Tattoos - Yours and Why

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Tattoos interest me - although for reasons I have none myself.

But what really interests me is the WHY and the justification of what someone chooses to adorn their skin for the foreseeable future. Does it mean something ? or Nothing at all?

So if you have them ( in appropriate places ) feel free to share them and explain what they mean to you and the why you had them done in not self explanatory.

## edit -I guess what i'm interested in - is the process of thought and selection behind the Tattoo - why THIS design over THAT design, why THIS image over THAT image, etc ##

Thanks

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have none - just because I have yet to find any art that I want to have on my body, and I have seen far too many examples of bad workmanship on other bodies!

Reactions: swyn

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have no tattoos, only scars and blemishes. I think it would be hard to come up with an image or design that would have satisfied me from youth to age. My brother on the other hand has full sleeves but I rarely see him in T shirt these days.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have no tattoos, only scars and blemishes. I think it would be hard to come up with an image or design that would have satisfied me from youth to age. My brother on the other hand has full sleeves but I rarely see him in T shirt these days.

Indeed this - I think the potential blend of being an ( sometimes anxious ) over thinker with a desire to mark oneself may create a sort of paralysis by analysis situation - pondering and never committing.

That being said , I've seen the comical tattoos from the hard black outline of a moustache on the index finger to terrible drunk decision holiday tatts.

But equally i've also seen some beautiful elegant tattoos that accentuated the human form - especially on well proportioned ladies.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
3 reasons:
- Boredom, dogs paw or butterfly you get in walk in parlor.
- Memorabilia, way to celebrate something like birth of your kids or important even in your life.
- Expression of yourself/art. For example I love cyberpunk lore and I have a very focused analytical side to my personality, my favorite character from scifi was always Data in StarTrek. So I'm in the process of getting this (had another session today):

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I considered getting one for years, inspired by the giant in Time Bandits who was covered in circular patterns.

I didn’t get it done, tattoos and piercings became fashionable and everyone was doing it. At age 57 I passed a studio in Glasto after a night out seeing Cam Cole at The King Arthur and decided to do it.

Kind of a mix from the giant and this weird mural created during Covid. On the crown of my shoulder and a bit raw looking, it was only a couple of days old when I took the pic.

Lara went for the actual design on the mural on her wrist. Had the gaps infilled the next day, it looks symmetrical now.

We’re both quite happy we have them, and that we considered the decision and design before embarking on a permanent mark.

78002CAC-25F7-4FBD-BC91-6C3BC8A575BD.jpegB6179828-EDFA-4E03-A26C-4F2DF1FE08D0.jpeg65424DAD-688B-434B-AFBA-B11F4F4FF61C.jpeg

Reactions: TeeDee

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I have none, but considered/considering.

Reasons against them for me is:
1. Originality... like seeing someone in town wearing the same t-shirt/jacket/jumper... the last thing I want to do is meet someone with the same tattoo...
2. Therefore, I'd have to pick something unique, which means picking something that means something... I have thought of a memorial tattoo... but my Dad hated tattoos... so I can't really say "this one is for my Dad" :lol:
3. There are a few other small ones I'd get that would mean something to me, but time/funds - or allocated funds for that instead of other things...

I'd like to get a sleeve done, but I'd like tattoos to be a 5 minute process in the morning - you wake up and think "ugh, brush my teeth and go, I cba to wear my tattoos this morning" or "ahh, it's a bit of a no tattoo event"...

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
Have been pondering getting something done. My dad passed away last Sunday and I have been thinking of getting something to remind me of him. He got me into reading by giving me a book by Michael Moorcock, so something smallish based on that. That book changed my life, I went from being in the lowest class at school to the highest and graduating from uni. I put a lot of that down to my love of reading, which came from him.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Have been pondering getting something done. My dad passed away last Sunday and I have been thinking of getting something to remind me of him. He got me into reading by giving me a book by Michael Moorcock, so something smallish based on that. That book changed my life, I went from being in the lowest class at school to the highest and graduating from uni. I put a lot of that down to my love of reading, which came from him.

What was the book?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hey - his entire output is brilliant ... which one was it? (OK his contribution to Hawkwind was a bit iffy - but could write OK :))

Reactions: Broch

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I considered getting one for years, inspired by the giant in Time Bandits who was covered in circular patterns.

I didn’t get it done, tattoos and piercings became fashionable and everyone was doing it. At age 57 I passed a studio in Glasto after a night out seeing Cam Cole at The King Arthur and decided to do it.

Kind of a mix from the giant and this weird mural created during Covid. On the crown of my shoulder and a bit raw looking, it was only a couple of days old when I took the pic.

Lara went for the actual design on the mural on her wrist. Had the gaps infilled the next day, it looks symmetrical now.

We’re both quite happy we have them, and that we considered the decision and design before embarking on a permanent mark.

View attachment 76128View attachment 76137View attachment 76138

Are you the top photo.? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE