A days Crayfishing (pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
try creeks with dirty water, or remote rivers. I usually bait with raw bacon and pull out every five minutes to check for crayfish, boots and treasure chests.

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
please people make sure your definatly taking only the signal (american) crayfish and not the UK native white clawed crayfish, if you are in any doubt as to how to identify between then, leave them alone and dont fiddle with them, as its considerbaly more of an offense to take out native ones without the relevent Natural England Licenses as they are a protected species, and in some cases they arent very easy to tell apart.

Also the trap in the first pic doesnt appear to have its EA trapping license tag attached to it, i assume you removed this after taking it out the water,

sorry to sound all anal about this, but the main reason for the decline in the native ones is people moving the signals about as food, which is why trapping licenses arent given out easily, also in most cases stone turning is quicker than trapping and doesnt require a license if your removing for eating (as long as they arent natives)

it prevents things like this happening: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/118057.aspx

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I have also found that purging them in a dustbin with slow running water for a couple of days helps to reduce the earthy taste of the flesh....I know this is not possible when you are out foraging and want a quick meal.

I knew that I had read about purging them somewhere before (I thought it was Huge Fearnley-Thingy) - now I thought it was to get some badness out of them before cooking and not just to improve the flavour.

What is the best thing to do? I see lots of people seems to catch and cook without any worries, are there anythings that one should be wary of?

ATB
Dave

Ruvio

Nomad
I've got an old filing cabinet turned on it's back with wire mesh over the top just in case the little buggers try to escape.
Fill it with water, leave them in there for a few hours/overnight. Hey presto, purged crayfishies.

I'll take a photo once it stops siling it down if you'd like

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
So I am guessing that on a weekend out you could catch a few and keep them in a bucket - change the water overnight and then scoff away the next day?

At risk of sounding paranoid, is there any risk associated with eating them at all?

ATB
Dave

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There is a risk of eating anything, the risks are minimal though as long as you check them over to make sure they are in tip top condition.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If you guys are purging them in water i gather you have to dispose of that water in a safe way? i.e. kill anything in it first or pour it onto grass and not straight into the water system?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE