A couple of first time knives

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I've never made a knife before, and I suppose if I'm telling the truth, I haven't this time either! What I have done is stick a couple of handles on other peoples creations!

These two are both handled with Yew, which I particularly like for its figure. The polar whittler also has a black buffalo horn bolster. The crooked knife blade I was fortunate enough to get from Steve (Rancid Badger) on here. Cheers, Steve!

knivesx2_2.jpg

knivesx2.jpg

So, as a first attempt, what do you think?

I suppose the next stage is to learn leatherwork, at least for the whittler! Incidently, they're both finished with a single coat of Tung Oil, with the promise of more to come!

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Yo...well done m8....yup the yew looks lovely, like the top ones grain in particular....have thought about yew before myself but as a relative newcomer too i havnt used it because i keep hearing about it being harmful if dust inhaled....or am i being paranoid?

A

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Yes, the dust is harmful, but I use a simple dust extractor, a length of tube connected to a vacuam cleaner, to collect all the dust. Also, I don't work with Yew a lot, so I'm not having a problem! The paranoid bit, however, well, my nurse tells me that a piece of wood can't possibly harm me, but do I believe her?????

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE