A different kind of spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
IMG_2271.JPG

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pretty impressive to me!

I'd love to see a nice long thin (sort of 7") turned handle with a dessert spoon sized bowl and a hole for a neck string - especially in those fancy woods you did those mallets with (go on Weaver show em the mallets - now they were very impressive).

Sigh - I think I'm out of my league with anything more delicate than an axe here

Red

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I don't know how to resize the pictures on here. They show fine in other forums. I have to drag the pic a bit to see all of it. Is there a forum software problem?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
:Wow: Beautiful mallets:Wow: Do you actually use them?

Photobucket have a resize feature you can use to reduce your pictures to Bulletin Board size that fit here perfectly.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Do I use them?

The top one I use because it is damaged, it was supposed to be a gift, but I left it in my car all day while I was at work. The 140°F temperature split the wood a little so I would not give it for a gift and made a new one instead. The second one I gave to a fellow woodworker but she thinks too highly of it and put it on the top shelf. I finally made a very plain one that she will use.

The rectangular bits are glued to the square center piece with epoxy then turned on a lathe. The turning doesn't take long but the cut and glue up has to be precise and takes time to get right.

I use photobucket and I know how to resize photos. What I meant is most sites will automatically resize to fit the window then when you click you see the larger version. I don't want to reduce the size on my Photobucket because then it would be too small for my other boards. There should be a way to show thumbnails that are linked to the big photo.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Yep their is a way to do it and keep the same size in photo bucket See if i can say it.In photo bucket under your picture there is a square box click it go to bottom page click that line for HTML something like that well the last line to the right. Go to the one that says message boards do left click copy. Then say what you need to say then paste it it will be small then we click on it then its big. dam hope i said this right

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Very nice spoon! Makes me want to get a lathe. :) Those mallets are sweet too! :cool:

Is that oak seasoned? Hard carving but worth it eh.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
The top one looks fabulous. It strikes me you could also use it to mash potatoes. I've seen spud mashers that shape in old kitchens.:rolleyes:

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Thanks for the compliment Hoodoo! I wish I had time to bring my carving skills up to your level. But, 9 hour workdays plus two hours driving add up to not much time in the shop.

The Oak is sort of half seasoned. I cut and split some Oak and some Beech for our Boy Scouts to try making spoons, this was left over and ending up in the firewood pile. So, I guess it was green about 2 months ago.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I'd love to see a nice long thin (sort of 7") turned handle with a dessert spoon sized bowl and a hole for a neck string - especially in those fancy woods...

Red

Something like this Mate? I was beginning to think I was daft, couldn't find your post. :nana:

SmallTurnSpn.jpg

Work in progress. Is the spoon too big? It's been quite a while since I dined with the Queen.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Should the spoon part be a little smaller or just dish it out and smooth it as is? I left a good bit of wiggle room for you.

Nobody tell Red but Christmas is coming soon!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Woohooooo!

I'd say just dish it out and smooth weaver - it'll need to be big for my Christmas Pud!

Now thats a man sized spoon! :D

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE