A Fat Problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Scots used to make skirlie. It's tasty, filling food, and some still do make it as a 'side' to dinner. It's basically oatmeal fried in leftover fat.
It's incredibly calorific, easy to digest, doesn't bung up the guts or make them loose, and it's relatively lightweight for it's energy impact.
It's one of those foods that can have whatever meat or herbs you forage added to it.
Cold skirlie though keeps well, and will pack into a pouch as a carrying meal.

M

I still make skirlie, usually put onions in there too. One of my favourite sides, especially with fowl though it does pair with red meat too. My local butcher makes a braw steak pie with a skirlie topping.
Though most find it easy on the tummy it gives me heartburn if I over indulge.
As you say it carries well and is easy to make on the trail. Loads of energy and the meal makes it a good slow release. Skirlie, tatties, kale and rabbit makes a meal that would be a good last one. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The travelling voyageurs (aka fur traders) had root vegetables and pemmican.
+1 for bobnewboy. I used chopped carrot and parsnip in mine. I could live on it if I had to.

The best part was the connection to elders of a First Nations tribe. I just picked one that had a website,
people who lived in bison country for thousands of years. I think they were really quite happy that I asked.
I have dried Saskatoon berries (aka Serviceberry) Amelanchier alnifolia, but they were like bullets, hard to rehydrate.

As they ripen nearer the beginning of July, I harvest 20 pounds to go into the winter for fruit pies.
One spot, if it's any good this year, I'll strip the bushes for 5lbs/hr.
Dry clean them rolling down a fuzzy blanket (gotta find that) = the twigs, etc stick to the blanket.
Then wash, sort, weigh, bag and freeze.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hmmmm, serviceberries..l have never eaten one though i have spent a good deal of time in the woods. Round here in Surrey (SE England) i have only ever seen one wild tree even, and that wasn't fruiting. One more thing to try one day...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmmm, serviceberries..l have never eaten one though i have spent a good deal of time in the woods. Round here in Surrey (SE England) i have only ever seen one wild tree even, and that wasn't fruiting. One more thing to try one day...

What was referred to as a serviceberry by RV we know as a Juneberry, our Wild Service is a Sorbus Torminalis and the fruit is known as chequers ( hence the name of the prime ministers country house).

We also have the amazingly rare True Service Tree (sorbus domestica). That fruit makes a brandy that I would love to try.

I grow all three so am a nerd on the subject!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is the service tree in the same family as the Rowan then ?
Rowans are useful fruits in their season.
Why can't we do more to spread the service tree if it's native here ?

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, same family. The true service looks very similar. Apparently the wild service no longer germinates well in our current climate so is mostly propagated as a hedge plant via root suckers.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
What was referred to as a serviceberry by RV we know as a Juneberry, our Wild Service is a Sorbus Torminalis and the fruit is known as chequers ( hence the name of the prime ministers country house).

We also have the amazingly rare True Service Tree (sorbus domestica). That fruit makes a brandy that I would love to try.

I grow all three so am a nerd on the subject!

Someone has to be :) Interesting in any case. As far as i remember the tree i saw was a S. Torminalis (chequer), as the leaves are quite different compared to the pics online of the True Service tree.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Like a really sharp bright green sycamore ? but it has the wrong kind of flourish ?
Hugh, are the berries like biggish rowans that look like they've gone off coloured ?

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, smaller leafed than a sycamore. The fruit are a bit like whitebeam. Brownish and a bit like small apples in bunches. Only palatable if you blet them like a medlar.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Not so fast. Saskatoon = Amelanchier alnifolia is related to Malus sp = apples. The leaves are single, entire and dentate, like apple leaves.
In cases where apple replant is an orchard problem, Aa rootstocks are used. All these fruits are pomes in anatomy.

We have 3 species of Sorbus, two native and one landscaping ornamental, introduced. They ALL have pinnate compund leaves.
Mealy true berries with nothing to recommend them as edible. Waxwing birds usyually strip the trees & bushes in autumn.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
There are both ''Wild Service'' and ''True Service'' trees not too far away from me, the True Service (also known as Whitty Pear Tree) is very rare but I know where there are a few specimens (including some of the original specimens planted from cuttings from what was thought to be the last surviving tree in the country and some planted by the late naturalist Doctor Christopher Cadbury one of the founders of the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust). The leaves are completely different on each type, True Service being similar to Rowan while Wild service are more like maple. The fruit of the True is about as big as a damson and the trees related to the original last surviving tree have pear shaped fruit, other true service trees not related often have apple shaped fruit. Fruit of the Wild is a bit bigger than rowan berries and brownish. The seeds of service trees do not germinate very well. There is another species of service tree called the ''Fontainebleau'' and the leaves of this type are different again. On my travels I’ll see if I can get some pics of them in leaf and later in fruit and post in due course.

This photo below (taken last year) shows the leaves of a True Service tree which is a direct descendant of what was thought to be the last surviving specimen in the country. (sorry it’s not a better pic, will try to get some decent ones).

5d7c3300-463a-476d-80d3-8ededdf38569.jpg

PS, edited just to add for anyone interested, this link is a survey done in 1974 of the distribution of Wild Service trees in Britain (note True Service trees are very much rarer)
http://archive.bsbi.org.uk/Wats19p209.pdf

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks. Without the proper Latin identification names, regional common names are of little value.
Well then, I'll continue to use a really regional and distinctive common name, the "Saskatoon."
Even your majesty, Queen E II, knows what that is.

Gopher:
1. the regionally common name for a burrowing rodent.
2. the regionally common name for a turtle.
3. the regionally common name for a snake.

Mountain Ash = we commonly refer to any one of a number of species of Sorbus.
However, it is also the common name for the 100m tall Eucalyptus regnans.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks. Without the proper Latin identification names, regional common names are of little value.....

The comparisons they're making can be confusing to us as well. They're making comparisons to Sycamore trees; our North American Sycamores are different from theirs also.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive had saskatoon berry tea which is nice.

The one time I found a pub called `Chequers` I went loking for the tree. There wasnt one. (Nor was I the first to look according to the Landlord...)

Anyhow, my oil.

I have fresh sage and mint for herb oil...What shall I use?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a 500ml jar of herbed oil in my kitchen. I'll vote for the sage.
I use sage, oregano, thyme, B pepper and garlic powder = a little of each.
Best topping for baked veg.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE