6 Months in the Middle Ages: Surviving the Moscow Winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Ah that is interesting.

Even if it is more of a business it is still worthwhile; there is nothing wrong with that as long as people understand that is the case.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
I agree, just noticed that it is not scientific, but entertainment project.
This is a copy of some medieval festivals in Scandinavia for example, but it is not a serious project as "Oseberg ship".

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I agree, just noticed that it is not scientific, but entertainment project.
This is a copy of some medieval festivals in Scandinavia for example, but it is not a serious project as "Oseberg ship".

Ooh now having spent a week on the Oseberg ship I can agree that was a serious experimental archaeology project.
The trick with experimental archaeology is that it has to pose and attempt to answer some questions that we don't know the answers to. I am not sure what questions this project is posing. I don't understand the blurb about seeing how he fares physiologically being alone, I am sure there is plenty of research data on that subject from folk that did not have film crews, doctors and girlfriends visiting. Nor is it answering questions about how folk lived since they didn't live alone. The home is based on homes from Novgorod, in 1998 I visited excavations at Novgorod, sat on the doorstep of a cabin where many folk had sat 1000 years before, it was a thriving trading community. He has enough food, shelter warm clothes and tools to live comfortably, I am sure it will be great fun, I would be very happy to do it.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I think he will be fine,

Hes in an environment he has grown up in and knows what to expect, I think it can be quite easy to fall in to the trap of looking at this through british eyes where we dont have long hard winters like they do in Russia however if thats what your used to then you will have grown up knowing how to behave the difference with this being that he has know modern conveniences to use.

To me this sounds like a fun project and if they do a documentary on it I would be interested to watch it

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
It says that he'll update a blog using a tablet pc.

Where he gets the electricity to keep it powered - and how the 'police' it's usage is not mentioned.

Call me a cynic but I get a mental image of him sitting in a nice specially build cosy cottage filled to the brim with food supplies, a roaring fire, nice cuppa tea and sitting down and watching a good film on the tablet:)

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
Solar provides enough energy for tablet pc.
No, he lives far from comfortable.
Cold rains all the time, and his clothes not dry, leather impregnation do not work (not any oil or wax), a lot of mud.
Problems of ventilation in the house, everywhere a lot of smoke and soot. Psychologically, he is depressed and a little sick.
basic medical education, no experience in hunting or farmer, just purely urban man plays in the Middle Ages.
And that's just the first week.

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
On the cover shot of the website http://www.ratobor.com/alone.html approximately half way down on the right hand side is an interesting image. It appears that someone is shaving the trama layer off of a false tinder fungus, or a similar fungus. Could anyone enlighten me about the russian tradition of preparing and using the trama layer?

The knife is also somewhat unique, as it is curved into a hook. Is this a traditional blade style, if so, what is it designed for, how is it used. Any ideas to share on this one?

Thanks.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Looks like it will be a fun project. Big budget but I guess it's not cheap getting period accurate foods in bulk? I don't see why he's not got warm clothes? Should he be making them?

he should have done it here - http://www.ancienttechnologycentre.co.uk

not quite as harsh a winter but the buildings are all accurate enough. I know they were built with period techniques by hand as I helped. ;)
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE