A facelift for an old friend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've owned ALOT of knives, big ones, small ones, cheap ones, expensive ones, high tech fancy steels and carbon fiber to pig iron and plywood. But anyone who's camped with me, will be familiar with "ol' rusty"
A garlands skinner that cost me £7 out of a shop now defunct called field and forces in barnard castle about 12 years ago. Its always been my go to knife. Bought as a cheap every day knife to be used and abused, sharpened (literally) on the closest brick or rock. Used to skin and prep game, open tin cans routinely, pry open all and sundry and even used as a striker on flint.
Well after 12 years of hard use, being immersed in salt water fairly regularly, bashed through logs with a rock, used as a tortion bar to twist barbed wire and being used to remove nails from planks. Its fair to say it was in pretty rough shape. Seems only fair to refurbish something that's grafted so hard and owes me nothing. Its a knife I just know so well it would be hard to replace.
So without further ado, I present ol' rusty. Complete with new olive scales, New brass pins (to replace the ground down masonry nail it sported previously), a full regrind, good sharpen and a general clean up and polish on a wheel.
db7ce00bb4ca8a6b120aa7d43e08f213.jpg

Here's to the next 12 year's bushcrafting rusty!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You mention that it is not made out of any fancy steel, but from the look of it now, and your previous use / abuse, it propably is a quite tough alloy. Good quality " for the purpose".
Of my own little knife collection I find the cheap Swedish Nora knifes ( both carbon steel and s/s) to be better than the ones with powder steel or laminated VG10.
Sometimes less is better?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
You mention that it is not made out of any fancy steel, but from the look of it now, and your previous use / abuse, it propably is a quite tough alloy. Good quality " for the purpose".
Of my own little knife collection I find the cheap Swedish Nora knifes ( both carbon steel and s/s) to be better than the ones with powder steel or laminated VG10.
Sometimes less is better?

Couldn't agree more. If wager it's some kind of lower quality stainless. It had corroded slightly on the blade and the tang was pretty rusty but cleaned up fine. It also holds an edge well. As you say as long as it fits the purpose, perfect example with mora there. They're brilliant, we all own one for a reason!

MilkTheFrog

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
CCpQU6K.png

;)

Nice knife though. Good to have something cheap and reliable. I worry that people can get turned off from practising bushcraft or outdoor skills because of the extent to which people obsess over gear, and how quickly it can all add up if you get sucked in by the hype for all the top end products.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
CCpQU6K.png

;)

Nice knife though. Good to have something cheap and reliable. I worry that people can get turned off from practising bushcraft or outdoor skills because of the extent to which people obsess over gear, and how quickly it can all add up if you get sucked in by the hype for all the top end products.

Aye I think so. No need for it to cost the earth to practice, and expensive doesn't always mean better. I think it's a perfect example of that. Don't get me wrong I won't be obsessing over it either, it's still my primary tin opener and pry bar, but at least now I know I can do it up again when it's looking rough

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
97348dbf6dcc9c2ba07e2987431bca58.jpg

f8878c7a68db57f977a832fd03b601f0.jpg

That's the same knife. Unfortunately you can't see the state of the blade but the plywood sheath should give an indication

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You making a hard (plywood) sheath is an unitentional throwback to the Sami people tech. They used wood or antler to fabricate some ot their sheats!
It is more practical to do this than soft leather, better protection for the blade and yourself!

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Aye I think so. No need for it to cost the earth to practice, and expensive doesn't always mean better. I think it's a perfect example of that. Don't get me wrong I won't be obsessing over it either, it's still my primary tin opener and pry bar, but at least now I know I can do it up again when it's looking rough

If you don't own an Alan Wood/Ray Mears Woodlore knife you shouldn't be allowed near a wood let alone play in it.

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE