4x4 your favourite?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
more landies than i can shake a big stick at, but my fav was my old series 3 109 ,with safari roof (like a fool sold it for £300, to buy a new 110TD). so much soul and always put a smile on my face.
My Lada Niva was great, but small and under powered.
Daihatsu fourtrack was great fun but suffered with halfshafts.
now got an Isuzu D-Max, lovely car, plenty of space and not too thirsty. Haven't played off road yet, but doubt there'll be any worries. (but still hasn't got the soul of the 109)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've had 3 110 defenders, 200 and 300tdi's, I have to say i really liked them for the most part.

Sold the last one and got a double cab isuzu Rodeo and although it's not got as much character it's a better drive, my feet stay dry :D 4x4 is inferior, but of the amount I use it it's good enough.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Sold the last one and got a double cab isuzu Rodeo and although it's not got as much character it's a better drive, my feet stay dry :D 4x4 is inferior, but of the amount I use it it's good enough.

I'd love to see a review after you've had it a year or so!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Well, I've had so far:

3x swb landy,
2x Discovery 1,
1x Discovery 2,
1x Discovery 3,
2x Freelander 2
3x Defender 90.

The worst was the first I had, a SWB Series 3. I didn't really know much about cars in general back then, and even less about Landies and 4x4's. It was a terrible shed, but over time it won me over and I learnt to sort things out and put it right.
Favourite one was my second 200TDi 90, I sold it just over a year ago and should have known better.
My most recent is a TD5 90, only had it a little over a week. So far it looks very promising - might it become the new favourite? Who knows.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Had a succession of 88's and 109's over the years, a Pajero LWB which had all the characteristics of a narrow boat on wheels, a Jimny which I totalled! The current drive is a Freelander TD4 which is, so far, an excellent drive, but the best ever was a Fourtrak! It'd go anywhere, pull anything, had all the requisite levers sticking out of the floor and was very comfortable. If I could find another in good nick, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
I have had quite a few and TBH, the Best imho is the Range Rover its a brute really ,but also you can travel in comfort for many miles and feel good the other end
unlike the defender which is great for short hops and also bomb proof.
At present i have in the stable, a RR and freelander the latter will do everything , but asn someone said they go wrong a fair bit although fingers crossed this one not too bad.
BTW i am not a fan of most of the Jap ones or BMWs as they really struggle off road, people seem to forget its really all about the tyres.!!!!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Land Rover Freelander 2 in Bali Blue, TD4.e [which changes to a dark purple in certain weather] So far completely reliable and a joy to drive.

[apart from that time i filled it full of petrol by mistake and had to spend three days in inverness, whilst the dealership fixed it. in the chieftan pub/hotel with a load of highlanders, which was an absolute blast. Great bunch of lads, my dog was just accepted by everyone, and would be wandering around the other side of the bar, and had sausages every morning. Great hotel. The nine hour drive back down the A9 was hellish though.]

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I should perhaps add that the Freelanders have really been my wife's cars. Both of those have been faultless and she would definitely say they were here favourite 4x 4s. I have to admit they are great all rounders, and superb everyday family cars, but she won't let me use hers to go feed the pheasants in the woods in the winter, can't think why!

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
This thread has led me to ponder over the few I've had over the years!

Isuzu's x 3, Mk1 Trooper swb van, KB pickup and a swb 3.1 V6.
3 Jeep's, 2 x Cherokee's 2.5td and a 4.0 Wrangler.
Nissan Patrol x 3, lwb 3.3D, 4.2 swb and a 3.0 lwb, and aw no has an X-Trail.
Land Rover x 3, lwb & a swb 2.5 series 2a and a lwb 200tdi.
Toyota Land Cruiser lwb 80 series 4.2td.
Suzuki Vitara 1.6 swb.
and I've driven a few others such as classic Range Rovers, Mitsubishi's, hybrid off road buggies, etc;

I'll not bore you with all the individual details but the older Patrol's and the Land Cruiser were the most reliable, the Wrangler the most fun!
If I had to choose one, right now, it would be the Land Cruiser hands down. A superb long distance driver and very, very capable off road.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pretty much all have very limited internal space, even long wheelbase landys are pretty tiny inside (I have a Transit van and need that internal space) so everytime someone mentions needing a 4WD I automatically think that the extra driven wheels isn't worth the loss of internal space.

Pickups are useless for me as the load bed holds such a small amount, its got very limited headroom when its got a roof and unless its covered by a roof everything in it gets wet and is in full view of thieves.

So in that vein, I would say something like a Transit county 4WD van.

How about

[video=youtube;6GtkMPaTwDI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GtkMPaTwDI[/video]

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
How about

[video=youtube;6GtkMPaTwDI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GtkMPaTwDI[/video]

Yup, seen a few of those Delicias kicking about, like the idea (short bonnet, fair bit of internal space versus its external size) but I've never driven one nor do any of my mates have one.

So, I like them in principle but have no experience of them.

We had Landrovers on the farm when I was a kid (as well as an Austin Gypsy that I can only just remember) and although I liked them then I'm just not blown away by the modern ones. Engines too complex, nothing like enough internal space and the factory fitted rusty chassis seems very poor value considering how much they cost.

I am however, a fully fledged van owner and pretty unimpressed with most cars as well.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I should perhaps add that the Freelanders have really been my wife's cars. Both of those have been faultless and she would definitely say they were here favourite 4x 4s. I have to admit they are great all rounders, and superb everyday family cars, but she won't let me use hers to go feed the pheasants in the woods in the winter, can't think why!

:yikes: OOOO :drive:Are you suggesting that myself and those of us with blue landrover freelander 2s are really driving girly cars?!:nono::BlueTeamE

I wont stand for it I tell you. :AR15firin

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
20km up a logging road in the rain to collect a Trail Cam that we set out yesterday.
My 4x4 Suburban stands so tall that I didn't even get mud on the windows.
1" ruts going up, 4" ruts coming down, the surface softened faster than I expected.
No rock fall or blow downs, which was nice.

:yikes: OOOO :drive:Are you suggesting that myself and those of us with blue landrover freelander 2s are really driving girly cars?!:nono::BlueTeamE

I wont stand for it I tell you. :AR15firin

I call my Toyota FJ Cruiser "the girly truck" because my grand-daughters like driving it so much, and because every other one I've seen around has a female driver.. And it has a fuel gauge which gives low fuel warnings with 100km to go.. Nevertheless it would give any other 4x4 I've driven a run for its money both on and off highway. It's actually comfortable for four adults and a kid in a baby seat for extended periods as I know from sitting in the back while my grand-daughters drove. Mine is a 2007 which I got over four years ago when it came off lease, and it's been incredibly dependable. Having driven the original FJ40 extensively, I'm not seeing ANY resemblance..
When I downsized I wanted something small which would work well for extended highway and which would get me anywhere I choose to go now and through our deep winter snow in town and on cleared logging roads - and the cruiser fits the bill. It's heavy so that it gets through snow, and so I live with the mileage which is about 24mpg highway, only a bit better than my old 3/4 ton. It'll handily cruise along way beyond any highway limit, and has lots of power for the bush. Visibility is pretty awful and turning one around on a narrow logging road with a huge drop off gets to be a real adventure.

Before the Cruiser I owned a 1990 Ford HD 3/4 ton with a 5L V8 for 21 years. I paid $20,000 base price for it and luckily an extra $1200 6 year extended warranty. Ford paid $27,000 to fix it on that warranty over the six years, so I didn't exactly have full use of my new vehicle. It also almost killed me twice in the first few months, the first time when I was coming back down a mountain with my friend and luckily the brakes didn't totally fail until we were on the highway. Whatever brake fluid they were using absorbed water which vaporized and caused air locks. The front brake issues caused by the callipers being held in place by hollow pins filled with rubber were something to experience. The thing is, once all the original cheaped out parts were replaced, the truck then worked darned well and I got to really like it. Good thing, too, as you'd know if you've ever tried to sell a 1990 Ford..
bctr2s.jpg

This little section of dirt road is the 1999 highway hill going into Bella Coola, and the bit of snowbank on the right is all that's between the truck and a 100M drop. I was on my way in to collect my ex-wife and head to Calgary for the kid's wedding. Unfortunately a big storm came in and I had to drive back up that in snow that night in order to get out before the road was closed - so a trip out to Williams Lake in a white-out.
drive4s.jpg

When my grand-daughter first decided to come live with me and go to school here, she chose the worst ever year where it only stopped raining when the rain turned to snow in November. I guess the rain jacket is a clue.The only things to do outside were shooting from a shooting shed and driving. The bush was flooded and so were the rivers. Here she is driving around an old building and learning to use a manual gear shift. An hour of that and we were off on the logging roads. Luckily she never tired of driving so we had lots to do in the evenings and weekends. She never had any serious issues in a lot of driving.
That Christmas I drove her to Prince George for a flight to Calgary and returned home. At the end of the Xmas vacation I drove back to Prince George to pick her up and bring her back here as flights from this place went through Vancouver and were astronomically priced. 27 people died just on the piece of that road at this end during that time. So a big 4x4 with good visibility and tires is a good thing to have.
I gave the Ford to a friend for parts although except for a clutch it was working well. I figured it wasn't trustworthy for long trips with younger grand-kids.
I guess I'll finish later.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hey Dave,

NOOOO! I'm not, I love driving my wife's even bluer Freelander 2 when she lets me. I'm trying to say the Freelander is often dismissed as "just" a nice estate car, but it's actually really quite capable when you know how to drive it off road.

And as I've mentioned before on previous threads, on our little shoot it's amazing how the "better" shiny Japanese & American wagons always get stood in the yard while the landies - be they Defenders, Series or Disco's - get used to get the work done. Not conclusive I know, but just my experience.

Dave

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Hey Dave,

NOOOO! I'm not, I love driving my wife's even bluer Freelander 2 when she lets me. I'm trying to say the Freelander is often dismissed as "just" a nice estate car, but it's actually really quite capable when you know how to drive it off road.

And as I've mentioned before on previous threads, on our little shoot it's amazing how the "better" shiny Japanese & American wagons always get stood in the yard while the landies - be they Defenders, Series or Disco's - get used to get the work done. Not conclusive I know, but just my experience.

Dave

Oddly enough the place I've been working at is totally the other way round and the Toyotas do all the proper work pulling trailers and carting stuff about.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A horse? - terrible fuel economy, high maintenance, unreliable, skittish handling, but unrivalled off-road capability.

They're certainly fun. But the original specification for the Jeep (written by the Army) was that it go anywhere a horse would go and carry two soldiers plus their gear. Jeep surpassed the requirement by carrying four soldiers and their equipment. and going anywhere a horse could go and then some.

.........And as I've mentioned before on previous threads, on our little shoot it's amazing how the "better" shiny Japanese & American wagons always get stood in the yard while the landies - be they Defenders, Series or Disco's - get used to get the work done. Not conclusive I know, but just my experience.

Dave

I haven't seen one in the Mint 400 or the Baja 1000 yet. But they did used to do very well in the Camel Stakes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE