4x4 your favourite?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
[QUOTEThe Landcruiser is way better than the rest. 3 diff locks, massive 4.2 turbo engine, tows like a train. Very good interior, and Toyota reliability. They don't break. If you raised it a couple inches so in has the same approach and departchure angles as a Defender, then you have the best off roader available. They are unstoppable.][/QUOTE]

I love my FJ on highway or anywhere else but nothing is unstoppable. Then again the latest craze in Alberta are mattracks which enable really tough stuff like deep snow, overflow lakes with fresh ice or mud:
https://www.mattracks.com/

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
4.2 turbo engine? Mine is a massive 7.6l/454. Next bigger is the 516 in GMC Sherman tanks.
In 4x4 on the highway 16 in winter, pedal softly up the hills.

barclay03

Jul 14, 2014
Glasgow
Defender id pretty much the same as disco, but with added rattles and squeaks...

Let me know if you want to sell the g4 ;)

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

It was a 110 county or utility i was originally after, but opted for the cheaper pricetag and increased refinement of the disco lol seein as its used for everyday family duties.

I usually get 2 comments...either "what is g4?" or "are you thinking of selling?" lol

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
It was a 110 county or utility i was originally after, but opted for the cheaper pricetag and increased refinement of the disco lol seein as its used for everyday family duties.

I usually get 2 comments...either "what is g4?" or "are you thinking of selling?" lol
Got to love the G4 stuff, looks good!
Have been considering a disco for a while but the fuel costs put me off a bit (hence I have a freelander) :rolleyes:

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I like the big discovery TD4's The square ones look a lot better than the newer versions imo.

Ive got a freelander 2 TDS E in Bali Blue, which seems to change colour to a very dark purple under a grey sky.
I love it, just cant believe how much its devalued. :( [My Favorite colour dark purple]

And that ECO thing, when it supposed to turn itself of when you stop has gone from working intermittently to not at all.
What is it with that thing?

I had a 4x4 VW 2012 Tiguan, same in that. That was new, and never really worked either.

[I blacked out a few months back in it, and hit three parked cars, over a hundred yards, thank god, no people. Very Bad crash. Pushed the third car, another VW, up on the curb, and through a victorian stone wall into a garden] Was badly concussed. Seeing double, babbling, etc. But it protected me very well. Bad crash that one. Worst Ive ever been in.

Last edited:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Always liked the Patrol Y60, Land Crusier FJ40, Fourtrak meself, last time I was in Norway I got equated with the Volvo Valp, very very good 👍

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I've had a few Landys, and a couple of others.. which included 2 x Mitsi L200, Subaru Justy, Ford Ranger driven many other... On Road.. Green Laning and Off roading including Trials, and as a 4x4 Responder.

Most favorite has to be the Landy Series 3 109" Safari.. loads of Soul liked this better then the Series 2 109"

Most Abused a modified Disco 300tdi.. just kept going...

Most comfortable Disco 3 2.7 v6... not a lot of Landy soul in that... its a shame.. cause its a good car.

Most Reliable miles 150,000 in four years Series 1 Freelander never broke down.... just serviced at Main dealer from new

Most Surprising ... Subaru Justy... was that plucky little thing that just did not give up trying... great in snow drifts.... was so light it just skimmed over the top.. but just did not cut the mustard for anything else.

Did not like the Mitsi L200's only had them for a month each... found them too long at the back for off roading, and too light on the back..

Update to the D3 2006 to the list... yeah good off road, and I don't mean just a dirt track or a grass bank out side the Pub. still very comfortable tho...

This was a chance I had at one Shows I was exhibiting at for Suffolk Community 4x4 Response... the local club were roaring around in all the big wheels and lifts... so we demonstrated what Box standard can do..... it now looks like we will be giving rides for charity on this course at the show now...... :)

IMG_0409.jpg D3 on Little Ellingham Off Road Course.jpg,

I have to say its a very nice Motor...good for what its built for, carting people up and down the tarmac BUT it just does not have any character of a Landy, the only way you know it is a Landy is the Green Oval on the Steering Wheel, and I have to sadly say its the most unreliable and expensive to repair LR I have had in 30 years of ownership of the Green Oval Mauqee, and I finding there is so much on it that can cause issues if it is really used off road for more then wet grass, things like Parking break Issues once used in deep mud, sensors and plugs that are badly designed, front bushes/arms that wear every 6 months if used heavily off road, I brought it in May, done 12,000 miles in it, and had the following

Alternator - Now causing issues with Spikes on out put, to be replaced next week at £300 ish just for the alternator... I am glad this is a warranty issue...
Battery - Cooked by the Alternator Fault
2 sets of front Arms/Bushes - Cheaper to replace complete sets due to Labour costs, bushes are just not up to the weight of the Motor..
Rear Discs set Pads and Shoes, the hand brake discs are part of the Disc's, and a Seized Calliper, new sensors and connectors... not up to loads of mud ingress

Now I have a Suspension Sensor Issue from the last off road trip a couple of weeks ago...

I could of brought a nice 90 for what it has cost to keep this on the road, just for my Off Road play... but hey I have had some fun in it, and I think I have decided to keep for weekend and Posh use, and I an now looking for a box Standard 88 or a APLR for play and camping :)

I can See a Real Landy on my drive soon.... to park next to it...

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Hi, I'm a newbie on here but am flushed with pride that my 1996 Defender 110 passed its MOT this week with no advisories, in fact the only advisories in the last three years have been scabby tyres - now sorted.

Defender and Series owners tend to have an emotional relationship with their vehicles which can be needy and without regular attention sometimes behave like newborn babies - emitting all kinds of worrying noises and leaking a variety of noxious liquids from various locations but with a little TLC give you more smiles per mile on and off road than just about anything else.

I've driven 70 Series Land Cruisers which are great workhorses for tough conditions, leaf springs at the back (front and back on older Cruisers) let drivers and passengers experience sensations that new Landy owners have been spared since the 1980s and while the 4.2 NA engine is no fire breather it is pretty much unbreakable.

I've had custody of an old diesel Unimog which sometimes ran and an older petrol one which might have run but no one could afford to do so. The modern Unimogs and MAN equivalents while astonishingly capable are just so huge and imposing that when used for overland travel they just isolate the driver and passengers from the world around them and alienate everyone else - perhaps I'm just jealous because I can't afford one but I have been run off the road in dusty parts of the world more than a few times by well-heeled European Mog/MAN drivers who feel that because they have the biggest truck everyone else in the world should give way to them! :mad:

I've clocked up nearly 100,000 miles in my 110 over the last 8 years or so and the only vehicle I've really coveted in that time was a Defender 130 "Pulse" ambulance which would make a great expedition/camping vehicle for colder climes but is way too big and cumbersome to be a daily driver.:)

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I changed from a 200tdi defender to a TD5 Discovery 2 because I convinced myself the Disco was just a more comfortable version of the Defender.
Well, I lasted about 6 months before deciding I just had to get back to a Defender. So one seriously annoyed wife later I sold the Disco and I'm back in a TD5 90, much happier, it's just a better fit for me.

Dave

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Grinding up the scenery for the sake of grinding up the scenery has long since fallen out of favor here.
For those who can't get enough of it, bragging rights go to the winners in the mud drags.
The sled-heads are into high-marking cornices and hill climbs in the winter.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Grinding up the scenery for the sake of grinding up the scenery has long since fallen out of favor here.
For those who can't get enough of it, bragging rights go to the winners in the mud drags.
The sled-heads are into high-marking cornices and hill climbs in the winter.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I like the big discovery TD4's The square ones look a lot better than the newer versions imo.

Ive got a freelander 2 TDS E in Bali Blue, which seems to change colour to a very dark purple under a grey sky.
I love it, just cant believe how much its devalued. :( [My Favorite colour dark purple]

And that ECO thing, when it supposed to turn itself of when you stop has gone from working intermittently to not at all.
What is it with that thing?

I had a 4x4 VW 2012 Tiguan, same in that. That was new, and never really worked either.

[I blacked out a few months back in it, and hit three parked cars, over a hundred yards, thank god, no people. Very Bad crash. Pushed the third car, another VW, up on the curb, and through a victorian stone wall into a garden] Was badly concussed. Seeing double, babbling, etc. But it protected me very well. Bad crash that one. Worst Ive ever been in.

Wow, thank goodness you were ok :confused:

I'm sure you are keeping up with the bin lorry incident where the driver lied to DVLA? If you suffer blackouts, you have a legal obligation to inform them.

I don't know what caused yours, but you still need to declare it.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Hi, I'm a newbie on here but am flushed with pride that my 1996 Defender 110 passed its MOT this week with no advisories, in fact the only advisories in the last three years have been scabby tyres - now sorted.

As you can see from a couple of the pictures on post #1 of this thread about the recent North Woods meet, the Landy and its new tyres got a bit of a post MOT workout extracting another 4x4 from the West Midlands gloop! :)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136925&p=1706873#post1706873

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE