A Bushcrafter from Sursum Knife Works

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Well, having played with lusted over a number of John’s knives over the last year and a half or so, I finally fell in love with one that was available. This is one he put together with Bushcrafting and all around field use in mind.

DSC_2095.jpg

DSC_2092.jpg

The specs are.

Over-all length….9 inches
Blade length…….4-¾ inches
Blade width……..1-¼
Steel…………….5/32 S7
Handle material…Black & Blue G10

Maker……………John Hutcheson IV of Sursum Knife Works

I love the nice, simple, and very solid pouch sheath that fits very well.

DSC_2114.jpg

DSC_2116.jpg

I also love the balance point, which is dead on the first finger.

DSC_2090.jpg

John has been making knives for about 30 years, and is an avid hunter and fisherman. His years of experience of using knives in the field in various conditions, and his understanding of the various holds used during processing fish, game, and wood really shines through in his handle ergonomics.

DSC_1854.jpg

DSC_1853.jpg

DSC_1856.jpg

DSC_1848.jpg

DSC_1850.jpg

DSC_1852.jpg

DSC_1851.jpg

DSC_2105.jpg

DSC_2106.jpg

DSC_2109.jpg

DSC_2113.jpg

His edges never fail to impress me, whether it be in food prep or seasoned hardwood.

DSC_1857.jpg

DSC_1867.jpg

DSC_1871.jpg

DSC_1879.jpg

DSC_1875.jpg

Though this knife, with a blade length of just under 5-inches, was never meant to be a great chopper, but the handle works well in a rearward grip and it handles light chopping pretty darn well.

DSC_1881.jpg

DSC_1882.jpg

It doesn’t seem to mind a little beating either

DSC_1883.jpg

DSC_1887.jpg

DSC_1890.jpg

DSC_1891.jpg

Alayna and I have another outing planned soon, so more pics to come.

That's very different. I like it.

Thanks Jonathon, John has been making knives for right at thirty years now, and over the last two years has suffered through countless hours of my incessant conversations and thoughts on knife use from a bushcraft as well as wilderness and urban survival perspectives. Seeing this one was if he had put everything he has learned about making knives over the last quarter century, his personal use of them in processing fish and game for much longer, and every aspect I personally wanted all into one package. I fell in love with it and couldn't resist.

Does John have a website, or some way of viewing his other works?

The website is down at the moment, but you can see some of his knives here

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php...edia/set/?set=a.1044359969269.6752.1833737733

If you have a facebook page just "friend" him.

That's got a lot of design features working very heavily in its favour.

Thumbs up :)

Thanks, I think so too.

I really like that a lot very very clean and fresh looking, lovely .

Thank you, I think so too.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I would like the sharpened area almost until the handle....

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you completely, however, the extremely versatile handle shape and extra blade length change the standard dynamic entirely and I can see how it would work very well as-is, with the option to 'choke up' on the blade if required.

I would like the sharpened area almost until the handle. Whit this exception, I like it.
Thanks for the review.

If you look at the photos at the above posted link you'll see that John isn't exactly married to one particular style or blade geometry but rather tries to optimize them to the specific needs of the user or for specific tasks. I needed an all arounder...one for bushcraft and survival which needed to function well for processing fish and game with cold or fatigued hands, as well as more tedious woodworking. The ability to choke up on the blade for better control was important to me. For me this design is spot on.

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you completely, however, the extremely versatile handle shape and extra blade length change the standard dynamic entirely and I can see how it would work very well as-is, with the option to 'choke up' on the blade if required.

Exactly

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Very very nice knife!

How you find the edge retention?

If it is the S7 steel i know it sure will be tough

now that sure is purdy

Thanks Spikey, I think so too :)

Very very nice knife!

How you find the edge retention?

If it is the S7 steel i know it sure will be tough

Thanks, I've only had it a few days now and it has been a really busy few days for me testing out other sharps in the field for articles I have been working on. So far all I've done is what you see here and used it in food prep for the last couple of meals. At the moment it still shaves but I really haven't done enough with it to comment on edge retention yet.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Damn im liking that, liking it alot. Looks really different to the norm. The handle looks quite small in diameter which would suit me perfectly.

I would be very proud indeed to own that.

Damn im liking that, liking it alot. Looks really different to the norm. The handle looks quite small in diameter which would suit me perfectly.

I would be very proud indeed to own that.

Thanks, I'm liking it a lot too, John did a fantastic job as always. The handle fits my hand perfectly and I'd say that "different than the norm" suits me quite well also :)

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
That is a beutifull knife. Good photos too! The handle looks pretty small in comparison to the blade, but in the photos of you gripping it it looks to be pretty comfortable.

That is a beutifull knife. Good photos too! The handle looks pretty small in comparison to the blade, but in the photos of you gripping it it looks to be pretty comfortable.

I think so too, and thank you for the compliments. The blade is a little wide compared to some other bushcraft knives I've seen and some that I have. But I am the type to travel light as far as gear goes most of the time. I don't always want or need a dedicated chopper, but I like a knife that can handle a little light chopping at need. This knife covers all of my most common bases all in one small package. Yes the handle is a bit small too, compared to many, but it fits my hand perfectly. I imagine that for someone with longer fingers John would need to increase the handle diameter a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE