4x4 your favourite?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
They don't do very well in the British Grand Prix either, but for taking 1/2 a ton of grain to remote feeders in the woods they're just great.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Yup, seen a few of those Delicias kicking about, like the idea (short bonnet, fair bit of internal space versus its external size) but I've never driven one nor do any of my mates have one.

So, I like them in principle but have no experience of them.

They are re-bodied Mitsi Pajeros/Shoguns. A little bit top heavy due to their height but quite competent off road. My Paj was nearly as good off road as my Landie was but about a 1000 times more comfortable!

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Santanaman,

I'm afraid a 2WD won't cut the mustard on the track in our woodland. In fact the farm manager keeps getting bogged down in his Ford Ranger 4x4, much to his embarrassment.

Dave

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
They're certainly fun. But the original specification for the Jeep (written by the Army) was that it go anywhere a horse would go and carry two soldiers plus their gear. Jeep surpassed the requirement by carrying four soldiers and their equipment. and going anywhere a horse could go and then some.
So that's why it took two of 'em to pull this Range Rover out!
ZP9RqQT.jpg

Reactions: Arya
So that's why it took two of 'em to pull this Range Rover out!
ZP9RqQT.jpg

I was almost in that situation after a heavy rainstorm in Alberta. I'd bought my FJ with almost new Dunlop stock tires, and with a special discount deal on a set of Goodrich ATs, which hadn't arrived by the time I left for Alberta. On the bright side, I didn't get stuck and got to see how the stock Dunlops performed in mud, heavy rain with water building up on a road, and even in light snow. The answer is the same in each case: they worked really well up to a point followed by dramatic failure.
It's my belief that the strangest stock tires ever were the Firestones which came stock on my Ford 4x4. I doubt anyone could ever design a deep tread pattern which would get a person stuck faster than those. Since they had no resale value, I kept them on rims and wore them out on sharp rock logging roads.
This being a town with well paid people and deep heavy snow, I get to see lots of 4x4's. It seems that Jeeps come with decent stock tires, but I'm incredulous as to what some people are running on expensive vehicles. I guess my first question with vehicle preference is to ask about the tires on them.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santanaman,

I'm afraid a 2WD won't cut the mustard on the track in our woodland. In fact the farm manager keeps getting bogged down in his Ford Ranger 4x4, much to his embarrassment.

Dave

I gotta ask why you're hauling feed out into woodland?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
getting Four squaddies AND their kit into a 40's jeep would be damn tight fit too

In the 40s a dogface's gear consisted of his weapon, ammo, and a ruck that was small by today's standards. And said ruck was hung on the outside of the body anyway. Not really a problem. In fact there would sometimes be as many as 6 or 8 dogfaces riding the Jeep if you counted the 2 to 4 riding on the hood or standing on the bumpers.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah that vid was a bit tame. There's a load more out there though. And Jeep is still the biggest number of base vehicles used to build for the Mint 400. That said, the dune buggy types or the bigger 4WD trucks usually do better there.

I wasn't knocking the old jeeps, they were competent off roaders. Just that particular vid didn't show off any actual ability at all

In the 40s a dogface's gear consisted of his weapon, ammo, and a ruck that was small by today's standards. And said ruck was hung on the outside of the body anyway. Not really a problem. In fact there would sometimes be as many as 6 or 8 dogfaces riding the Jeep if you counted the 2 to 4 riding on the hood or standing on the bumpers.

Yep, as i said.....a damn tight fit :D
Never seen 8 people in/on one though. That would have been a nightmare to drive, well until all but three of them fell off lol

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE