4 days in Arran walking (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I lived on Great Cumbrae for 3 years, but never got across to Arran. Looks like a great trip. You also seem to have had spectacularly good weather for the Clyde area, given my past experiences with that part of the world. Any day where you get to see blue sky is a huge bonus!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thanks for the post great pic's...

just 1 question though, what is the tent/tarp setup you have, is it off the shelf or home made and how does it work?????

many thanks.

chris.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hi Chris, the two shelters you see are the Mountain Laurel Designs (MLD) Solomid and the Duomid shelters, they are made from Cuben Fibre and only weigh a few hundred grams, they basically work by pegging out the 4 corners and then using your walking pole up into the top centre. I have had them out in pretty severe wind, when other proper tents collapsed and the duomid was still standing just fine. The duomid has tons of room and is single skin, it also has a midgie net all around the bottom and at the top of the vent hole. Brilliant shelter, but as youd expect its not cheap, but does what it says on the tin, hope this helps mate.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Superb pics guys, even though technically I should be falling out with yous two for sending me the pic of you two on the ferry when I was stuck at work :(

We've been saying for ages that it would be good to get over there for a weekend so we'll need to get that organised.

Ps. I was nearly on the ferry on sat and was gonna track you down but ended up in the Galloway forest instead.... Will need to post up my pics actually.

Anyways thanks for sharing and I'll see yous for a long overdue jack in April :D

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
yeah Scotty, be good to catch up for a wee jack again, looking forward to seeing your fender as well mate, Jason showed me a photo of it on the ferry, looks a nice one mate.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thanks Colin, will have a look see at prices and more info on them... i might look into making 1 maybe, that or the 1 man bivi type tent, but i dont like them as there is no real room for kit, or if the weather is bad sitting up etc etc etc...

many thanks.

chris.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Wonderful pics - thanks for posting.

Two questions - 1How suitable would the caves be for overnighting in? 2 What shelters were you using?

Last edited:

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
yeah Scotty, be good to catch up for a wee jack again, looking forward to seeing your fender as well mate, Jason showed me a photo of it on the ferry, looks a nice one mate.

My drink shelf is getting pretty well stocked so will have to take a chunk out of it lol. The 'wee' fender is great fun.... When do the bits stop falling off it though? Lol

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
My drink shelf is getting pretty well stocked so will have to take a chunk out of it lol. The 'wee' fender is great fun.... When do the bits stop falling off it though? Lol

LOL they never stop falling off mate, but thats why its so much fun, buy new bits that are better to put back on it..haha

Beorn

Oct 27, 2009
Ulm
Looks so good and it's nice to find familiar places on the pics! We mostly went for day trips to Arran fom Glasgow between October and February when I studied there.
Next time I'll go there taking my bike!

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Wonderful pics - thanks for posting.

Two questions - 1How suitable would the caves be for overnighting in? 2 What shelters were you using?

The island seems to have quite alot of caves some of which you could kip in no problem ,but i would still look at the tide tables just in case
you got caught out ,as most are on enclosed beaches

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE