Tattoos - Yours and Why

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Nice one,.. I didn't find it on my Google search of Budgie album covers, but I did have it on my long board in Polzeath in the '70s :)
Just had a look see, you're spot on :). Cracking image :)

Reactions: billycoen

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Have a fair few, but none that I am particularly proud about. When I started it was just picking pictures on a wall, then I started to have family related work and memorials.
Last session I had was around 10 years ago, so all pretty faded out now and green instead of black.

If I could do it all over again I would of listened to the old man and not had any, but we all rebel.

Reactions: TeeDee

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I’m similar to some comments that I haven’t found anything that I could live with as yet.
The funny thing in our family is that all three girls have way more tattoos than the boys!
S

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I was really interested in tattoos when I was in primary school (age 9 or 10). I remember some advice I was given when I was in a pub with my father in Rochester, Kent.

There was this sailor, that had tattoos all over his body, and I thought that's cool, comics on your skin, everyone was avoiding him, but I went and said hello, and eventually got the whole pub warmed up to the chap.

This elderly lady noticed my interest in the tattoos and asked my father, whom was not approving of tattoos at all, if she could give the young boy some advice. So this lady can over to me, and said that when she was young, skinny and sexy, she had a tattoo of a tiger on her bottom....(you can see where this is going), as she aged and gained weight, the tattoo didn't resemble the amazing example of the wild animal it once was....then to prove a point she turned round and pulled she shorts and pants down to show me (and most of the pub), an unrecognisable sad picture of an animal that looked like a moggy that had been run over at least 8 times.....as you can tell, it left an impression :)

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy and Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
For some reason, I have never been at all tempted to have a tattoo, probably becaus eof the permanence - but then I don't have any piercings or wear any kind of jewellery either, not even a watch.

(Sorry TeeDee, as usual, not exactly on topic :) )

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
For some reason, I have never been at all tempted to have a tattoo, probably becaus eof the permanence - but then I don't have any piercings or wear any kind of jewellery either, not even a watch.

(Sorry TeeDee, as usual, not exactly on topic :) )

I have also wondered on this.

If Tattoos were not permanent - but lets say have a 5 year half life before being absorbed into the body -would more people commit to having one?

I remember working with a salty old ex-sailor when I was in my Twenties who had various tatts up and down his arms and chest - he probably had them for a while and i'm assuming tattoo techniques have moved on somewhat because these tatts had all now morphed into various 'blobs' of merged colour that lacked any definition and delineation.

I also wonder about Tattoo placement location - if you have a Tatt on your back are you having it done for yourself? or the rest of the world to see? and if you choose your back as the location of your first tatt does this mean mentally you've been sitting on the fence and want to be able to hide it from your own eye line ?

Tatts do interest me - more the selection process that the choice goes through and what it says about a person or rather what they feel it says about them?

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@TeeDee
A non permanent (semi permanent) tattoo would make me take the bait. I know if I liked it I could go for the permanent lifelong option, but if I didn't then I'd have a couple years and I'd get to say "not doing that again!"

MattyWW

Feb 11, 2023
Leamington Spa
I have a solid black lightning bolt on my inside right wrist. Its there to remind me that only I have the power to change/make things better for myself.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't have any, and neither does my husband or our sons, or my brothers come to think of it.

One of my friends shares one with her daughter. They are both survivors, (not my story to tell) and the beautiful script on their wrists says simply, "I choose".
I think to be honest it means slightly different things to both of them, but their is such an understanding about the link, etc., that it overcomes that.

M

Reactions: Macaroon

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I know a guy in his 60's who has a tattoo with a good story....
So in his very late teens/early 20's he did something naughty and got caught...his friends convinced him that come court date he was going to do time, so obviously whilst he was out waiting for court date he went out on his "last night out" where they also convinced him that other inmates might become overly friendly in clink, so therefore he should get a tattoo on his behind stating no entry...

Went to court, didn't do time, has had a clean sheet since, but is marked for life!

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I like not having tattoos to set me apart from the people who have tattoos to set themselves apart from people who don't.

Reactions: nigelp and Robbi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE