A different homemade Crusader cup lid

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi just thought I'd show my new Crusader cup lid, Mk3

I've added a Canvas webbing strap rather than a metal handle for two reasons: 1) less noise, 2) it won't get hot!
And i drilled some drain holes to pour water without taking lid off to save water/heat. (i may add a swing cover to reduce steam loss).
n675721040_2579152_293.jpg

Here are the drain holes working! I've curved the lip so the lid can almost be held at 90 degrees.
n675721040_2579153_608.jpg

Hope you like the pics!

pwb

Neat looking lid :) .

Great idea using canvas, I copied the handle on the MSR pots using a D ring covered with plastic taken from an electric cable.
( I could stick a pick up if you like )
I also like how you managed to follow the curve above the handles, it beat me:rolleyes: .

Going to try that holes idea out ;) .

Cheers, Pete.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
just draw round the mug onto the aluminium, add an extra 1" to the shape drawn cut out the shape from the aluminium and beat it into shape using the crusader mug as a template to bash it over, (the mug is made of stainless steel therefore the alu will bend over it without damaging the mug!) no need to heat anything up as you would with steel.
as a rule hit many times softly and the metal will eventually take shape.

(to bash it in to shape took me around 30 mins!)

cut the edge and file it down (a cutting disk is quicker but more dangerous) drill a couple of holes and bob's your uncle, not really much more to it than that!

I could take loads of photo's explaining it but it's really easy to do, and I have no metalwork experience

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thanks for that, I had thought that you'd maybe carved out a wooden blank to hammer the aluminum around or used a tinkers anvil, using the stainless mug is of course the most obvious option :) I'll have a go at making my own.

Cheers

:You_Rock_

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
my i make a suggestion?
make the canvas handle a loop? this way there's a canvas base so that when your tipping the water out and you have to hold the lid on you've got the loop securely and you won't burn your finger against the lid?
am i making sense? (i rarely do)
i'd buy one of these in a flash if you sold em btw m8, brilliant piece of kit ;)
pete

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
hang on explanation part 2.

i think i'm misleading with the loop thing, the current setup is fine, but what i meant was a strip of canvas running from one rivet to the other aswell as what you've got on there?
sorry i'm having a moment...
anyhoo, i'll go get me coat...

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
hang on explanation part 2.

i think i'm misleading with the loop thing, the current setup is fine, but what i meant was a strip of canvas running from one rivet to the other aswell as what you've got on there?
sorry i'm having a moment...
anyhoo, i'll go get me coat...

I understand you... ... ... which in retrospect is very worrying :D

I would buy one as I would struggle for time to do it :rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for posting this thread!
It made me realise how rubbish my first attempt was...so I just knocked out a new one!
I use a glued and screwed "button" handle on top and I have incorporated your idea of srtaining holes.
This attempt is much better than my original, but stil not as good as yours!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
You'd have thought by now some manufacture would have come up with a idea like this instead of that stupid plastic one, knock em out for a few quid and they'd be laughing!
If i can get a sheet of tin or alu gonna give this ago myself,(its the best design ive seen in my opinion) one thing i do have in plenty is 58patt and 37 patt 1 inch webb straps so the lid's no prob's.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
thank's for all the comments!
I'll have to watch out my head is growing!:rolleyes:

Do you mean so you can keep one finger on the lid as you pour? If so this was the plan!
I just poured without holding the lid to show the lid was secure! It's a shame the holes weren't totally inline (but then I'm a perfectionist:eek: )

some extra info about the design:
1) The alu I used is the base of an old fying pan so slightly thicker than a mess tin.
2) you could use nuts and bolts instead of rivets.
3)permanent marker will stay on the metal long enough for you to work it, to remove just use a little meths on a cloth.
4) you should use a round (ball) ended hammer to hit metal, though i did mine with a standard claw hammer.

I'm gonna have to think about making some more now seeing as there's a market!:rolleyes:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
If i can figure out where to get some cheep aluminium from I'll work out a price (or swap).

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Using a fret saw it would not be too much to make a former. You could even screw the blank down using holes which would be used for the handle afterwards.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Using a fret saw it would not be too much to make a former. You could even screw the blank down using holes which would be used for the handle afterwards.

This is what i did the first time Mk1, using the holes and is I reckon the correct way to do it.
I found the blank(mine was ply-wood) got miss-shappen quite easily if you hit the metal too hard. also I found it difficult to get an exact match, especially around the handle area, using the actual mug get's around all these problems!

I guess ideally you'd use some sort of industrial press with a male and female former. and you'd make lids in seconds!
And if i had other mugs i could make lids for them too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE