A bit of a wash out!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well - the dates for this weekend in the woods were planned well in advance ... well before a weather forcast was available...
Last weekend was great.... this one not so good!
I pitched up in the woods after work - at about 10am and got my shelter up (with its new ridge line) and fought the chute up, got some firewood in etc and had just started work on the continued rebuild of the table when Phil rocked up, for his first outing with us, swiftly followed by Bishop, on his second visit.
To stat with the weather played fair and we all got settled in, had a brew and went for a bimble to show Phil some of the square mile we can play in (and to collect more wood for the table top and get in more water, before lunch.
Later on it started to rain and blow and the wind shield was deployed ... but as all the wood was a bit damp the chute filled with smoke - wind or flames - you cannot get away with neither!
We all had issues with our shelters - Phil had a bit of rain blow in, Bishop had a swimming pool develop in his tarp and my ridgeline stretch, bringing the roof to a point 6" lower than I pitched it. The chute aso became quite baggy and has yet to keep all the rain out .. so the mist that came through soon had everything damp....
No one stayed up late and we were all in bed not long after full dark had fallen.
Sat morning and it was still raining but after breakfast I did some work on the broken tripod chair and watched the others pack to leave - do not get me wrong, both had already said they could only do the Friday night ... it is not they were wimping out or anything... honest...
I considered my options - I could stay the St night on my own, with a forecast that prommissed more rain and spend Sunday morning wrestling a damp chute and windshield back into their barrel on my tod... after a wet day and evening where most of the work I had in mind (foraging, re-siting the loo, repairing the chute ) were really multi person jobs or I could cut my losses, get the guys to help drop the chute and spend Sat getting my kit clean and dry then playing on the confuser in the dry...
The guys helped pack the chute and then I did a couple of small jobs (like sort out my ridge line which stays permanently strung!) and then followed in their wake, getting home around noon! Naturally, just as I packed my tarp away the sun came out ! But it soon hid in the rain again...
I blame Bishop for the weather - it always rains when he visits...
My pitch on Friday
P5200001.jpg
P5200003.jpg
The Chute
P5200008.jpg
The table
P5200005.jpg
The woods
P5200004.jpg
P5200009.jpg
P5200007.jpg
Phil's pitch
P5200012.jpg
Bishops pitch
P5200011.jpg
A bit of a wash out - and the chute will be soaking for the next trip :(
I hope that Phil braves another visit and that Bishop stops bringing the rain and wind with him!
Talking of wind - be careful with Aldi Choritzo ... talk about wind!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A damp camp is never fun but at least you got out :)

Packing up early meant you also managed to sort out your pics so we don't get stiff necks looking at them :lmao:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I only brought the rain, Jon's wind was self inflicted :p

Friday morning was pretty good though, I jumped on the bus to Cenarth geared up for cold & wet and ended up stripping off down to a T-shirt for hike in.
attachment.php

Thought the forecast was for somewhere between horrible and abysmal a Clynfyw meet is worth it whatever the weather. So if you're sick of the sight of Spruce plantations this is the place to come with ancient trees in forest glades and places of mystery to be explored.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Friday night however was inclement as forecast and by Saturday morning the steadily worsening conditions transformed my 3x3 tarp into a one man pup-tent with a pool.

attachment.php

Weather aside I suffered additional disasters of kit failure with the spring pin falling out my folding saw. So for the first time in a long while my multi-tool was used for something other than a pot-grabber as I wrestled apart my keyring for a field repair. Something to watch out for if any of you have a similarly constructed saw.
attachment.php

Not sure how I managed it but also forgot to pack any eating irons, no fork, spork or even a teaspoon and ended up whittling a one with just a regular Opinel.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG1792.jpg
    IMAG1792.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMAG1802.jpg
    IMAG1802.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMAG1825.jpg
    IMAG1825.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMAG1813.jpg
    IMAG1813.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG1837.jpg
    IMAG1837.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG1834.jpg
    IMAG1834.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 126

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And now the weather has defied the forecast I saw on Thursday and is now giving a perfect sunny evening... rats! I could have enjoyed tonight out as well!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Brave campers indeed, it's lovely spot you have to explore there. I camp in old Beech woodland, it really makes a difference, 'tis good for the mind and soul.

Bishop, get a Ti Spork, don't tell Fenna. And get some goldfish :lmao:

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Being out in the rain is always a good way to find out if you have the basics right! I personally go out whatever the weather and there's nothing better than being tucked in my sleeping bag/bivvi bag, listening to the rain tapping away on my tarp!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh yes - I love that sound!
My biggest concern was wrestling with the wet chute on my own ... I have just had a cortisone injection in my duff right shoulder and it has yet to really kick in PLUS I stupidly stubbed my thumb while setting up the chute - both on my dominant side! I could see the game being less than fun.
Solo wet weather trips hold no fears for me normally (living where I do and with the number of Bushy friends I have if they did I would never get out!) but I appreciate group help with the group equipment :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE