3D printed Canadian slotted buttons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It's stolen in Bavaria, where this type of buttons was used for leather shorts before Leif Erikson discovered Canada!

:aarghh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne and Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
nearly everyone I know here, including dearest wife, has Bavarian heritage. Don't think the buttons were stolen, more they just changed citizenship. :lol: Opened a garage in the early 60s. Sponsored a bunch of friends from home. Moved out to the suburbs. Made lots of baby buttons that took up military careers. Probably got both passports :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne and Erbswurst

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Made some 28mm ones from a more suitable colour:

slotted_buttons_1.jpg

Shown next to the ones on my Arktis smock
slotted_buttons_2.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I would like to visit one of the bog iron smelter sites on the east coast (NewFoundland?)

The Heiltsuk people were living well on the Pacific Northwest coast 14,500 years ago and that is a measurable fact. They were familiar with both the Chinese and the Russian traders from maybe 1,000? Two things: Chinese coins are scattered around and they all were familiar with iron by the time the Euros showed up.
No such things here as a Chalcolithic Age or a Bronze Age although some eastern First Nations had figured out how to smelt glass ornaments.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
How long does it take to print? Are they as robust as the real ones. I’m guilty of buying mine from Varusteleka.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
How long does it take to print? Are they as robust as the real ones. I’m guilty of buying mine from Varusteleka.

These took nearly an hour each as they're solid. I don't know how robust they are in comparison but there are certain post processing steps you can take that would get them even stronger. You can pack them tightly in sodium bicarbonate and then bake in an oven - the powder stops them losing shape but the heat fuses the layers together

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The brown ones look really nice. How is the cord/webbing attached to the fabric?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The brown ones look really nice. How is the cord/webbing attached to the fabric?

Thank you. With those I used a really tight zig-zag stitch through one of the slots but looking at my Arktis jacket, they just attach a piece of webbing with a bar tack either side of the button so technically it can slide up and down a bit.

Reactions: Kadushu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE