A bargain knife, Vesuvius by Alfredo Doricchi.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm posting this over here not because I'm trying to benefit Alfredos profits, I can't imagine they are great considering the price. It's here because it looks to be a very well made piece, and comes with a fire steel and excellent carry system.

The "recommend me a knife" question comes up often, this looks to be a good package. And, it's not a boring scandi :27:

Alfredo posts on BritishBlades as MartinEden, he actually uses and tests knives properly when out, so his and Stuart Mitchells input on the design will not be something dreamt up, it will have evolved from the original Vesuvius knife. I have absolutely no need of another fixed blade, but I'm still somewhat tempted.

https://www.heinnie.com/black-fox-vesuvius

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Wow! The last thing I thought I needed but that is amazing value. Lovely looking too and I reckon it'll do the business as you say. I used to waste more than that on a night out and wake up with nothing but unspecified regret and a hangover. I've treated myself to one to celebrate giving all that up ��

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like the sheath might be ambidextrous, can the tek-lok be unbolted and mounted on the other side for a lefty like me?

I've been meaning to give a flat grind a go for a while now...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Looks like the sheath might be ambidextrous, can the tek-lok be unbolted and mounted on the other side for a lefty like me?

I've been meaning to give a flat grind a go for a while now...

I'm not too sure, you can ask him on BB. Not sure if he's a member here, but he's a regular "go out and see what it does" guy. Sheath looks like a regular pancake, I'd imagine it could be reversed.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Looks a nice knife for the money for sure....i'm amazed he can turn them out for what HH must be paying him

It's his design. Much like Spyderco will work with a designer and then set up production. I can't see him on a major profit however.

That Alfredo?

Yep.

Looks nice. Can you buy direct (and hence cheaper)?

No idea. He's not the manufacturer, he designed it with Stu M, got it built as cheaply as he could. It's cheap enough anyway, no?

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Decided to treat myself to one of these, arrived yesterday and I'm so disappointed, The handle scales are not rounded on the top so press into the palm when any pressure is applied to cut! :( Might just be that it doesn't suite my hand.
I'd be very interested to hear what others who have one think?

Modchop

Oct 17, 2013
Shropshire
Exactly the same for me, arrived yesterday and already on it's way back to Heinnie's which is a shame as I really wanted to like this knife and it almost delivered.
The handle tubes are very poor quality and are not swaged properly which leaves them proud of the scales and sharp. Not a great picture but this will give an idea...

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
The design looks pretty ok. The sheath, belt lock, and firesteel are nice too. However, these all add to the price, plus VAT, shop take and tansport; to the point how much has been invested in the knife? 440C steel and some shoddy finish shows where some savings have been made.
As a knife it might be OK, I don't know.

In truth when it comes to inexpensive knives, well not mega bucks knives, I prefer something obviously honest. I've just bought one of these, and I'll get a 110 shortly, I love Skramas. Its obvious what has been spent and finish is far from perfect but practicability they are 100% there. Good steel sharpened with a rubber grip for not a lot; that will do me.
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-140-carbon-steel/53635
I have some much higher cost knives where fit and finish and the whole package ouses quality. To get that quality is going to cost. Modern manufacturing techniques should make it easier and in truth does as in truth there is less junk out there. Sadly not much in saving is passed on. Anyhow expectations are now high; show some part poorly done and alarm bells go off. No excuse really.

There is a bun fight going on at the mid range market. Not everything is going to pass inspection. If something is actually quite good enough then only testing can tell. Here, expectations were "could do better" whatever the price. Again it might be fine as a knife, I don't know. There are a lot of knives out there, competition fierce, the vast majority don't rock my boat.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
It's just a shame that the handle wasn't manufactured better, the design of the knife is what drew me to it and I very much doubt the original designed by Alfredo had such sharp edges on the handle. For £65 quid it was worth a punt, it just sadly doesn't work for me :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE