A bit of (almost) primitive forging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Well, almost, because I used a compressor for air, but I may try to make a wood box blower someday.

Gravel bed, and refractory bricks, just layed out, the red tube goes to compressor, away because of noise.
dsc02882.jpg

My forge holder, can't be cheaper, 2.5 euro
dsc02885.jpg

Yep.it is hot
dsc02886.jpg

I think I am going to make a sandwitch, shirogami in the middle.
dsc02887.jpg

I tell you it went , finger in the nose ;-)
dsc02888.jpg

That's today production, the lower one is swimming pool quenched, hem... :lmao:
dsc02890.jpg

Yep, it is sandwitch, the softer steel moves faster.
dsc02891.jpg

here with some ferric perchlorate, it shows the different steel on the edge
dsc02893.jpg

Not bad?
dsc02894.jpg

Finished, my first sandwitch blade, my first ever forged blade too ;-)
dsc02898.jpg

The proof one can have fun for 28 Euro, anvil, hammer, bricks and holding device included :D

So did I start any interest :bandit:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Very inspiring.

The result seems excellent to being your first knife. Also excellent photos. Never tried forging, but it looks like fun, :)

How is the edge?

Makes me wonder how low tech one can go with this skill.

Torjus Gaaren

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
yes you did, im certainly going to fire up my primitive forge up when i go home at christmas, though i need to work out a better blower than my muva's hairdryer..
any ideas!?

great work JM :You_Rock_

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
The edge needs tempering, it scratches wood scissors right now, close to 63 is my current bet.
For a blower, really the air compressor is great. hoover exaust may have more power than an hair dryer...

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I got exactly the same cheap little anvil (from Monsieur Bricolage, I think, or maybe Leroy Merlin) a couple of years back with the idea of forging a few little blades, with a propane torch for a heat source. Didn't get round to doing much more than forging replacement parts for my kids' beds.

Doesn't such a small anvil jump about when you beat the metal?

Are you using beech and chestnut barbecue charcoal for fuel?

Now I'm in the US, and I didn't bring my anvil with me; I'll have to look for one, and get my finger out!

Keith.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
This is the larger blade, i had to shorten it because the san mai was faulty in the back of the blade
dsc02900.jpg

keith, the anvil jumps a bit, but it is fine...

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Yep, also, Olive or some cork oak root... It would be nice in olive, I agree.....
Olive / bronze bolster.... mmmmm ;)

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
JM said:
keith, the anvil jumps a bit, but it is fine...

Hey, I thought I'd left my baby anvil in France, but I spotted it in the cellar this afternoon!

Those firebricks you used, are they the hard "Pacema" type bricks, or the featherlight fragile bricks?

And did you use anything for flux when you made your sanwich?

I think I have an old file laying around... you've got me itching to forge a blade (at long last).

Keith.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Keith,

Yes, the fire bricks are the hard ones.

I used borax as a flux.

Have fun, a really easy setup that costs nothing and brings great fun...

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
JM said:
Keith,

Yes, the fire bricks are the hard ones.

I used borax as a flux.

Have fun, a really easy setup that costs nothing and brings great fun...

I just saw your post on BB, mentioning the borax flux.

I left my heavy hammer, firetongs, borax and all my hard firebricks in France; I just brought two soft bricks with me, for soldering and for making mokume game.

My heavy hammer is a sledgehammer (masse, or maybe massue) with the handle cut down to about 30cm (12"). I need another one for driving a wedge to split firewood, anyway.

I really need to start by getting some rebar and making a pair of tongs...

Keith.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Guys,
I'm trying to gather the necessaries to give this a go. Old files, improvised anvil, a few hammers and a propane burner etc, waiting for some firebricks off Shing. But your mention of Borax Flux has got me puzzled - can someone quickly explain what it does and where it is supposed to go, perhaps even where to get some ;)

TIA

Ogri the trog

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Ogri the trog said:
But your mention of Borax Flux has got me puzzled - can someone quickly explain what it does and where it is supposed to go, perhaps even where to get some ;)

Flux is used to prevent the surface of the steel from oxidising, so that the faces weld together more easily. You don't really need it unless you want to do forge welding, like JM did with his sandwich of hard steel between two pieces of soft steel.

Many people use anhydrous borax as flux. I got mine from a supplier to the porcelain trade near Limoges. This si part of the same group as PotteryCrafts

But searching on that site for "borax" gets me nowhere. :(

You could ask Shing if he can get you some borax when he's getting the firebricks.

I've read that Poul Strand uses beach sand.

Keith.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
The borax flux is for welding the tree kind of steel together and build the sandwitch. It has an acidic effect and keeps the surfaces free of scories, unoxigenized, and ready to bond. If you intend to forge a knife from a file without doing forge welding, do not bother.

If you intend to make a sandwitch, then the surfaces mus be cleaned with an angle grinder, then the bar assembled and when orange hot, borax powder applied to the sides. Then heat to yellow and hammer, the sandwitch should take. Can then clean the edges with the grinder, make it a clean bar, and forge the knife,
a lot of work.

As you see, I went a little difficult for my first forge try ;-) (and I was bloody lucky it worked!)

As an air source you can also find a double effect rubber matress manual inflater...

Keith, surely you can find a few bricks in the states ? the thongs, yes, well, my grip thongs are OK finally, and cheaper in time and money to make ;-)

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
JM said:
Keith, surely you can find a few bricks in the states ? the thongs, yes, well, my grip thongs are OK finally, and cheaper in time and money to make ;-)

I know I'll be able to find some bricks here. I was replying to Ogri the trog, who is trying to find some in the UK.

Your mole grips (vise grips) welded onto a bar look OK, but I don't have a pair of grips that I want to sacrifice, and I don't have an electric welder to hand.

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE