3 season camping: down or synthetic (or other solution)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which 3 season sleeping solution do you prefer?

• Down bag

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Synthetic bag

Votes: 31 43.7%
  • Some other solution for example a blanket

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Mix and match (let us know what provokes your choice)

Votes: 8 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kit doesn't have to be expensive to work well. A Tesco micro-lite mummy bag does me most of the year. Synthetic, so it works when damp, soft, so you have a comfy night, packs down to a tiny size and only weighs 950g. If I know it's not gunna rain, I use the ultra-lite, which is pretty much the same, but down filled. For particularly cold night, I use the challenger lite 200, which is 3D fibre fill, so it still retains 80% insulative properties when wet. Rated to -12 and wind proof, it's more than enough for British seasons.

Adam

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My choice depends on the weather forecast. I've got a lightweight synthetic bag, and a 5 season down bag. It also depends upon the degree of exposure of where I'm going (so down bag for moorlands, for example). I've used the down bag at all times of year to be honest, but got a synthetic last year as it is less bulky for lightweight trips.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Easy - synthetic.

When I'm climbing/mountaineering, there's a simple rule of thumb that helps make the decision. Basically, if it's warm enough to rain, you don't need the warmth of down. Hence, down for cold and dry conditions, synthetics for everywhere else. Simples.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I put down....down :)

I have a fair few bags and stuff but out of choice I love my Mountain Equipment bags of which I have 3 to deal with season round stuff, but on occassion I still use my synthetic bags as well but compaired to the ME bags the others are restrictive. I have some good Bivi bags so wet never seems to be a problem for me :)

Aug 15, 2010
south wales, uk
synthetic here, in the spring and autumn i use a Highlander Challenger Lite 150 2-3 season bag, it packs up nice and small and weighs 1.3kg, come the winter time i will just add a fleece liner inside the challenger 150 and i'm nice and toasty. In the warmer months i use a uk tropical army issue bag which weighs 1.1kg when packed in an issue compression bag and compresses to 7x7 inches which is just ridiculously small. its more than warm enough for me and is nice and roomy which is something i like in the warmer months.

tinkers

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I have a 650g snugpak synthetic bag for hotter nights.

My other bags, -5 and -20c are both down. Down is my preference (I've never been to the tropics, so haven't had soaking warm conditions)

Looked after I've never had a problem with down, used a chichi bag when necessary but more likely a tent

Sent from my flying horse using tapatalk.

jimp

Settler
Nov 8, 2008
cleveland uk.
hi, been using a snugpak elite 4 for a while, never let me down, 2 way zip for ventilation and the expantion system is great for more room.
jim

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I got an Asaklit Autumn 3 season down/synth bag for a tenner from Clas Ohlson in Manchester earlier this year. It was the last one. It performs excellently. It's got 90% goose down upper and synth lower, both 250g. It's rated three season, but honestly, I think it would go lower. It really is that warm. It's got shoulder, zip and face baffles, and a pocket, and while it doesn't pack down as small as a full down bag, at 30x20x20, it's okay. It weighs 1600g, which compared with the Alpkit 600, which is about 1400g, is pretty good.
And like I said, for £10.00...

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Was using a old 58 pattern down bag & have a Vango 2 season summer bag, but have just ordered a RM Osprey Synthetic 3 season bag. I like centre zips, whcih gives you limited choice, and I am off on the BCUK Canada Canoe trip in May, so figured a syntheic was better if spending a week in a canoe. May get a down bag later if I feel the need or the need to save the space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE