo, I think they are attracted by the CO2 from our breath, but I may be wrong.
Fortunately for me I tend to be on the tops of hills when I am in the countryside so there is some wind to keep the midge away.
Maybe that 'skin-so-soft' would be worth a try if you are really being bothered.
Anyway no midges in Scotland until next year ... we had our first big dump of snow of the winter yesterday!

Later,

A

Elen Sentier

Elen,

Never had a problem with midges and the loo, I think they are attracted by the CO2 from our breath, but I may be wrong.
Fortunately for me I tend to be on the tops of hills when I am in the countryside so there is some wind to keep the midge away.
Maybe that 'skin-so-soft' would be worth a try if you are really being bothered.
Anyway no midges in Scotland until next year ... we had our first big dump of snow of the winter yesterday!

Later,

A

Lucky you :). My butt was eaten alive in 30 seconds in the Cairngorms in Aug 2011! I must admit I had forgot to cover self with skin-so-soft before crawling out - brain fog brought on by urge to pee! That stuff certainly works for me. We were only half way up the hill at the time too ...

xylaria

I have come up with a simple piddling thingy after getting a tick on my bottom while answering the call of nature on the black mountain wales. I have also come up with a natural insect repelant that is based on 150 year old canadian recipe (but mine smells better)

The piddling thing is a natural postion for women, it just shields your clothes and you from your environment, and the ticks within it.

Epona

Oct 28, 2012
Wessex
Long time lurker, first time posting...

I'd tend to be very wary of getting a vital piece of kit which has been subjected to the "shrink and pink" school of bad marketing to women. I can understand a smaller haft might perhaps be useful, but a smaller blade? How does that help exactly? Like Viking Mistress I much prefer my outdoor gear in muted colours -- with the exception of the First Aid kit! More worrying is the possibility that it's a gimmick with possible shortcuts on steel quality and tempering. You'll notice that on the original product quoted there is reference to charity donation but none to technical specification or hardness rating.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm glad to see a women's group here as it can feel slightly intimidating even at my advanced age! .....

Question - not yet tried a sheewee, are they really good and not uncomfortable? Would be useful at times, specially for not getting your bum bitten, although there seems to be no way round it for the shovel jobs. BTW how do blokes manage not to get their kit bitten in Scotland in August? I cannot believe tying a knot in it would work for long :lmao:
Ohhh Elen, I can't wait to meet you round a campfire :) On a serious note, I practiced diligently with the sheewee in the shower, perfected the art and the first time I tried to use it at a meet, the fly of my trousers forced the cup away and it all bucketed backwards into my boots ;) And the mooncup caused me discomfort from a reaction to the latex. I don't have much luck :)

It's wonderful to see so many lasses joining up and getting out there, a huuuuge welcome to you all... I'm heading for my fifties so don't feel it's a young gals game. I prefer the meets because there's not many folk who will try to intimidate a lonesome lass for too long when they're being stalked by a crowd of her bush-brothers!

Whats the piddling thing, Xylaria? Midges love my offered behind, I must carbon dioxide from it too much!

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Ohhh Elen, I can't wait to meet you round a campfire :) On a serious note, I practiced diligently with the sheewee in the shower, perfected the art and the first time I tried to use it at a meet, the fly of my trousers forced the cup away and it all bucketed backwards into my boots ;) And the mooncup caused me discomfort from a reaction to the latex. I don't have much luck :)

It's wonderful to see so many lasses joining up and getting out there, a huuuuge welcome to you all... I'm heading for my fifties so don't feel it's a young gals game. I prefer the meets because there's not many folk who will try to intimidate a lonesome lass for too long when they're being stalked by stalked by a crowd of her bush-brothers!

Whats the piddling thing, Xylaria? Midges love my offered behind, I must carbon dioxide from it too much!

Looking fwd to meeting you too, Turbo (is that right? or should it be TG?). It has to be next spring-ish time but the bandages come off the feet tomorrow so I should at least be able to shower again. I'm now amongst the ranks of the OAPs but that doesn't stop me going outdoors.

I've now dumped all ideas of getting a shewee and bought another box load of skin-so-soft instead - at least my **** will smell delicious and hopefully asphixiate all midges.

Agree about the meets but I still love to be out alone on moors and mountains as well. It feels as though it will be good to share ideas with others who share the bushcraft bug, and learn from you all.

Turbo, my mind is now boggling at the potential ways you might CO2 from your butt !!! :lmao:

Xylaria, do give out the recipe for the midge repellent as well as tell waht the piddling thing is :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE