A bit of Winter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
We've just had warning of fairly general snowfall in mainland UK for tomorrow. Could be as much as 6-7 inches down here in the South East.

We don't 'do' winter very well here in Britain, do we? We seem to fall apart at the seams with the lightest dusting of snow. How on earth do those Canadians, Scandinavians, etc. manage?

If there is any chance of winter weather, I make sure there's a blanket, a couple of spare fleeces and a decent outer jacket in the car at all times, as well as gloves, beenie hat and boots. I'll probably add a few other items this afternoon. The torch, tow-rope and jump leads are in the car permanently, anyway, but I'll probably add a snow shovel and a small sealed bucket of salted grit. If the journey is a bit longer than usual, a few Mars bars, a bag of boiled sweets and a Thermos of coffee can't hurt.

I'll keep a close check on the weather reports and watch what's happening outside. And if/when the snow really starts falling, I'm quite prepared not to go out in the car anywhere. My wife drives a Discovery, but we don't have snow chains and 4x4s are not invincible, even when fully equipped.

How do others here in Britain prepare for the snow?

Burnt Ash

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Few inches: shovel (spade, to be truthful), spare warm clothes. Torch, tow rope, etc. are all-weather standard kit. My main snow-travelling is a commute, so I'm never too far from civilisation (such as it is up here). If it's up to the axles but still navigable, I'll borrow my wife's Forester; but equipped as above.

Drifts and blizzards: stay home and build igloos with the kids. Beyond a certain depth, it's not worth the risk to the sump; let alone the gentle slide into the path of a snowplough.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I chcuk in a Hex Stove, couple of mess tins and a few cans of soup plus a brew kit. Actually the stove, brew kit and a big water bottle live in the car pretty much as I use them when out and about. Couple of wool blankets and a good torch plus most of what you mentioned and I'm set.

Come close to being standed in snow (even in a Landcruiser with AT tyres) on the moors before - never needed to spend a night or two yet but knowing I could is a big comfort. A few glow sticks to mark your position (tie one to an arial) may stop you getting shunted by a snow plough too!

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We're set up for wet weather, even our roads and tyres are configured for that, but ice and snow cause us grief because they need different strategies, and as soon as we get set up for them, it rain's again :rolleyes:
In countries with heavy snow it's easier because that's the norm for that time of year; it's the changeability of our climate that's the real challenge.

Generally I leave an assortment of useful stuff in the car and I fill a flask and take that with me if I'm travelling anywhere that I couldn't feasibly walk home from. If I'm heading North then there's everything from instant heat packs and spare clothing to a stove and a sleeping bag, packed too. We also keep an old mobile phone in the car, one of the indestructable original bricks, as a fail safe.

Personally I find patience helps with the weather ;)

atb,
Toddy

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Toddy said:
We also keep an old mobile phone in the car, one of the indestructable original bricks, as a fail safe.

Does anyone make a simple solid, mobile phone for sensible people anymore? I glaze over completely when the young people start wittering on about polyphonic ring tones and the latest mobile phone fashions, etc. I'd look seriously, though, at a waterproof, shockproof simple phone with extra long battery life, or maybe one with a wind-up facility to give a minute or two of 'life' in extremis.

Sensible suggestions so far, BTW. We can all kid ourselves as to how much fun it would be to have the garage full of snowmobiles; half-tracks; ice augers; mukluks; snow shoes; etc., etc., but we have serious winter here so rarely that the expense (for most of us) just wouldn't be justified.

Burnt Ash

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Burnt Ash said:
Does anyone make a simple solid, mobile phone for sensible people anymore? I glaze over completely when the young people start wittering on about polyphonic ring tones and the latest mobile phone fashions, etc. I'd look seriously, though, at a waterproof, shockproof simple phone with extra long battery life, or maybe one with a wind-up facility to give a minute or two of 'life' in extremis.

Sensible suggestions so far, BTW. We can all kid ourselves as to how much fun it would be to have the garage full of snowmobiles; half-tracks; ice augers; mukluks; snow shoes; etc., etc., but we have serious winter here so rarely that the expense (for most of us) just wouldn't be justified.

Burnt Ash

There used to be a 'splash proof' phone designed for outdoory types but I can't remember who made it (SAGEM?) and I haven't seen any of them around for some time.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Mikey P said:
There used to be a 'splash proof' phone designed for outdoory types but I can't remember who made it (SAGEM?) and I haven't seen any of them around for some time.

I believe the phone is a Nokia 5210. Waterproof ,super shock proof and you can pick them up for around a tenner on ebay. I used to have one and they are good and are actually made for extreme outdoor use so they have a long battery and a strong signal.

D

Deleted member 4605

I've just upgraded to a Nokia 5500 as it was the best of a bad bunch. At least the splash proof, dust proof, tough body should make it a bit more reliable than my previous PDA phone.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I have the "old" Siemens M65 and have had it for 2 years (I think) now. Definately shock and water resistant. A very good phone for the outdoors, though the software is a bit slow.

So I'd expect any continuation of that line of phones to be a good buy.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Feygan said:
I love the snow the thicker the better. The bunnies can't hide in the snow. :borgsmile

Don't get me wrong: I love the snow too. I used to love the disruption to school routine; when even the stoniest-hearted headmaster would allow time out to build snowmen; indulge in snowball fights, etc. But with age comes responsibility and one has to take into account some of the practicalities involved.

What are the sensible useful things one might reasonably possess: things that would be really worth owning, living as we do in a country that doesn't have much of a winter, or one that doesn't have a real winter very often?

I'm pretty well kitted for clothing: thermal underwear; fleece mid-layers; decent sub-zero footwear; gloves and -especially- mittens (which I find far better for skiing than gloves, anyway); loose-fitting Ventile smocks and jackets that will accommodate insulation underneath.

Some years ago, I bought a pair of secondhand cross-country skis in a charity shop. I have used them in the past, on the continent, but I never got round to buying proper boots/bindings for my Oxfam shop bargains. That is a regret. Of all the things one might own in a country that doesn't have winter very much or very often, cross-country skis and a decent toboggan for the kids get my vote. If I lived much further north than Watford, I'd probably add snow chains to the list. Why can't we get Green Diamond ice tyres in the UK, BTW?

Burnt Ash

WoodSnow.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE