A decent shemagh?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
For decades I travelled the world with an MOD olive drab shemagh, in fact two sewn together. Apart from keeping the sun off my head and my neck warm it doubled as a hostel sheet, beach towel, towel, door, water filter, shopping bag etc. etc.

It vanished from a Swedish hospital after I'd had an accident up there and the ones bought to replace them were quite badly made, as most seem to be these days.

So my question is...

Other than popping on a flight to The Yemen or Jordan where can I find a decent shemagh? (preferably in green).

The internet suggests that the ones from rvops are better than the usual ones does anyone have any experience of those?

www.rvops.co.uk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Try your charity shops

I picked up a couple genuine Middle East shemaghs from one for 50p each. They're black and white but could be dyed easily were I to want to.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Try your charity shops

I picked up a couple genuine Middle East shemaghs from one for 50p each. They're black and white but could be dyed easily were I to want to.

:) Maybe when I'm back over there, all the charity shops here sell British clothes and nothing but, I would find nothing from the mid east but lots of end of line or returned Next, M&S and Topman items. :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
:) Maybe when I'm back over there, all the charity shops here sell British clothes and nothing but, I would find nothing from the mid east but lots of end of line or returned Next, M&S and Topman items. :)

I'll keep an eye out for a shemagh for you as I'm always popping in to the shops to scout for stuff. :)

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
last one i bought was over 10 years ago from penrith survival and was good quality phone them up or any shop and just ask where they are made.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
as long as its a weave rather than print it'll be good to go

That seems to be the problem these days, almost all are Chinese knock-offs. :)

last one i bought was over 10 years ago from penrith survival and was good quality phone them up or any shop and just ask where they are made.

I think the two that I lost may have come from Survival Aids which became Penrith Survival, I'll give them a look, thanks.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
For decades I travelled the world with an MOD olive drab shemagh, in fact two sewn together. Apart from keeping the sun off my head and my neck warm it doubled as a hostel sheet, beach towel, towel, door, water filter, shopping bag etc. etc.

Sounds like an extract from a hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

I got mine from a regimental shop in my army days a few years back and I haven't seen one since. Are these any good for you?

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=1786

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
They used to be made in sunny Carlisle years ago, dunno if they are now.

Looks like they might be...

£1.5m Carlisle expansion for Arab head shawl firm

By Anna Burdett

Last updated at 11:12, Saturday, 08 September 2012

A COMPANY making head shawls in Carlisle is expanding into new premises in a deal described as “highly significant”.
longhornplacefg
Sharing site: Longhorn will stay while Lappet Manufacturing expands

Lappet Manufacturing which makes traditional Saudi Arabian men’s head shawls, known as shemagh has bought the Longhorn premises in Lorne Crescent. It is understood that Longhorn, formerly known as Carlisle Glass, will continue to lease space on the site it sold for £1.5m.

The 2.3-acre site just off Junction Street is home to Longhorn’s trade counter centre and offices in an original mill building. It is thought the firm will stay put indefinitely. Extensive modern warehousing units measuring 60,000 sq ft will be occupied by Lappet, whose head office is in Garstang, Lancashire.

Property consultant Nolan Redshaw acted on behalf of Lappet Manufacturing during the purchase. Director Mike Redshaw said: “This recent acquisition allows our client to increase their manufacturing capability and expand one of their satellite factories, which adjoins Carlisle Glass (Longhorn).

“The deal is highly significant, as it demonstrates that certain sectors of UK manufacturing are doing extremely well.”

It is understood that the newly acquired premises will be used for storage and could be transformed into new weaving areas in the future.

This is likely to create new jobs to boost an estimated 50-strong workforce already employed at the Carlisle factory.

In 2004, the owners of the company blamed terrorism, instability in Arab countries and increased competition from China for a decision to make 90 workers redundant in Carlisle.

But the factory never fully shut down and the workforce has been built up again in recent years.

Last edited:

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
If you're still looking, I recently bought a couple from this guy. They're as good quality as the genuine (?) one I picked up in Israel, and much better than the one Highlander offering that I bought.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE