45ltr (ish) day pack recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi guys,
I'm looking at getting a new, larger daypack to replace my karrimor sabre 45. Although it's a great sack, I just don't like the lack of support from the hip belt. I'm generally carrying for 2, so 45ltrs is about the right size for winter walks etc. Had a look at the fjallraven singi 48, the savottas and the wisport raccoon, which all seem to have a decent belt.
Anyone have experience of any of these or any other suggestions.
Cheers
Baggins

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
ESSL RU 5026
ESSL RU 90
Tasmanian Tiger Raid Pack
are alternatives.

I would rather try the Savotta Jääkäri L with Särmä TST general purpose pouches XL.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I thing the Savotta medium is no hiking rucksack. It's in my opinion a very robust and durable day pack for daily life in town or other civilised circumstances and short distances.

I think you find in most rucksack factories one top model that fits the real needs of most clients and then a couple of variations that are less good.

Usually they create their stuff independently but sometimes they work together with the army and that creates superior constructions.

Like for example
Snigel 100 litre backpack 2.0, swedish army
Norröna Recon Syncroflex, Norvegian army
Berghaus Vulkan, Britisch army
Berghaus Crusader, Durch army
Berghaus Atlas, German army
Lowe Alpine Sting Dutch army
ESSL RU 502 and 5026 Austrian army

The Savotta Jääkäri L seems to be also such a model.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I do like the look of the savotta jaakari large, but just worried that it may be a bit too big as a day bag. Where as the medium a bit too small.
I have both the Jaakari M and L. I would say that the L is brilliant as a winter day pack, in which you might be carrying rather more bulky items, but it also functions incredibly well as a day pack and a rucksack for slightly longer trips out. The frame, back and belt system is superb: comfortable, simple and durable. Of the two, I usually take the L with me, purely because of its amazing versatility. When using it as a day sack, I have never found it too big or bulky.

After years and years of trying all sorts and types of different packs, it has been a real pleasure to be introduced to Savotta. Their packs are practical, comfortable and very hardwearing.

Despite this paean, I have absolutely no connection with Savotta; I am simply one delighted customer.

bearbait

I'm very pleased with my Lowe Alpine Altus 42:47, with a quite rigidly fixed hip belt. I'm sure that you'll find a review or two with Mr. Google / Mr. Bing's assistance.

The only slight downside I've found is that I can't affix an extra pouch or so, e.g. Maxpedition, to the hip belt easily.

Reactions: baggins

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Possibly a bit late to the party if you've made your decision but there's the Karrimor SF predator expandable and possible to fit PLCE pouches to. I have Savotta M and it's a cracking pack probably my most used I fitted Helikon side pouches to it and it's just about the right size for me for winter days.

Modchop

Oct 17, 2013
Shropshire
I used to have a Fjällräven Abisko Friluft 45 and I found it to be one of the most comfortable packs I’ve ever used, pricey but well made.
If you’re looking for something slightly more overbuilt I’ve found Tasmanian Tiger packs very comfortable too, I had one in the 40 litre range but the name of it escapes me unfortunately.

Modchop

Oct 17, 2013
Shropshire
I sold them a couple of years back because they weren’t getting used as I no longer needed the capacity or load capabilities they possessed. Both great bags but not much use sat gathering dust.
The two main packs I use these days are 15 litre and 26litres as that’s all I need these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I have the TT Raid Pack that was mentioned earlied. Beautiful piece of kit and very comfy. If you want something lighter in weight then I would look at the Lundhags Gneik 42. Available in different back lengths to ensure best fit.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I can testify that wisport packs are extremely robust and very comfortable, if a bit on the heavy side. That gneik 42 looks lovely. I want one. I'm also after a new pack of similar dimensions. After much of research, I'd settled on the osprey kestrel 48, although I'm in no rush to buy. But I could certainly be swayed by those lundhags packs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE