4x4 your favourite?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Yep, as i said.....a damn tight fit :D
Never seen 8 people in/on one though. That would have been a nightmare to drive, well until all but three of them fell off lol

Yeah, my thoughts too. Mind you, I never said they could ride "comfortably." LOL

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wasn't knocking the old jeeps, they were competent off roaders. Just that particular vid didn't show off any actual ability at all.....

Yeah I agree, not true ability to "go anywhere" granted. But that one bit where they were bouncing over the corrugated course at medium speed certainly demonstrated it was controllable.

Last edited:

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
I've had 6 or 7 on my jeep, I just didn't go very fast or brake hard else the lads on the bonnet would have gotten a free flying lesson... my friend had 6 in his on green lane type terrain and it was ok...bit of a squeeze but not bouncy....

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've had 6 or 7 on my jeep, I just didn't go very fast or brake hard else the lads on the bonnet would have gotten a free flying lesson... my friend had 6 in his on green lane type terrain and it was ok...bit of a squeeze but not bouncy....

I've had four people on an FS1E (two on the seat, one on the tank and one sitting on the handlebars) but wouldn't want to do a couple of miles like that again.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Demographic is spot on, we're feeding game birds (pheasant) for shooting.

Oddly enough there seems to be a certain amount of fallen wood that strays into the Landy for the return journey - sort of ballast I suppose! ;)

Dave

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Demographic is spot on, we're feeding game birds (pheasant) for shooting=Quote]

Fair enough. It was the amount (a half ton) that made me think of livestock. I don't think we feed that much even in the deer feeding stations over here.

Oddly enough there seems to be a certain amount of fallen wood that strays into the Landy for the return journey - sort of ballast I suppose! ;)

Dave

goodjob Sounds good to me

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
We have small feeders like the one in the picture, but we have several of them dotted about around the shoot, with, in our case a few larger "bunkers" where we keep stockpiles. When the weather is good it's a case of driving from feeder to feeder and topping up. If we get a wet spell it tends to be a case of walking in and feeding from the bunkers, which are then in turn replenished by vehicle when the ground dries out again. It's not a case of being unable to use vehicles for fear of getting bogged down, rather we try to avoid damaging the terrain, which is unsightly and rather annoys the land owner.

I guess we should let this discussion get back on topic! Apologies to the OP.

Dave

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
unimog master race

U1100%20B0979.jpg

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Mitsubishi Delica.... massive ground clearance even before being raised... solid chassis... easy to fit snorkel kit... 2.8 litre diesel engine with lots of torque... 8 seats, so you can take along sight-seers... luxury interior for the most part... twin battery on the Northern Japan model, meaning winter isn't a problem anywhere and most of all, it looks like a squashed A-team van. What more could you want?

We've had two... the first from Southern Japan. Everything functioned and it was great to drive at any time of year, but it was a touch basic inside. Upgraded to a newer model from Northern Japan. Twin batteries, better engine insulation and undersealed body/chassis... plus electronic mag doors, stainless steel exhaust system and (probably unique to the one we bought) multi CD changer. It also had a satnav system built in, unfortunately with just the Japanese maps... not much use in the north of England.

Wasn't a fan of these when my wife first suggested one... but after living with 2 of them for over 6 years... they're far superior to the majority of 4x4s out there, purely because they are so versatile.

Saying all that, I want a LR Defender 110 long wheel base. They look like a giggle to own.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Mitsubishi Delica.... massive ground clearance even before being raised... solid chassis... easy to fit snorkel kit... 2.8 litre diesel engine with lots of torque... 8 seats, so you can take along sight-seers... luxury interior for the most part... twin battery on the Northern Japan model, meaning winter isn't a problem anywhere and most of all, it looks like a squashed A-team van. What more could you want?

We've had two... the first from Southern Japan. Everything functioned and it was great to drive at any time of year, but it was a touch basic inside. Upgraded to a newer model from Northern Japan. Twin batteries, better engine insulation and undersealed body/chassis... plus electronic mag doors, stainless steel exhaust system and (probably unique to the one we bought) multi CD changer. It also had a satnav system built in, unfortunately with just the Japanese maps... not much use in the north of England.

Wasn't a fan of these when my wife first suggested one... but after living with 2 of them for over 6 years... they're far superior to the majority of 4x4s out there, purely because they are so versatile.

Saying all that, I want a LR Defender 110 long wheel base. They look like a giggle to own.

What's an Electronic Mag Door when its at home?

Last edited:

barclay03

Jul 14, 2014
Glasgow
Have had a few over the years, noteably a 98 frontera LWB (got me about through the bad snow back in 2010, even pulled my dads discovery out a few bad bits) and a hilux surf.

IMAG1039_zps58158943.jpg

My current one is a green oval though!

sIMAG0364_zpsno13jtdq.jpg

Have also been considering a defender

Last edited:

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Have had a few over the years, noteably a 98 frontera LWB (got me about through the bad snow back in 2010, even pulled my dads discovery out a few bad bits) and a hilux surf.

IMAG1039_zps58158943.jpg

Defender id pretty much the same as disco, but with added rattles and squeaks...

Let me know if you want to sell the g4 ;)

IMAG1039_zps58158943.jpg

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Spent most of September in Vancouver, BC, driving around in my 1997 GMC2500 Suburban 4x4. Sea of little rice-burners on the roads. Great to be able to sit high and see how bad the traffic is for blocks!
LSE model, all possible factory options. 454 mill. Hauled a load of camping kit down there (big canvas tents, set of 4 folding chairs, etc.) Lots of load space, lots of comfort.

Do many/any of you have issues with the ground clearance with what you're driving?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Have had a number of rice burners and Brit oil burners over the years. Subaru 1800 series pick up was great fun and my series 1 Disco very capable. Do fancy a Merc G Wagon though, like a Landy but properly put together.:D
PS that last coment kinda got me thrown out of the green oval club...

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Do many/any of you have issues with the ground clearance with what you're driving?

I had to pull out a jacked up oilfield truck in Edmonton. The guy had decided to take a shortcut off a parking area by going down a steep grassed slope and over a curb. Regrettably the curb stopped the truck and then it was too late to engage 4x4 and reverse back up (under the grass or anything else is bottomless mud here after rain). The FJ popped him back up with no bother. Even in Alberta the days of jacked trucks, big diesels and tires seem to be ending as people consider what they are spending. Some roads are made with logs laid across, big round rocks on top and then gravel - that just kills the front ends of heavy diesels, and jacked trucks really suffer.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Toyota Landcruiser 80. Tops them all, for me.
Ive had.
Defenders,
Discoverys,
Jeep Grand Jerokee,
Volvo xc90
Pajero/Shogun,
Mazda Bongo,
Others I cant recall.
The Landcruiser is way better than the rest. 3 diff locks, massive 4.2 turbo engine, tows like a train. Very good interior, and Toyota reliability. They don't break. If you raised it a couple inches so in has the same approach and departchure angles as a Defender, then you have the best off roader available. They are unstoppable.
That said, the Landrover Defender and Toyota 40 series, are just the coolest looking trucks on the road.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Only Mother Mercedes could love the looks of an Unimog! I guess that aerodynamic styling was not too high on the list. First gear, second gear and Downhill?
I took a hard look at the Dodge Powerwagon but it lost for interior freight space.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Only Mother Mercedes could love the looks of an Unimog! I guess that aerodynamic styling was not too high on the list. First gear, second gear and Downhill?
I took a hard look at the Dodge Powerwagon but it lost for interior freight space.

It's a brick with massive power, great clearance and powerful hydraulics. It stops for nothing except every diesel pump :).

Not mine, its my buddies, we use it for logging :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE