3x3 tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I can carry 30% of my body weight, at one job I would routinely carry 70% of my body weight short distances. I've travelled round Europe with 30+kg packs. Sod that for a game of soldiers. I can be just as comfortable, with a much lighter pack.

Just how far are you carrying this lot? 10km? 15km?

I have a Leatherman wave, I stopped carrying it, as it's too heavy, so I got a Leatherman Juice cs4, but that's too heavy, so have ordered a ps4... I only carry a Leatherman if I have a gas/petrol stove...

Bushcraft is a broad church.

J

Hardest trek I've had so far is Dave Budd's wood... as visitors will know, there is a bit of a trek up and down hill's to get there from where you park... no idea of the distances, but the steepness of the hills was enough to force me into a break or two along the way.

Longest distance.. probably about 6 miles... whats that, about 9km? Average distance is a mile at the most.

Don't get me wrong, I love walking.. could walk all day, but I tend to return to base when I'm walking. If I had to carry my kit, not a chance I'd be walking up Scafell Pike or the like, but I'll gladly walk a couple of miles, camp at the bottom, then have a wander for the day to see the sights at the top.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Hardest trek I've had so far is Dave Budd's wood... as visitors will know, there is a bit of a trek up and down hill's to get there from where you park... no idea of the distances, but the steepness of the hills was enough to force me into a break or two along the way.

Longest distance.. probably about 6 miles... whats that, about 9km? Average distance is a mile at the most.

Don't get me wrong, I love walking.. could walk all day, but I tend to return to base when I'm walking. If I had to carry my kit, not a chance I'd be walking up Scafell Pike or the like, but I'll gladly walk a couple of miles, camp at the bottom, then have a wander for the day to see the sights at the top.

And that's the difference. I'm trying to build up to the point I can do 35km across hill and more, then get up the next day and do the same again, continually.

I do like a base camp in the woods, being able to work on handy crafts, practice my bow drill, etc... but for me, it's the longer journeys through remote wilderness, that's where I want to be.

J

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Dewi i am deffo camping near you......you've got to sleep sometime :lmao:

Julia, no idea why the 3x3 has become the standard, just cheap and easy i guess?. Imo more than you need for ground dwelling and the wrong shape for hanging
you are spot on with your breakdown on how it performs as a hammock tarp.
I recently took my dad to the bushcraft show. He insisted the tarp he had was long enough to cover his hammock so i left my spare at home. I did take a 3x3 for screening and ended up using that over his hammock, because as i suspected his tarp was too small
It was quite a tight hang and on the diaganal the 3x3 was so long i had to wrap it around the tree at one end. Luckily it didn't rain so he left one side folded back, but it was a pretty crappy view with both sides pegged down

Heres my 3 season tarp. Pitched high on a nice day

Sub 300g, 11 foot long, very very strong, and good for all but really nasty winter weather, when you really want a longer tarp with doors.....the rest is my heavy weight basecamp type kit, iirc i was at 13kg fully loaded for two days
That includes the parang, a pack just shy of 2kg, and luxury stuff as i was only walking 5k tops

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
A longer journery, I think I'd work on my physical fitness rather than reduce my pack size... but then that is what makes BCUK the place to be... we have a wide range of people with different expectations of what they want from the outdoors. I'm happy in the woods, doesn't really matter where. I love the wilderness, but in Britain you're never really going to be that far from a road or as I've said to my son, you'll never be more than a days walk from a supermarket. Its just the nature of Britain, so I take the small pleasure of being in the woods, sleeping outdoors and sitting round a fire in the evening with some first class individuals with a variety of opinions. I've met so many great people from BCUK and they all have some fantastic stories of their lives, their travels and they've shared a lot of knowledge with me.

When it comes to the 3x3, I agree, for hanging it is too small... I want to upgrade to a 4x4 to stop that splatter of rain on my face... but then again I'm edging towards going to ground this year. Maybe I should withhold my judgement until I've spent a few nights beneath a 3x3 at a lower level.

Fully loaded I dread to think what weight I carry... I make it easy if I'm not too far from camp and carry in a couple of trips, but I may just weigh my kit before I go out next. I know I carry a kilogram of spirits with me on a weekend camp and I often carry a book or two, no idea what they weigh.

You're more than welcome to share my food when I'm out and about though... its my treat to enjoy good food in the woods... when I'm working I eat very little... and I eat even less if I have lots of driving to do... somehow that translates into a body weight that isn't what I'd class as massive, but I know I'm a good few stones overweight. I swing between being happy to enjoy my life and be overweight, and on the other hand thinking that if I cut back a little, I may get an extra year or two with my kids... its probably quite common with the modern day father. My kids enjoy an active life with me, they see me happy and they learn about various crafts and such... but on the other hand I don't think they'll be pushing me round in a wheelchair 40 years from now... perhaps not even 20 years from now. Meanwhile, we'll have a laugh and if I kiff it, they'll hopefully have happy memories of their Dad.

Sorry, that got kind of dark towards the end. I guess all I'm saying is we all make choices in life, and to tie into the thread as a whole, the weight vs distance vs health is probably a choice based on what we can and can't do as much as what we want to do.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
I own a Eno Housefly in Bright Orange! which is the same size, give or take but takes up about a third of the size when packed. It weight less, but don't know by how much...

Allthough I prefer a 3x3 tarp because you can see more when in a hammock, when set up in the diagonal position it gives good coverage against the weather. (I was out on a Five night trip on my own during the storms earlier this week and it was perfect...)

The housefly wouldn't have been as "visual"

I run a 75l Arcteryx Bergan.

I used to be in the army. So weight isn't an issue.
However space obviously is (I hate hanging anything on the outside)

On a 4nights (6 full days) camping trip which I do quite often I carry:- (but not limited to)

75l Arcteryx Bergan.

Top Pouch:-
Letherman Wave
Head Torch
Radio (handheld)
Spair Batteries x4
Paracord.
Small Folding Trowel
Military Hand Flairs.
Titanium Spork.
Black Bin Bags.
Medical Gloves.
Medical Scissors.
First Aid Kit.
Sawyer Water Purification and 2x 1L bags. + tubing.
Selection of small Carabiners and Hanging Hooks.

2x 24hr Army Ration Packs and 1x12hr Pack.
(Devided between second top pouch and two wingman pouches) main meals get bagged and go in main pack.

48 pattern Waterbottle with Plastic & Metal Mug and a Metal Lid all in a soft pouch.

1x 1L Camelbak Waterbottle in wingman pouch.
1x Metal Puritii Ariix Water Purification System in other wingman side pouch.
(All water bottles empty on start of trip)

Solo Stove and 900 Pot. Stainless Steel! Couldn't find the Titanium version!

Fire Starting Kit (No lighter) Flint and Steel with Tinder.

Gransfors Wildlife Axe.
Laplander Saw
Bayley Knife

Half-Wit Dutchwear modded Hammock, RidgeLine with dyneema lines with titanium attachments.

UK Hammock Overblanket and Underblanket (Winter)
ENO ParaPillow.
DD 3x3 Tarp. Wrapped in two DD Hammock Sleeves.
Titanium Pegs in a Tread Lite peg bag.

Spair Trousers, T-shirt and Underwear.

Dry night clothes (separate waterproof bag) consisting of
Ron Hill Trousers & Longsleved shirt
Army Arctic Socks and Beanie Hat.

Wash / Shaving Kit and a Collapsible Bowl in a B/P Bag.
Bath Towel (size of Coke Can)

12g Cleaning Kit Complete in small tub.
25 Shotgun Shells.

Front Pouch:-
Fleece, Para Smock, Shemarg and lightweight Gloves.

Carrying:-
Benelli M3 Super90 Kromo Shotgun in waterproof sock.

I have the luxury of being able to camp on a 12 acre wood which has a stream at one end so Fishing isn't out of the question...

The opposite side to the river backs onto farm land where I have permission to Shoot / "pest control" where I can bolster my rations with Rabbit, Hare, squirrel, Pigeon and Pheasant. There are wild mushrooms in the wood amongst other greenery... I have also seen Fallow Deer!

Last week I camped from Monday to Friday through the Storms and didn't see a single person.

As you can see this is NO lightweight setup. I have to walk about 2 miles from hard standing to get to the wood, I was looking for a smaller pack size 3x3m Tarp in Coyote Brown just because my pack is bulging.

Many thanks

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
As you can see this is NO lightweight setup. I have to walk about 2 miles from hard standing to get to the wood, I was looking for a smaller pack size 3x3m Tarp in Coyote Brown just because my pack is bulging.

Explains a lot... everyone assuming its a weight issue... turns out its a space issue. :rolleyes:

Okay... so not a weight issue, space issue.... how about I make you a holding strap so you can hang it from the outside of your bag? :D

Or... and I know before I say this how mental it sounds, why not wrap your tarp around your thigh and secure it with a velcro strap? :D

Or... 2 miles from hard standing to wood.... make two trips? :D

Or... bear in mind its summer and loose the underblanket :D

Or... make an unusually sized catapult, and for the 2 mile trek to site launch your tarp via said catapult ahead of your until you reach site :D

Or... and I know this sounds daft... but carry the tarp in your hand... balance it on top of your pack... hold it in your teeth for the 2 mile trip :D

Or... hire a local person to walk the 2 miles alongside you, but pay them for the 4 mile walk (1 hour) at a rate above the national minimum wage (slip em a tenner) :D

Or... fashion your tarp into a ball shape and kick it the 2 miles to site... gaining extra points if you manage to get said ball-shaped tarp between two narrow trees on route :D

Or... place the tarp into a bin bag and tie said bin bag to your belt :D

Or... sleep beneath the stars and throw caution to the wind by leaving the tarp at home :D

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
That's why i commented that the superlight also is less bulky :p. It'd be a good option i think, with the added benefit of losing a couple of grams ;).

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
I would have got the next size up burgan! But they only had it in Red. .

I'm glad I didn't get it, because my biggest problem would have been filling that to bulging point too... there is always a bit of bling kit that I want to try out!

At least with 75L I'm self limiting.

When we and i mean my military days had the 100L + 20L bergan, I always managed to fill that up to the max! God knows how...

I do go to other venues / woods with longer distances, it's just the above woods / river / farmland has been one of my favourites because it's been uninhabited for a long time (I have never seen anybody whilst camping there.. and we are talking 10 years +) I also like the ability to fish and shoot for my food!

That's what I like about it, the solitude... and peacefulness of being alone or with my son / friends

I like the over / under blanket! It's probably my best bit of kit and I feel the cold regardless of the season. And for what it is, it packs small.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Or... and I know before I say this how mental it sounds,
Or... sleep beneath the stars and throw caution to the wind by leaving the tarp at home :D[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I didn't take this advice last week.

The weather forecast said fair weather during the week!
Which is why I didn't take my waterproof, notice smock / windproof!

The storms were ment to have avoided / bipassed Essex. However we were hit with full force...

I like preparedness for worst case senario!
Hence my load out.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Some interesting suggestions and look forward to Dewi demonstrating the football technique :lmao:

Of course sometimes there's nothing for it but to get a bigger Bergan. However there is no shame in carrying the rolled up tarp externally, whilst it may not be aesthetically pleasing it is a practical interim solution.

BTW yours is not that heavy a loadout, you should see what the carp fishing brigade take for an overnighter..
attachment.php

Attachments

• nash-trax-all-terrain-barrow-[3]-1294-p.jpg
    nash-trax-all-terrain-barrow-[3]-1294-p.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 121

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Of course sometimes there's nothing for it but to get a bigger Bergan. However there is no shame in carrying the rolled up tarp externally, whilst it may not be aesthetically pleasing it is a practical interim solution.

BTW yours is not that heavy a loadout, you should see what the carp fishing brigade take for an overnighter..
attachment.php

No I don't need a bigger setup. I have so much more bling that I would love to take. Lol

As for hanging kit on the outside. I just drives me nuts.
What will it be pots and pans on the outside?

I go to the extreme and have to jump up and down a few time to make sure it's all silent!

Saying that the pack squeeks a little, but is soo comfortable. I wish the Army employed this type of pack!

Old habits die hard!

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
You see I have to agree with Paul Kirtley on this one, there is Bushcraft, and then there is kit. Bushcraft is about knowledge and skills that allow you to take less.

The whole leather and Canvas and wool blankets is more about so called "Traditional camping". You can do bushcraft with a 200g uber light tarp, a 2kg Canvas tarp, or even no tarp. There is no formula, no uniform, no mandatory kit list.

And yes, DD tarps are too heavy.

J

I concur. But I dont mind the weight of my 3x3 DD.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Some good and helpful suggestions here. I particularly like the start with a super lightweight pack that may spare you the need to drill holes in your Woodlore knife.

K

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Julia, no idea why the 3x3 has become the standard, just cheap and easy i guess?. Imo more than you need for ground dwelling and the wrong shape for hanging
you are spot on with your breakdown on how it performs as a hammock tarp.

For 35 quid you would be hard pressed to beat it, tho I paid 30 or less for each of my 3 tarps, so it's not the only option at that price. The only concession I will make is that there are a couple of pitches that a square tarp of 3m is better at than one smaller, or rectangular. Of these only the Adirondack wind shed pitch is one I can easily see myself wanting to use at all regularly.

I recently took my dad to the bushcraft show. He insisted the tarp he had was long enough to cover his hammock so i left my spare at home. I did take a 3x3 for screening and ended up using that over his hammock, because as i suspected his tarp was too small
It was quite a tight hang and on the diaganal the 3x3 was so long i had to wrap it around the tree at one end. Luckily it didn't rain so he left one side folded back, but it was a pretty crappy view with both sides pegged down

So the trees were less than 4.25m apart. Quite narrow for a tarp hang. OOI, what tarp did he bring ?

Sub 300g, 11 foot long, very very strong, and good for all but really nasty winter weather, when you really want a longer tarp with doors.....the rest is my heavy weight basecamp type kit, iirc i was at 13kg fully loaded for two days
That includes the parang, a pack just shy of 2kg, and luxury stuff as i was only walking 5k tops

What tarp are you using there? 11ft so 3.3m long? 300g sounds lovely. Is the ridge of the tarp cut to give you a catenary curve?

Have you used such a tarp on the ground? Does it provide enough coverage?

A longer journery, I think I'd work on my physical fitness rather than reduce my pack size... but then that is what makes BCUK the place to be... we have a wide range of people with different expectations of what they want from the outdoors. I'm happy in the woods, doesn't really matter where. I love the wilderness, but in Britain you're never really going to be that far from a road or as I've said to my son, you'll never be more than a days walk from a supermarket. Its just the nature of Britain, so I take the small pleasure of being in the woods, sleeping outdoors and sitting round a fire in the evening with some first class individuals with a variety of opinions. I've met so many great people from BCUK and they all have some fantastic stories of their lives, their travels and they've shared a lot of knowledge with me.

You sure about that? I'm pretty sure there are areas on the Cape wrath trail where you are days away from anything much, and even if you did find a road, you may have quite a wait for anyone to pass you.

Physical fitness is important in bushcraft, I know I'm not as fit as I'd like to be and I carry too much kummerspek, but I'm working on that. Being able to carry a 30kg bergen doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so. Every step you take causes wear upon the body, reducing what you carry on that step will reduce that wear, and so on.

When it comes to the 3x3, I agree, for hanging it is too small... I want to upgrade to a 4x4 to stop that splatter of rain on my face... but then again I'm edging towards going to ground this year. Maybe I should withhold my judgement until I've spent a few nights beneath a 3x3 at a lower level.

I like the idea of hammocking, and on a trip last year it would have been useful as finding flat ground was a pain, but I just can't justify the weight and price of the kit necessary. Sure the hammock isn't that expensive, but by the time you add a new tarp and then an over and under quilt, it adds up in both pounds and lbs. And then you're dependant on being able to find two trees, of the right size, at the right spacing.

Oh and it would also increase my visual signature as I would be higher above the ground, which given that many of my trips are adventures in creative tresspass, would be suboptimal...

Fully loaded I dread to think what weight I carry... I make it easy if I'm not too far from camp and carry in a couple of trips, but I may just weigh my kit before I go out next. I know I carry a kilogram of spirits with me on a weekend camp and I often carry a book or two, no idea what they weigh.

Do, it'll be enlightening.

That's why i commented that the superlight also is less bulky :p. It'd be a good option i think, with the added benefit of losing a couple of grams ;).

Do note that sil nylon is very slippery, this can make packing it, or strapping it to the outside of a pack non trivial, It doesn't want to stay put and will slip and slide all over the place. Even folding/rolling a sil nylon tarp is a bit of a fight as it just wants to slip all over the place.

Explains a lot... everyone assuming its a weight issue... turns out its a space issue. :rolleyes:

Okay... so not a weight issue, space issue.... how about I make you a holding strap so you can hang it from the outside of your bag? :D

See above on slipperyness.

Or... and I know before I say this how mental it sounds, why not wrap your tarp around your thigh and secure it with a velcro strap? :D

Adding weight to the legs is about the same as adding 5 times that weight to your pack, with every step you have to lift it up. NOt ideal, and being sil nylon it'll be slippery as hell.

Or... bear in mind its summer and loose the underblanket :D

Or... fashion your tarp into a ball shape and kick it the 2 miles to site... gaining extra points if you manage to get said ball-shaped tarp between two narrow trees on route :D

Summer? You sure about that? You could tell the weather. It seems to think it's April.

The football idea isn't that stupid. On trips where I am car or canoe based, I'll pack soft stuff in a dry bag, and when leaving the house, drop it from the top step onto the lawn, so that it saves me an extra trip up/down the stairs.

Some good and helpful suggestions here. I particularly like the start with a super lightweight pack that may spare you the need to drill holes in your Woodlore knife.

It's the good ole big three, Tent, pack, sleep system. Reduce the weight of those and you'll make a big impact on the weight of your pack. My tent is 2.8kg, my tarp + bivvi combo can be under 500g. And so on.

J

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
For 35 quid you would be hard pressed to beat it, tho I paid 30 or less for each of my 3 tarps, so it's not the only option at that price. The only concession I will make is that there are a couple of pitches that a square tarp of 3m is better at than one smaller, or rectangular. Of these only the Adirondack wind shed pitch is one I can easily see myself wanting to use at all regularly.

So the trees were less than 4.25m apart. Quite narrow for a tarp hang. OOI, what tarp did he bring ?

What tarp are you using there? 11ft so 3.3m long? 300g sounds lovely. Is the ridge of the tarp cut to give you a catenary curve?

Have you used such a tarp on the ground? Does it provide enough coverage?

Yeah price and DD's marketing are probably the biggest factors.....i do think its a great 30 quids worth of tarp, just (as you say) there are better options if you shop around

it was quite a tight hang. We arrived late, it was getting dark, and site selection was more about getting a bit of privacy than anything else tbh
turned out me dad had bought himself an issue basha, gawd knows how he decided it was 11 foot long :confused:

the 300g one is what i call my pork chop express tarp. Its a one off scotty von pork chop (bespoke ultralight) did for me
its cat-cut on the ridge and the long sides. Never used it on the ground as such but i have had it pitched really low and although the cat-cuts do make it a little more drafty than a straight cut tarp it was fine

I love my hammocks, but you are spot on. They are expensive to do lightweight and i wouldn't want to rely on finding a pitch on a random hike

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Qixoticgeek, I don't have a silnylon tarp so this is as much a question as a suggestion; couldn't you get around the "slipperiness" issue by just stuffing it into a small stuff sack? It seems like you could make one cheaply and easily enough by sewing a cotton bandana or two?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE