A bit of traditional tattooing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Here's my latest, wee Pictish salmon :)
46435e034767d46df70b18c59ef16564.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Dreadhead

For true carvings, there are only a few simple salmon carvings in Scotland. None of cod, and I know of none in Scandinavia sadly. It's a case of drawing up a modern design inspired by those origins like my salmon
You seem to be 'in the know' of Pictish/Norse designs, correct?

Could you point me to where I could find a design of a Cod?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cool. Nice work. I'm always been fascinated by old/ traditional methods of tattooing. I don't have any tattoo's and don't think they'd suit me personally but I appreciate the skill that goes into them.

All the best
Andy

Reactions: Dreadhead

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Could you point me to where I could find a design of a Cod?

Hoping I don't sound facetious, but I have long wanted a red herring ... never yet found the design, nor decided where to put it. So, it remains just an idea. (Along with the turtle I never did but have wanted since I was sixteen:))

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I honestly can't say tattoos especially on girls are really my thing but these and your reasons for getting/doing them I like. Bravo.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But, Janne, if you have a cod with twirly bits wont it be a Burbot?

And Dreadhead will confuse any Picts he meets with every Clan tattoo on him?

Dad got me `The Art of the Picts` by Henderson when we were in the Crannog Centre; Its a very good and superbly illustrated book.

I want a Pictish chain; ornate but not overdone.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I do not know. I am still looking for the design. It will be my only tat, so it has to be good.
I had to look up what a Burbot is in Swedish. I used to fish those during winters.
Burbot has one long back fin, one short. Cod three short.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreadhead

We have no real idea what the symbols mean or represent. The theory that they are clans is pretty loose when you look at the distribution of them in quantitive terms. The great mystery of Pictish symbol stones is a catch 22, would they be so magnificent if we knew what they meant? :)

For me, i just tattoo the symbols that have personal meaning to me, regardless of the theories of what historians think they represent :)

Reactions: Janne

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Paleo and Neolithic is only 200+ years ago here.
If anything, your images would be of even greater worth if their interpretations were known
like the totems displayed in front of homes on poles here.

Do you know of any regional differences in artistic style?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE