6 Months in the Middle Ages: Surviving the Moscow Winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
My wife just sent me this link:

http://en.ria.ru/analysis/20130923/...-Middle-Ages-Surviving-the-Moscow-Winter.html

"In an experiment launched in Khotkovo, just a few dozen kilometers from the hustle and bustle of Europe’s largest megalopolis, a 24-year-old man will spend six months alone in a medieval-style farmstead. The idea is to see if a modern person can survive in a 9th-century environment, with no access to electricity, the Internet or other modern amenities, and what impact living a hermit’s life will have on his psychological state."

This will be a story to follow.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That was my reaction!

He won't be entirely isolated though as he will be having monthly visits and assessments, but I would be very surprised if he makes it through.

I hope he proves me wrong.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
He will probably be fine. He is russian [bat hard] and the farmstead sounds well set up.

Personally I wouldnt do the russian winter on my own either, but middles ages kit and and enough dry firewood I wouldn't miss the modern world.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
He will probably be fine. He is russian [bat hard] and the farmstead sounds well set up.

Personally I wouldnt do the russian winter on my own either, but middles ages kit and and enough dry firewood I wouldn't miss the modern world.

I feel inclined to agree with this. The farmstead looks to have been well built and stocked the only problems he is likely to experience is loneliness (other than the hard work of it). However starting off an experiment like that by jumping straight in at the deep end of a russian winter doesn't seem like the smartest of plans imo. It doesn't look as though anyone has actually lived on the farmstead prior to this extended experiment, however I do very much wish him the best of luck.

That said, it is still an amazing thing to do and a fantastic opportunity for him I reckon!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I was pondering this on the way home and I think the dry wood bit will be the make or break of the project.

We use tons of the stuff on our woodland schools project just for cooking during the summer; I didn't see a wood store the size of Westminster Abbey, which is what he'll need to survive the winter!

xylaria

I was pondering this on the way home and I think the dry wood bit will be the make or break of the project.

We use tons of the stuff on our woodland schools project just for cooking during the summer; I didn't see a wood store the size of Westminster Abbey, which is what he'll need to survive the winter!

It depends on how small a space he is heating, considering how undeveloped parts of russia have in living memory there is enough living knowledge on how big a woodpile needs to be.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Russian peasants we regarded as virtually hibernating in the depths of winter entering a sort of fugue state at times. This would seem a useful strategy probably not available to him with a feeling he had to keep busy.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
It depends on how small a space he is heating, considering how undeveloped parts of russia have in living memory there is enough living knowledge on how big a woodpile needs to be.

Oh I quite agree; my point was just that I didn't see any reference to how much he would need to have stored.

rg598

Native
What I find interesting is that the 9th century farmstead is not all that different from a current one in the villages in Eastern Europe and Russia. I have relatives who live in virtually identical conditions as we speak. The only difference is that the current houses have a coating of home made plaster and there is a hand operated water pump for the well in the yard (I assume he will be getting his water from a river).

I didn't notice any mention of the most essential provision for winter living in such conditions-an ample supply of alcohol. Brewing up enough liquor (we called it rakia in Bulgaria) is an essential part of preparing for winter. When the snow falls, you make one path to the animals so you can feed them, another path to the water, and the rest of the time you sit around the stove and enjoy the fruits of your labor. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think that's what has the average Brit scratching their head. We just don't do Winters doing nothing. It's just not cold enough long enough here to get into that mindset of not so much hibernating but a fugue state. There's always something changing, something to be doing, something to see, people to meet up with, etc.,
Drowsy through the short, overcast grey days of the depths of it, yes, but we look forward to Winter as the seasons turn. There's an excitement in the first snows (indeed if there's snow ) but we know it won't last, so we just enjoy it while we can.

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"The third room serves as an animal barn. The organizers have provided Pavel with several goats and hens to make sure he always has fresh milk and eggs among his staples. The reenactment group told RIA Novosti that the budget for the experiment is about 2 million rubles ($63,000). Pavel is not likely to starve to death. He will also sustain himself by hunting in local woods, where foxes and hares can still be found, and by going fishing. When hunting, however, he will have to rely exclusively on period tools. As firearms had not been invented in the 9th century, he will have to try his hand at setting traps and catching prey with nets."

$63000 so around top end of £40K. We live nicely on around £40k or a little more net of tax in the UK so he should do fine. A challenge to be sure but not life threatening. Send over some UK foragers maybe?

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
$63000 so around top end of £40K. We live nicely on around £40k or a little more net of tax in the UK so he should do fine. A challenge to be sure but not life threatening. Send over some UK foragers maybe?

It isn't clear where that budget has been/will be spent.

Yes over here that is a decent wedge but don't forget we interact with the outside world to spend it on goods and services. He is supposed to be alone with a monthly medical check up and that's it. Unless he plans to play a lot of poker with the goat then my guess is most of the budget went in building the site?

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
West Russian is not really cold, and no danger predators like in Siberia.
6 month in good new farm with provision, no problem. Most Russians deep in country, survive in more hard condition.
For example some very old people live alone anywhere in forgotten Siberian village.
This farm kreated by very popular in modern Russian patriot-nationalist club "Ратоборцы" "Ritter". This is more political show.
Interesting symbolic.
a_87c22f06.jpg

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
His girl will visit him every month.
This advertising program for future tourist attraction like "Medieval Disneyland".
Many in Russia laugh about this project.
This is not really correct historical reconstruction, cabin was made witch modern technique, not with axe.

Official page, video in Discovery Channel style, "Alone in the past" . :lmao:
http://www.ratobor.com/alone.html
Home Alone.

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Interesting to get another view of the story.

Is there an English web site? I couldn't see any page options.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE