3x3 tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Hi, need a bit of advice / recommendations.

I have a 3x3 DD Hammock which fits all my criteria.
However it's heavy and bulky for what it is.

Could anybody recommend a lighter 3x3 tarp.
However it must be in Coyote Brown.

Many thanks.

Becoming Wild

Jun 25, 2016
Flamborough

Many thanks.
I would say look at dd's super light range or if it's bulky in your bag get a dry bag and keep it in there then just clip it to outside of your bag maybe?
Heavy and bulky?? Seriously?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Theres plenty of lighter options out there. From sylnylon to cuben fiber
Alpkit
Backpacking light
Bespoke ultralight equipment
Rab
Possibly hillberg
Are a few places off the top of my head in the uk

And yeah, imo a standard DD 3X3 is far too heavy and bulky to carry any distance

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
This is a Bushcraft forum though, right? Leather, wool blankets, canvas tarps and axes? A tarp weighing less than 800 grammes is nothing to carry for the sheer luxury of protection it offers. The superlight tarp weighs under 500 grammes, so not much of a weight saving?

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I have the superlight myself, 460 grams (without pegs and cordage, which go for 226 grams in my case since i like some decent pegs). The biggest saving is in the bulk though. It packs down to about half the size of the DD normal tarp.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
This is a Bushcraft forum though, right? Leather, wool blankets, canvas tarps and axes? A tarp weighing less than 800 grammes is nothing to carry for the sheer luxury of protection it offers. The superlight tarp weighs under 500 grammes, so not much of a weight saving?

Really?....whats the minimum pack weight allowed for "bushcraft" then? lol. In my younger days i sometimes went out with a belt pouch, cook pot, and knife, is that too light for "bushcraft"
One of the things we bushcrafters refer to most is first nation peoples. Many of which are/were nomadic or semi nomadic. I guarantee you they looked at thier pack weights very closely, used the best materials that were to hand, and carried very few items that were anything less than vital

Inuit for example would spend summer time living in tents. But when following the caribou in winter they would go ultralight and build an igloo

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
What most people fail to realise, is that in "bushcraft" they also used the lightest and best for the job that was available. While canvas and leather etc look nice, if they would have had silnylon or titanium or whatever "new" material which is available, they would have used it. Bushcraft imo isn't using old stuff. Using old stuff is historical camping (or re-enactment :p).

Just my thoughts ofcource.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Apologies if I came over too strong - the original poster said that the 3X3 tarp " fits all my criteria". I have two of these and love them. What I am trying to say is that you can spend a small fortune trying to save a few grammes - if the original poster needs to lose 400g from his load maybe the tarp isn't the place? I'm all for a lighter pack weight but when you are sat out for hours in torrential rain a nice big tarp is worth its weight in gold - you could easily take 500ml less of water and make a bigger weight saving for no extra expense. Or am I wrong?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Really?....whats the minimum pack weight allowed for "bushcraft" then? lol. In my younger days i sometimes went out with a belt pouch, cook pot, and knife, is that too light for "bushcraft"
One of the things we bushcrafters refer to most is first nation peoples. Many of which are/were nomadic or semi nomadic. I guarantee you they looked at thier pack weights very closely, used the best materials that were to hand, and carried very few items that were anything less than vital

Inuit for example would spend summer time living in tents. But when following the caribou in winter they would go ultralight and build an igloo

I had to look up the whaling season to see what time of year they switched from that and fishing to land hunting. Looks like you might well be right.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What most people fail to realise, is that in "bushcraft" they also used the lightest and best for the job that was available. While canvas and leather etc look nice, if they would have had silnylon or titanium or whatever "new" material which is available, they would have used it. Bushcraft imo isn't using old stuff. Using old stuff is historical camping (or re-enactment :p).

Just my thoughts ofcource.

That reminds me of the old tv series, Banacek, starring George Peppard. His house was full of expensive antiques. In one episode somebody commented, "You seem to like old things?" and he replied, "No. I like good things and since there are more old things, it follows that more of the good things will be old things."

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Apologies if I came over too strong - the original poster said that the 3X3 tarp " fits all my criteria". I have two of these and love them. What I am trying to say is that you can spend a small fortune trying to save a few grammes - if the original poster needs to lose 400g from his load maybe the tarp isn't the place? I'm all for a lighter pack weight but when you are sat out for hours in torrential rain a nice big tarp is worth its weight in gold - you could easily take 500ml less of water and make a bigger weight saving for no extra expense. Or am I wrong?

No, you are right. 400g isnt that much....on its own. But if the op has cut weight from other areas it might simply be time to upgrade the tarp
My winter hammock tarp is 12x9 foot, 4x3m'ish. its 460g and less than half the bulk of a DD 3x3 (summer tarp is sub 300g) either of those fits into half of the front mesh pocket on my rucksack. If i took a DD 3x3 it would have to go inside and take up more space than a -15*c underquilt

Weight is an accumulative thing. looking at a single item it often doesnt sound like much but over a whole load out it could easily be 5kg+ before even getting into true ultralight stuff

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader

Many thanks.

There are some slightly lighter tarps out there the same size, however if weight is that critical then changing your loadout may be the way to go.
A single poncho weighs in at around 335-350grams, two could be fastened together to form a larger tarp and it doubles up as rain gear for getting to and from where you are camping.

If you post up your current gear list I'm sure folk will help with suggestions and alternatives to lighten your load.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE