A different approach to axe carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, I have been known to own the odd axe :lol:

Never really found the right way to carry them though :(

The most comfortable way way inverted in the ice axe loops of my bergan. Which is fine, but its a pain to unstrap and no good when going for a fossic in the woods.

Two of my axes (the Wetterlings and Roselli) came with belt loops. However given they were designed for left handed, bit forward carry, the axe was very, very awkward to get out of the mask when I wanted it. I want to carry my axe on the left, but be able to reach across with my right hand and remove it. On my right side, if carried "bit forward", I have to reach behind my own hip and then pull backwards...ouch. Or if carried bit backwards, I have to roll my wrist round and then pull forwards...ouch.

I also have to say that the quality of the masks was...rubbish. The GB is the worst...soft, rivetted and nasty. The Wetterlings is better - stiffer leather but still rivetted. The Roselli is arguably the best designed - part stich, part rivet. Nasty cheap leather though.

Now an old engineer friend of mine said "you can price up to a quality or design down to a price". In my mind, the manufacturers have focussed on axe design and ignored the carry system. So along comes singtek and he and I decide to try to do better. I'm not saying we have designed a better system - but its a better quality system for me.

The underlying principle is a quality, stiched axe mask. Here is the version for my Wetterlings

British%20Red_wetterlings%20front.jpg

The key to the carry system is on the rear. Two D rings instead of loops etc.

British%20Red_wetterlings%20back.jpg

Now, there are a number of ways those rings can be used. To attach the axe to your bergan...just add a couple of karabiners. Quick to remove that way too.

British%20Red_bergan.jpg

Want to belt carry your axe?

British%20Red_belt.jpg

Want to go for a walk in the woods with no bergan? Attach a heavy leather bladric to the mask

British%20Red_Baldric.jpg

You can of course adjust the height of carry on the baldric - if wearing it over the jacket I would actually let out a bit more slack..but its most comfortable riding on your hip and I like it under my jacket - more discrete and out of any rain etc.

Most importantly, the hang has been reversed so its bit rearwards on the left hip...see how easy it is to remove...

British%20Red_Baldric2.jpg

Of course the system applies to any axe - I like it so much, I have masks for my GB and Roselli as well

British%20Red_all%203.jpg

As a quality compare - check out the three dimensional shape of the Roselli sheath with no fewer than six welt layers required to make a wedge shaped sheath

British%20Red_welt.jpg

Now I'm not saying this is everyones taste however the baldric is unbelievably comfortable compared to a conventional belt mask, and I like the fact the mask stays attached rather than being left in the dirt, but I must admit there is a slight temptation to think I'm a musketeer :).

Without doubt the "cross draw" is a vast improvement for me as a right-hander.

Anyway, if you are ever considering re-masking your axe, I hope these ideas prove useful. I would certainly commend singteks work to all....but I suspect the photos speak for themselves

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No idea mate...(they are hosted on a different forum but show okay to me)

Can anyone else see the pictures?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm I suspect this may be one of those "if you are looking at work" problems....

I'll try a different image host tomorrow

Red

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
British Red said:
Hmmm I suspect this may be one of those "if you are looking at work" problems....

I'll try a different image host tomorrow

Red

If I worked that would be the problem :D

For some reason my computer sometimes decides not to understand things from American sites. I have no idea why and have tried adjusting every setting, firewall, browser, etc and nothing works. Normally taking the image link from the page source works but not always. Its quite frustrating when people say how nice things are and I just have my imagination to work with :rolleyes:

Hopefully a different host will work,

cheers

Andy

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Could be your firewall, I use zonealarm and have the same problem occasionally as I did with these photos. I switched off Zonealarm for a minute to check the photos :eek: . I have tried allsorts of settings and still get the same problem occasionally. :(

Wow what a concept!

Lets see if these work for images. Remember to set Firefox to allow showing images from secondary site. I had to slightly rename images due to unix filesystem on server.

1. Wetterlings Front:
BritishRed_wetterlings_front.jpg

2. Wetterlings Back
BritishRed_wetterlings_back.jpg

3. Bergan:
BritishRed_bergan.jpg

4. Belt:
BritishRed_belt.jpg

5. Baldric one:
BritishRed_Baldric.jpg

6. Baldric Two:
BritishRed_Baldric2.jpg

7. Welt:
BritishRed_welt.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Jimbo,

I hope that helps people out!

weaver, heres a photo of the baldric not attached

288957436_ac928f4f21.jpg

Hope that helps to show it better.

I already have a possible pouch that can also clip on the baldric or the belt clips (also one of singteks) and I see no reason why a larger bag would not work

Red

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Hi Red,

That is really nice. I tend to carry my GB in a number of ways, none of them to my total satisfaction; using the ice axe loops(fiddly), stuffed down inside my pack (a pain) and on my belt (tends to stick out at odd angles).

As I prefer to carry my knife under my arm pit on a sling the idea of carrying my axe the same way is very appealing.

I will have to make a better mask for it as well as the standard GB one is not as good as it could be.

Nice work.

David

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Not sure about the over the shoulder but the others are :headbang:
Wait till my axe nut friend sees them !

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Brilliant idea mate,

I remember you posting about designing your own sheath, but the outcome is truly outstanding.

Hats off to yourself and shingtek :You_Rock_

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Brilliant stuff Red!
Now then, perhaps Singtek would think of doing a set of mix-n-match parts. Small and large possibles pouch, knife and axe sheaths, heavy and lightweight baldric straps, a couple of double-dangler loops... you'd have every eventuality covered.

:cool:

Ogri the trog

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Thanks OldJimbo I can see them now :)

That is some beautiful work there and they all look like very practical and safe ways of carrying an axe.

Wonderful stuff

Andy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Looks excellent to me! :You_Rock_

One suggestion. Suppose you put a flat strap on the back to make a belt loop. Then, to make it into the same style, you could slip a short strap through the flat loop, that has the rings on each end. this would give you the option of either carrying it on the belt or by the rings. Just a thought. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE