A bone buckle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i made a bone buckle today from a dog bone,bone buckles date back to at least roman times,one was found recently during archeological digs being carried out in London on the crossrail works,my version is to go on a new belt pouch project.

DSC008871fb_zps56715a47.jpg

thanks for looking.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Now thats lovely! Great work, I will have to have a go at that one day although seeing something that nice puts me off a bit as owt I made will never look that good close up! I've still got to source some bone for the London Dig type Roman knife blade..,

Any tips on working bone?

ATB

Tom

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
thanks guys ,i am pleasantly surprised it looks as nice as it does! lol its avery tactile thing and fun to make.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Now thats lovely! Great work, I will have to have a go at that one day although seeing something that nice puts me off a bit as owt I made will never look that good close up! I've still got to source some bone for the London Dig type Roman knife blade..,

Any tips on working bone?

ATB

Tom

sourcing bone is usually free from a butcher! ask for a middle piece of cow shin bone as this is usually quite thick and has a flat facet on one side.as for tips,well a hoover for dust extraction,the dust is nasty .if using a rotory buffer be cautious of the ammount of pressure applied as the bone can scorch easier than you think!.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Nice, this. I have never worked bone but this makes me want to try it.

Was the bone once part of a dog, or was it from a petshop?

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's very smart :D you can be very pleased indeed with that piece :cool:

The dust is :yuck: stinks the house out with that bonemealy smell :( cats seem to adore it though :dunno:

cheers,
M

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
A great piece of work. Any chance of getting a photo of the underside, I would love to see how it all fits together.

sorry too late! it looks exactly the same really ,the pin ginges on a pin inserted through its width,seems to work nice too.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
'Bought myself a couple of dog bones from the big pet feed place in the valley as the pet shop had a poor choice of bits. I want to get on with it so didnt fancy getting a butchers bone and having to clean it, which from what I've read elsewhere is a lengthy process. If I get anywhere with it, putting scales on that copy of a Roman knife, I'll start a new thread.

atb

Tom

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Luverly work Mr Fish,

I really like that, keep meaning to have a play with bone as I fancy making a Hnefatafl for myself. (I've a resin one with a cloth board which is great for taking camping). The buckle just loos so right and tactile, I really want to pick it up.

inspirational stuff as ever sir!

GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE