9.50pm - BBC2 "Wonderland - the man who eatsbadgers and other roadkill"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Heads up (assuming that you didn't already know about it!). Program about a bloke who lives on Dartmore who eats road kill and badgers and stuf and is in the process of finalising a recipe book for road kill.

Sounds interesting if nothing else!

Chris

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I always considered that there would be a few wierdo pointy heads living down there, but this took the biscuit! To be fair, they probably edited out the sensible bits and just kept the lunacy bits in! It was like watching Bottom, but Richie and Eddie have gone their seperate ways!

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Quite an opening :Wow:

'You dirty, filthy, road kill eating cant'.

OK, so I would have dialled 14713 when he's eating his 'legitimate' bacon butty and hiss 'you filthy, dirty, intensively reared abattoir killed eating walt' but I fear he'd miss the point.

Then we see Mr Boyd collecting roadkill and showing us the the contents of his freezer - fair enough I'm thinking - that's what I am interested in seeing.

However...

I then wondered if this was actually the BBC who had made this. With the 'wacky' music overlaying the strange and weird vibe of the cinematography it seemed to me to be coloured with, not exactly an agenda but, something and it pricked me.

'Are they building a story?' I thought. 'Giving some kind of quirky angle?'.

Maybe :dunno: , as the following characters came along I at first thought they were being put across as backwater yokels. Watching further I soon came to the conclusion that these we just folk that were living their lives with trials and tribulations that brings but the editing seemed to have an emphasis to show them in a 'quirky angle'.

The man who eats badgers? Thinking about it, it is quite a provocative title but coming from the BBC I just assumed it was a film about a bloke who ate badgers!

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
The trailer put me off sufficiently. No problems with eating road kill (personally I'd give it
a swerve* unless my fortunes took an unexpected downturn) but the brief impression I got
of the angle they were going for was that it was more a 'look at these eccentric people'
than 'look at this interesting way of exploiting an otherwise underused resource'.

But I didn't watch it so I don't know, but your comments suggest I wasn't far off ;)

*pun not intended - I have never bothered to learn to drive.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, he said he has never eaten cat, and I can tell you that he is missing out! I had what I was told was a chicken kebab in Oman. The fact that I never saw a single chicken in the whole country, but plenty of sheepish looking cats should have told me something! Halfway through my second one (they were about the size of a spring roll before anyone calls me a lard a***!), a mate told me exactly what it was and that was when I realised it didn't taste quite like any chicken I had ever eaten before. It was tastier, juicier and had a tint of mouse to it!

:D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I think we had a couple of potential forum members there....
I think it was a very exploitative bit of filming that the editors should be ashamed of and I have nothing but sympathy for the poor souls who have been portrayed as such "wierd" people.
Imagine what a film maker could do with YOUR life as a subject!

I have no trouble with people who eat road kill, do tai chi, sing badly, have had relationships go bad etc.
I do have issues with someone who then thinks "I can make these people look realy stupid - and make money doing it!"
I did not think much of the roadkill blokes skinning technique though....

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I started to watch this, however quickly decided to go and do something else as it was far from what I expected from the BBC. This wasn't the informative television show I was expecting, it was poorly shot and definately poorly edited ( for sensationalism (sp) ) The Subject matter could have made this much better than what was delivered to us.

Oh aye Spamel, I believe when he was asked if he'd ever had cat, he said yes several times in the past but a long time ago? Not that it matters. I think it was around there I began to lose interest, possibly around the guy trying to find what was killing the sheep ( wild panthers apparently )...

Nagual.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I was looking forward to this being shown but it was all edited to make them look probably slightly crazier than they probably are. The guy that hunted panther seemed just a little bitter about something but also if he saw two panthers down that "lair" he went into then surely the beast of bodmin moor coul now be easily found. It was the minister on the quad bike that made me laugh though, what a guy!

Jan 22, 2006
uk
the part where the chap went into the supposed big cat lair was slightly strange... He filled his pants (understandably) when he apparently saw 2 sets of eyes looking back at him in the dark, although if they did belong to big cats i'm fairly sure we'd have heard hissing from them.

Its a real shame they didnt show any of the tracks he mentioned, i have my doubts it was a cat taking the sheep - and i really do believe that there are big cats around - but the kills didnt quite look right to me, hard to tell though.

I must admit i thought it was one of the best things i've seen for a while on telly, even though the film maker tried to portray them in a certain way (wasnt hard at times) they just came across as people on the very fringe of society, nothing wrong with that.

I've butchered and eaten road kill (muntjac) only once, and his mention of organic etc was fair enough (although theres no proof its organic - could have been eating poison before it was run over for all he knew) but when he said that he'd managed to resist digging up the previous cat for the bones (interesting because it had 3 legs apparently) it rang a little alarm in my head....i think its fair to say he seemed to have a fascination with death as much as anything else. still, seemed harmless. the lads laughing as they threatened him will most likely end up in his freezer one day though!

loved it, hope the stars of the show aren't too aggrieved. there's a bit of them in all of us here i bet :)

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
I watched the program. Yes they were colourful characters, but who on this forum is not what others may class as a bit strange?:rolleyes:
I am sure with the editing those guys got, a week or two in our lives we could all be made out to be "One string short of a bow drill set".

Lets look at some of the points.
1) Who here eats wild food, be it gathered greens or meat?
2) Who here enjoys one's own company away in off the beaten track places?
3) Who here likes to find and follow animal tracks?
4) There may be some on here who have had a relationship break up or suffer due to our interests or away of life.
5) Who on here has strong view on subjects relating to outdoors, wildlife etc?
6) Who on here has, does practice martial arts, even out in the fresh air?

As I said if that film crew spent a couple of weeks with some of us, if they wanted to edit it in such a way I am possitive they could make us out to be quite strange or even barking mad:red: .

I enjoyed the program, yes some bits made me laugh, a quad biking, tone deaf vicar, that guy is great. :lmao:

I would like to spend a day with the tracker guy, I may be able to learn from him and I would love him to show me that cave. :eek: Would I go in? Errrmm I will let you know when that comes.:Wow:

It is a shame the BBC chose to portray this documentary in the way it did, it could have been done very differently IMO.

And yes, I can answer yes to all the above questions, am I mad. :p OK dont answer that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE