35l sack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well what I generally pack for a weekend is what I pack for longer periods anyway. Only difference is I would add a few more pairs of socks and more food/fuel. On that principle it would be a good long term sack too.

RA if you cant get one state side PM me and I will send you one as a gift I am sure you'll like it!

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
CLEM said:
If you cannot find one,pm me and iam sure we can sort something out for you.

Clem, thanks for that. :wink:

GARY said:
RA if you cant get one state side PM me and I will send you one as a gift I am sure you'll like it!

Gary, thank you for your kind offer. However, if that is indeed what I decide to do, I was raised that gifts are exchanged. So, I would insist on sending you something in return. :)

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
just ordered the 35l today after reeding this thread for a day sack cant go wrong for ten quid me thinks. after Christmas i think i have decided on the sabre 60-100Lt but i no you can compress the side pockets but dose anyone no if you can compress the main sack if you want as well to make it smaller if not caring as much gear some times

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
mal said:
just ordered the 35l today after reeding this thread for a day sack cant go wrong for ten quid me thinks. after Christmas i think i have decided on the sabre 60-100Lt but i no you can compress the side pockets but dose anyone no if you can compress the main sack if you want as well to make it smaller if not caring as much gear some times

Hi Mal,

I'm a happy owner of a (Karrimor) Sabre 60-100 ltr.
It is possible to compress the main sack (the sack's got numerous of straps), but of course not to the size of a day pack :wink: - 1 word of advise: make sure you've worn the sack in store, so you'll know if it's comfy or not.

On the internet you'll find loads of images of the 60-100 ltr with a black back (or front, depending on what you define as back and front) - mine though is completely olive green :super:

Let me know if you want more info or pictures!

Question to you and the other lads 'n ladies: Does anyone know if it's possible to attach the (PLCE) side pockets on this sack (in the same way as on a sabre 45 or 75)? The guy in the store where I bought my sack, says it's possible ... but he has never seen or tried it ... :?:
Can't find any confirmation on the internet ... and it sounds a bit ridiculous: adding another pair of side pockets ... I think you'll be look like a turtle :shock:

Hope you all can help

Cheers

leon-1

Gary said:
Well I am well padded anyway! Seriously - its a day sack so extend use wouldnt (ideally) mean more than a long weekend. Having said that the straps are height adjustable and the tentioning straps across the back (top and bottom) work for me.

Of course you could do what we used to do to the old GS bergen frame and add more padding.

I think its really comfy - Neil/Leon second opinion?

Also you can use it without the frame if you want (as for climbing)

And to make mine even better I added a waist belt and some fastex buckles to the lid strapsm but thats the sort of sack it is. It just wants you to make it your own.

Gary Neil has one and we were talking about it the other day, as far as I can remember the only thing that he had to say that was bad about it was he didn't like the shoulder straps (believe it or not great praise indeed).

We talked about size and Neil reckons he can fit a fully packed Munro inside with room to spare, so it is quite a sizeable pack for 30L. Materials, construction were looked into and I believe the term "bombproof" came up more than once and Neil liked the frame. He even liked the carry of it once he had done a bit of adjustment (without making any mods to the system at all).

I will get one next month and take it for a a little wander up the Dart Valley, from the sound of it, they could be the best bargain going :)

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
has any one used this pack?
swiss_rucksack.jpg_small.jpg

It looks like it could be the green ones wee brother, and is almost identical looking to an old karrimor daysack of my dads im trying to replace.

They are only £6.99 at http://www.adventure1.co.uk/ and look good to me.

DMBackpacker

Aug 13, 2004
Evanston IL
Yes, I have one. I *think* it's the predecessor to the 35l rucksack.

Pros:
- CHEAP. Got mine for $5. A Google search on "Swedish rucksack" turned up several vendors.
- It's sturdy and will probably outlive me.
- Decent capacity; it will carry enough for a weekend outing.

Cons:
- HEAVY.
- Leather shoulder straps (not my preference).
- Seems to be designed for someone a little smaller than I am; I had to fiddle with it a lot to get any kind of reasonable fit. (I'm 6 feet 180#, not Andre the Giant by any means.)
- The straps have extensions which appear to be designed to hook onto web gear. If you don't use web gear these can flap around and strike you in the face (don't ask me how I know!!)
This link describes a modification for the straps:
http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/swrsc.htm
One of these days I might try it.

I keep mine in the vehicle for storage of emergency gear. Wouldn't want to carry it too far, but could carry it in a pinch. For $5 that's OK. The newer 35l rucksack looks like a better idea for backpacking IMHO.

HTH, cheers

DMBackpacker

Aug 13, 2004
Evanston IL
Ooops, need to clarify something. My comments:

Yes, I have one. I *think* it's the predecessor to the 35l rucksack.

were about the "wee brother" mentioned by stuartyr:

has any one used this pack? It looks like it could be the green ones wee brother

NOT the current 35l rucksack. I should have quoted that post when replying.
Sorry about any confusion.
Cheers

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Dont do it :yikes:
I sold my munro and have regretted it ever since. I have tried (and still am trying) other sacks, but yet to find anything as good.
If you do decide to sell tho do let me know :lol:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I hated my munro always felt like a pimple on a ducks bottom - I could never understand why people liked it - to small, sat high to high on the back as was way to expensive even in those days.

I still give the 35l swedish pack the thumbs up even after carrying it for a week across the frozen, rain blasted scottish highlands. Another tick in the box for the pack is that even without a rain cover there was very little water penetration.

Sorry guys - you can keep your fancy £80 berghaus, karrimor or whatever and I'll stick to my £9.95 bombproof practical sack.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
This little(?) pack has my vote too, I've tried most and this takes some beating.
I have made a few alterations to mine, see gallery, but this little pack takes a shed load of kit and the carry is very good (its nice not to have a sweaty back :) ).
Neil

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yep thats the best bit about it - no sweaty back and hence no chilling when you take off the pack.

I have modified mine too - I added quick release buckles on the lid and put a belt on the bottom (its still sits comfy without a belt btw).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE