5 Items Or Less.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I think water should be a freebie Chris as some folk have access to good potable water where as others have nothing and need to carry in, what do you reckon ?

ah but im going to an area i have never been to before, the 2 night job that is, so i dont know whats there really.........however i will put it to the vote, if you all think yes then its a....... Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.....

as for kits being counted as 1 item it depends, for eg a bow drill kit makes sence to be counted as 1 item as it cant be used with less parts, however a set of pans say 4 or 5 to a set would count as 1 each....... do you see the method in my madness???????

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
the reason for me doing this is to force myself to use more of whats around ie food cordage etc.....

its just become far to easy to go in my bergan and grab the para cord etc or food that has been stashed there from the kitchen fridge...

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Ok, going out next weekend and will be keeping my finger crossed for good weather

Items may change but the 5 that are in my head are

1. Hatchet
2. Ferro
3. Blanket
4. Flour
5. Can of beans

Plus free bits

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
My five will be: Firesteel, knife, blanket, billy can, tarp. I think i will have a big 3 course meal before i go then at least if we cant find any wild edibles i wont get too hungry :)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thats my plan, the woods are fool of tender children this time of year, but the odd tank here and there does not go a miss, bit tough though.....:)

;) enjoy your walk in the woods gents.....lol ha ha ha ha

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Whats the closing date for this? :)
Really want to give it ago but might be to late for the comp due to work, ill still try it either way :D

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
im going to do this ASAP, my list is....

1. GB small forest axe
2.Bottle of water
3.Sleeping bag - snugpack softie
4. flint and steel
5. tin of alphebetty spaghetti

i will also take my first aid kit and mobile phone, just to be cool.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
By the gist of the rules set out, I thought water was free, but the receptacle costs as an item. So if water not locally available a 15L container counts as 1 item, and if water is available you can pick it up in your billy and boil it (billy also one item), or if the water is that fresh you can collect in your water bottle (bottle 1 item), or for no items at all you can stick your head in a stream and take your fill like a camel.
Is this more what you were going for Chris?
5 items is pretty hardcore if food is counting as an item. Sounds good!#
Tank - I like the idea of just taking flour as food

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
By the gist of the rules set out, I thought water was free, but the receptacle costs as an item. So if water not locally available a 15L container counts as 1 item, and if water is available you can pick it up in your billy and boil it (billy also one item), or if the water is that fresh you can collect in your water bottle (bottle 1 item), or for no items at all you can stick your head in a stream and take your fill like a camel.
Is this more what you were going for Chris?
5 items is pretty hardcore if food is counting as an item. Sounds good!#
Tank - I like the idea of just taking flour as food

yes mate, i was going for a bit more hard core, but water and bottle is now free as that seems to be what people feel is fair......i would have counted water and bottle as 1 item, like with the bow drill, if it needs a group of parts to work then it makes sence to count that group as 1 item, another would be a tent, not very survival but could be done as 1 item.......

i have been meaning to do this for some time, and for no other reason than to test myself, and force myself to really use my eyes and ears, and fine what food is about..... im sure i wont go hungry but very sure i will miss lots of things, but hey, its how we learn, adleast i do, i just kind of have to jump in and go for it....

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I'm in for this! Being that I am across the pond, I am not interested in being considered for the competition prize. I'll put some thought to my list and will post up my gear. I look forward to doing this outing and seeing what others do on their outings. Have fun and be safe!

Gordy

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
sounding good Gordy, obviously you will be given free items for safety against animal attack, pepper spray or side arm etc, what ever you feel you need for safety.....

i look forward to seeing what you can do, your area should offer allot more that what we can do in our tiny woods....:)

be safe mate...

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE