• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Any idea if it was based on The Gates of Fire by Pressfield?
That was a good book on the same story

And in case anyone should mention it - I know he didn't make it all up :cool:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Jan 22, 2006
uk
i hope they didnt depict the sexual activities of the spartans...now there's a horror movie even i wouldnt be too keen on settling down in front of.

is 300 an uber blood and guts 'stab em up' or is it a kind of 'proper' film if you know what i mean....or is it really american - in the arnie/rambo tradition?
both can be good, but i pref the first

Bearclaw

Jan 9, 2007
Bedfordshire
sandbender said:
The film is based on the graphic novel of the same name by Frank Miller...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_(graphic_novel)

I don't know which books he refered to during his research, however I know that it was seeing the 1962 film 'The 300 Spartans' as a child which set him on the path to creating it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/300-Frank-M...2431611?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173860765&sr=8-1

Whilst it is based on Frank Millers graphic novel, the story is a true one, where 300 Spartans stood fro 2 days against the enitre Persian army, only losing because a traitor lead part of the Persian army around behind them via another pass, surrounding them. However the death of the 300 caused Sparta to rally together and they pushed the persian's out within a year.

Good story, good graphic Novel and so i'm led to believe a good film, hopefully seeing it this weekend.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I saw a trailor for it, it looks complete fantasy and the 300 are fighting monsters and stuff. :rolleyes:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
hammock monkey said:
i hope they didnt depict the sexual activities of the spartans...now there's a horror movie even i wouldnt be too keen on settling down in front of.

is 300 an uber blood and guts 'stab em up' or is it a kind of 'proper' film if you know what i mean....or is it really american - in the arnie/rambo tradition?

The nightime activities of the Spartans (true or not) are glossed over :)

'arnie/rambo?' It's a comicbook made into a movie, fun but not terribly accurate, if nothing else, King Leonidas didn't speak with a Scottish accent :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLTCmScJkKI&NR

The cast went through a pretty serious training regime to look the part...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KKpy1PMa7E

Jan 22, 2006
uk
sounds ace, i'll have a bit of that then...tho i doubt it'll conjour up the images of bygone times and local people like Hot Fuzz did with me....sigh.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Zammo said:
From the comments on YouTube this film appears to be trying to peddle a political statement..

That's a worry I have, I don't think Frank Miller would be happy about the producers trying to alter the story to suit someones political agenda, however If the film stays true to the graphic novel, it will be fine.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I didn't read anything political. To me it was a visually stunning blood and guts fantasy (based on Frank Miller's graphic novel as mentioned) that was based on facts but there was poetic license taken here for sure.

It was not a rambo type movie, more along the lines of Braveheart, but more action! The training these guys went through and the fight correography really helped them to pull it off well. They looked and performed very well. They were convincing as men born and bred as warriors.

It was definitely a guy movie unless the ladies are into blood and guts action, or maybe seeing really buff guys fighting in leather speedo-like loin clothes.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I said I didn't want to re-ignite that debate... ;)

Seriously, it's just there in case anyone is interested. I'm not criticising the film here - just passing along a resource for anyone who may have wondered about the truth behind it.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
hammock monkey said:

Homophobe(imagine this is said in the shrillest of shrill voices) and for good measure" if you were sure of your own sexuality you wouldent feel threatened by others sexuality! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

In all seriousness now, it does look like it will be an entertaining film and one I hope to go see myself,I really enjoyed Sin City and the style in which it was made,this looks similer!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE