58 pattern water bottle - taste ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I've seen a couple of comments recently about water stored in a 58 pattern water bottle getting a distinctive taste.

Does this stay to the extent of tasting tea/coffee made with the water?

Thanks,

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
lol..............you get accustomed to it and its comforting...well it is to me but i was weaned on them.

Pip pip
John

Mmmm, well I do remember having plastic water bottles years ago for hill walking/camping (not 58 patt) and didn't like it. I've also just got some Swedish army folding cups and finding the taste they give my coffee pretty disgusting.

Thanks,

Graham

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
they make water taste like plastic? hadn't really noticed, but have been using them for a long time. probably better than the taste of the water straight from the tap in some areas!
Rob

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Think the taste is if you leave stuff in them.

Also is there not a thing about not putting anything other than water in them?

Try using false teeth cleaning tablets in the bottle, they work well as cleaners.

Think the taste is if you leave stuff in them.

Also is there not a thing about not putting anything other than water in them?

Try using false teeth cleaning tablets in the bottle, they work well as cleaners.

Sound advice above. Also, baby bottle sterilizing tablets ot Milton gets rid of the taste/smell. It won't actually do you any harm. Just don't store the half full bottle for 6 months though. Always empty it after use and leave it to dry. I've used 58 pattern bottles for years and they are all fine. No bad smell or taste.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I'll second using Milton to get rid of the musty plastic smell if you leave it too long with water in. I also find storing fruit drinks can taint the water a little. I just give mine a milton rinse once in a while as a preventative.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Thanks everyone, seems to be some conflict of views here.

think at least some are talking about the stale smell that develops if you leave some water in a plastic container. Where as Scottisha5 and the people on the nostalgia thread are talking about a permanent background taste.

However its comforting to know that not everyone seems to be concious of a background taste.

Graham

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I sort of partly agree with both sides of the argument.

Never really bothered me, I only store tap water in mine and it does have a "distinctive taste" I'd also go as far as saying it has a "distinctive smell" as well!, but I'm just used to it.
It definitely happened in my US army water bottles I had too.
I think it would happen in any plastic container.

is it perhaps to do with the gradual breakdown of the rubber washer?

funny story, just after My TA training I was told of another guy that joined a few weeks after me, he stored Cola in his 58" bottle. :confused:

when it came to cooking his rations and personal Hygiene (washing/shaving) he suddenly had a very confused look on his face (and I imagine a few press-ups)!:lmao:

strange really, because it was commonplace in WW2 to carry tea or lemonade in the water bottles.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I sort of partly agree with both sides of the argument.

Never really bothered me, I only store tap water in mine and it does have a "distinctive taste" I'd also go as far as saying it has a "distinctive smell" as well!, but I'm just used to it.
It definitely happened in my US army water bottles I had too.
I think it would happen in any plastic container.

Maybe it just depends on how sensitive you are to these things, and I suspect circumstances: different things take on different levels of importance. When I replaced my plastic (but not 58 patt ) water bottles with Nalgene/Lexan the taste issues vanished.

Nothing to do with coke, but my Grandpa, who was in WW2 put his permanent tan down to shaving in tea !!

Thanks,

Graham

Jan 29, 2010
Devon
I've never really had problems with the taste but i have had problems with the smell. A friend of mine told me to always store the bottle with the lid off as it allows whatever little drops of water left in the bottle to evaporate and not go manky and make your bottle smell. And it seemed to sort the problem :D

hope this helps.
Rambo

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I've never really had problems with the taste but i have had problems with the smell. A friend of mine told me to always store the bottle with the lid off as it allows whatever little drops of water left in the bottle to evaporate and not go manky and make your bottle smell. And it seemed to sort the problem :D

Yes, I would expect that to help with the smell, thanks.

Graham

oscari

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 28, 2010
outdoors
Fill the bottle with cold water and add 2 tablespoons of sugar,leave over night with the lid on.In the morning give it s good shake and rinse with clean water.This will get rid of the taste ,remember to store the bottle empty and with the cap off.This will cure the taste issue.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Fill the bottle with cold water and add 2 tablespoons of sugar,leave over night with the lid on.In the morning give it s good shake and rinse with clean water.This will get rid of the taste ,remember to store the bottle empty and with the cap off.This will cure the taste issue.

Thanks, but if you read through the thread you will see its got a little sidetracked, I'm not actually having a problem with smell or taste, but thanks for the tip, should I need it.

Graham

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
most plastic bottles give a revolting taste to water. That's why we (mrs M and I) use naglene bottles, just as tough as other plastics, but no taste.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
To minimise the taste:

Wash them thoroughly
Use Milton fluid or similar to sterilise (I remove the seal and sterilise it too)
Fill with fresh water
Change the water a few times and leave over night

Most of the taste (but not all) disappears. It is worth putting up with because they are virtually indestructible. An excellent piece of kit.

PREPER....... :)

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
To get the smell out of any type of drink bottle, flask etc. You need to put salt and hot water in it and leave it for a while with the top on loose.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE