So I left a 3D printed matchbox under water for 3 months...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Would this add too much time to the build to make the saving of material worthwhile?
holes.gif
I can reduce the "fill" material while still leaving most of the strength but if it ends up being a 24 hour build then it may not be worth it!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Wouldn't worry too much about material cost for something of this size.
The bushmoot one is fancy but less practical - I'd be concerned it's not strong enough for the task in hand.
Checked on the printer this morning to find a successful print of a new waterproof container design. Unfortunately, although the container and lid screw together perfectly and I'm sure it will be waterproof, it's a little bit short to put matches in so I'll be setting it going again with a longer version. Fortunately, the way I design things in OpenSCAD means that altering dimensions is trivial and everything else will scale to suit

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
To be honest, despite an obsession with storing matches when I was in my teens, I rarely use them now. If I did, it would probably be strike anywhere Swan Vesta type or lifeboat matches - could include a piece of sandpaper in there and pack with cotton wool to stop them moving around.

Does anyone actually carry matches any more? I've created an even longer version that will take banknotes rolled up, which I could stash somewhere.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Got the longer banknote version on the printer at the moment. Going to take a few hours - next I'll be printing a wider mouthed one. Busy playing with my new drone :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE