70-ish liters backpack of good quality?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
I'm looking for a new backpack in medium size, around 70 liters plus sidepockets.
The criterias are:
* It has to be tough.
* Natural colours (black, green or a combination of these two).
* Good belt and back system.
* Avalible in my size, either adjustable backsystem, or different lengths offered by manufacturer.

The Karrimor Sabre 75 would seem to be the obvious choice, but sadly it's too short for my back. So it have to be something else.

Pricing is not an issue, as i know good quality pays off in the long term :)

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
You can try the Berghaus Vulcan.
I've used one very hard the last 15 years, and it's never failed me. Comfy to carry and extremely hard wearing.
The only two gripes I have is that it doesn't have any wand pockets, and that I sometimes pack too much stuff into it (because I can).

Or try the Norrona Para Ranger.
It might be too big for you, but this too is a sack that will take anything you can throw at it in its stride.
I've had it's smaller brother (which sadly is out of production now) for 10 years now, and if I go for longer hiking trips where I change location every day, I choose this before the Vulcan (better carrying system).

Or why don't you try the Lundhags V8 75.
Again a hardwearing rucksack that will last you many, many years. It's missing the side pockets you're asking for, but has some smaller pockets that take more stuff than you would believe.

Or you have the slightly cheaper Snugpak Bergen.
I don't have so much personal experience with this one though, but I'm sure someone else on the forums can help you out there.

Just a couple of suggestions from rucksacks that I've had carried on my back for longer stretches and that I found that I like.
Good luck in your search!!

/ Karl

Ive got a "Forces 88 olive" i think it is about 80 litres, its very comftable and well made, i got it from www.sofmilitary.co.uk cost £44.99

RUC130.jpg

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I have a Highlander 75 litre its been a good rucksack up so far I have completely filled it to the top and it has held out. It even got completely submerged in water when i went to loch awe when our boat took on alot of water in very heavy weather, and to my suprise it was bone dry inside. Lucky for me as my wifes camera was inside. I think it was about 30 pond from evil

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
The Danish bergen is an exact copy of the british one, and i really hate it :D
The load bearing system is also designed to be worn over a PLCE system, so the hip belt is not going to the hips.

The berghaus vulcan seem a tad big for me, but maybe it's just a question of packing disipline, so the backpack can be sued for both summer and winter.

What about Lowe Alpine Salient? I have heard good things about this one also, but it seems to be a bit aged (15 year old design).

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Has anyone tried the military Tatonka range? The Tasmanian Tiger brand. The pack look quite good and the loading system very comfortable. best of all they accept modular attachements.
I am looking at the Pathfinder - an 85l pack.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
The bigger packs should be a tad heavy and the load carrying system isn't top of the range compared to what you pay for it. The smaller ones should be excelent.

Ramapo

Aug 14, 2007
NYC
Have you looked at the stuff made by Osprey? I think the Crescent comes in the size you need and that it comes in a green color.

I swear by the Osprey stuff. It wears hard and is very comfortable.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
The Berghaus Vulcan can be made 'smaller' by feeding the lid straps through the loops at the bottom first before clipping onto the lid. This allows the lid to be pulled down a lot further than normal and thus giving a smaller tighter pack.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Snugpak Bergan is a great pack. I sold it because it was too small for me, i'm 6'3 ish though

I've got a Macpac Glissade so would highly recommend it. Fits me really well and is quite adjustable. I have a size 3. Not sure about colours though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE