A day in the hills (with pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Partially inspired by joining this forum and partially just to get of my lazy ar$e, I got permission from the mrs qwerty to take myself up into the hills.

This is where I started from Cruagh Wood about 16km south of Dublin city centre and went up beyond it to another mountain called Glendoo.

I was delighted to see that the blueberries are coming along nicely
photo1-1.jpg

It starts out very sedate and pretty with mixed woodland on all sides.
photo13-1.jpg

Further up you leave the main path and follow a wooden bridge/pathway built by a local volunteer group called Mountain Meitheal
photo5-1.jpg

This is designed to reduce the impact on the terrain which is quite peaty at this part.
photo4-1.jpg

Then you finally come out about the tree line and head up in the open terrain.
photo3-1.jpg

photo8-1.jpg

As you can see it's quite boggy but thankfully with the long dry spell we've had it's quite pleasant to walk on, very springy and impact absorbent.

At all times there are some spectacular panoramic views of the city, the surrounding hills and further south to the Wicklow mountains
photo7-1.jpg

To be honest I didn't buy the iPhone for it lack lustre picture quality, but the built in GPS was what I was after and I took this at the summit.
photo6-1.png

what I like is firstly the altitude and also the fact that there was no phone signal :cool:

Came across a lovely little mountain stream
photo9-1.jpg

A nice source of water if needed
photo10-1.jpg

Then back down again to the woods
photo11-1.jpg

Very, very pretty, but also well used by families, dog walkers and drinking parties after dark unfortunately.
photo14-1.jpg

photo12-1.jpg

Found out that my trusty old boots are a bit long in the tooth and need replacing so will start saving the pennies for that.

Thanks for viewing!

Mack_ire

Qwerty, If you ever need a walking/bushcraft buddy give me a shout, a small bit of notice and I should be able to go. I work in Dublin but live in Rathangan, Would you want to meet up for an overnight in a coillte woodland end of June/Start of July? Could see if any other Irish board members are interested... And for our neighbors over the pond they could come as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE