3 questions about trangia's.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just noticed aswell that you are using a trangia burner unit, I tried this and the only downside I could find was stowage space. I cut the bottom of the hexi cooker so that the burner unit sat in it, and when I stowed it away, it pokes out lid first so only the lid part is exposed. I didn't take to it, but the idea is there!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
addyb said:
I gave up trying to use a Trangia in the wintertime ages ago. I think when it took nearly twenty minutes to melt a single pot of snow I came to my senses and went back to an MSR stove for winter trips.

Trangia's are definately three season stoves, in my opinion.

Adam

You should be able to mount an MSR in a civvy Trangia, as I and others have using a Nova, now thats a snow melter setup :cool:

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
or you get the winter pre-heater set
or you take a tea candle
or fill the aluminum cover from a tea candle with alc.
etc.

again lots of imagination & inspiration:
in the coldest environment keep the entire stove & pot combo at body temperature
insulate the windshield
put a lid (with center hole) on the windshield
preheat the preheater (as in Japanese Racing Stoves :cool: )

Btw. stove jets, pumps and valves don´t fail in winter?
Ever tried to fix a problem of that kind at temperatures way below freezing point?

Note: I´m just stove crazy and in no way affiliated to Trangia or any other stove manufacturer

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
only 3, that´s very strange - there should be many more since real men need to have a fire no matter where they are going

Hopefully we´re not an endangerd species :rolleyes:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have just test cooked a bannock bun on the SA Trangia. Worked a treat as the design of the burner has an enclosed area so kept the current snow flurries out.

Looks like I'm gonna ditch the gas burner as it's not as flexible as the SA trangia.

Nick

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Dunno if I am a collector, how many stoves do you need before you qualify?!!

I've got a Nova plus, Civi Trangia and SA Trangia, an old coleman peak stove somewhere and the obligiatory hexi, including a french version somewhere although I think I've used the fuel tablets from that one.

Am I in??

:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Gotta try this with my hex stove and a spare trangia burner - looks like a great compromise cooking arrangement for day walks!

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
oops56 said:
All it takes is two but more is better like 100 or more i lost count :) :)

Your right about that Robert, after the first two you are hooked. I thought I'd cut right down this last year, but recent counts and checking uder the stairs, in boxes, and my lock up, shows I've still around 50+. I want to get down to about 20 stoves, half of them 'users' and half for display (saying that, I just picked up another Army No.12 :rolleyes: )

got a few US army foil wrap for a cup bit knacked now but was only for one of use anyway with MREs and a Canadian Mug with reversable stove

was rooting today in a old box of stuff and found about 40 in the wrapper as new Hexi stoves :rolleyes: as well as my old Epigas Micro (cut down :eek: ) and many peak spares. Probably a few more in the loft and im sure i had a crate of Hexi block in the garage some where :confused:

have never liked Trangias personnally but thats just me

ATB

Duncan

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
addyb said:
I gave up trying to use a Trangia in the wintertime ages ago. I think when it took nearly twenty minutes to melt a single pot of snow I came to my senses and went back to an MSR stove for winter trips.

Trangia's are definately three season stoves, in my opinion.

Adam

I second that. I had an old trangia and used it on a winter hunting trip years ago.
Never have the coffe water taken so long to boil.
The norwegian army uses the Optimus 111. Each team were issued 2 of them.
I also use this stove in winter and the Optimus Nova the rest of the year.

Tor

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
addyb said:
....but what about the wind???
I try to stay out of the wind wnhen brewing up, but if its very windy, I usually shield the stove with my pack and where I'm sitting etc.

Given the square shape I reckon a collapsible wind shield would be easy enough to rig if thats your thing

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tor helge said:
I second that. I had an old trangia and used it on a winter hunting trip years ago.
Never have the coffe water taken so long to boil.
The norwegian army uses the Optimus 111. Each team were issued 2 of them.
I also use this stove in winter and the Optimus Nova the rest of the year.

Tor

Tor, I bought two of the Norwegian Army 111's, new in box, fantastic stoves, and 111's are still used in the Antarctic by the Australians

http://www.aad.gov.au/default.asp?casid=1383

I have the full range of 111's now, kerosene, petrol and multifuel, they are all great cookers. I love the Nova (mounted in a Trangia in the winter), but the 111's are very easy to maintain (the Ranger 199 is also very good for solo trips)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
spamel said:
Hey Pablo, there is an adaptor for the crusader, it is a thin sheet of steel with the same shape as the crusader cut out and the edges bent over to give it rigidity. It stows over the hexi cooker perfectly and means you can put your cooker up without having to resort to the angled set up of the legs. They come as standard these days with the cooker and the hexi fuel all wrapped up in that brown waterproof paper.

Whe the crusader sits in the adaptor, the bottom of the cup pokes through and the cup is suspended at its mid point by virtue of the fact that the top part is wider. The cup therefore sits close to the hexi and gets very well heated.

If you want one of them, I'll have a look when I get back sausage side and send you one across, it will make your life so much easier if you use hexi cookers a lot.

I have one of those kicking around in my van, with the adapter plate thing, shame I don't have the crusader though.

Not that I am short of cooking kit to be honest, with two mini Trangias, one hexi stove amd one swedish army trangia..

Oh and a petrol Svea 123R.

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
Meth. have always been difficult to use in the winter. Modern versions of the Trangia are prepared to use with either propane or petrol (holes drilled in the lower windshield). So, it´s not Trangia to be blamed if it doesn´t work in the winter. It´s the burner. But if you choose to use an petrolburner use pots in stainless steel. The ones which is delivered (alu) might melt.
Question: Is Trangia synonymous with meth. stoves for english spoken? As already mentioned, swedish rangers use a mess kit from Optimus No. 88 (meth.). Sometimes they have used Trangia arctic (Trangia equipped with an kerosene burner http://www2.ess.slu.se/peterask/fri/Kok/Arctic/Main.htm). The ordinary infantry mess kit is,
(http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2661.html)
as far as i know, not manufactured by Trangia. But if anyone has got proof Trangia do (or did) manufacture them.... /Swede :)

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
if ur eva stuck for a tasty and filling meal try this
instant noodles / pasta / rice
a few packs of instant soup
tin or 2 of tuna / meat of some kind and possibly a tin of veggies

its great coz its so simple, tasty and u can vairy it alot depeding on the soup or meat.
only prob is that it need 2 pans, but it works fine if there is 2 of u, which is what i usualuy do
me and my friend both hav mini trangia's and we love 'em

hope this helps
tp

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
rik_uk3 said:
:) :) :) Hang on to it, they stopped making them about a year ago, and used prices are on the up and up

Keep a look out for one of these, not cheap, but the cookset designed for the 123 takes the stove to a whole new level of cooking :cool:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Svea-123-stove-...ryZ87136QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not flogging it anytime soon, anyway it has the aluminium windshield already but didn't have any pots when I bought it.

That kit you showed is the best stuff for em as far as I know but I have yet to find the stainless pots for it.

Kept us cooking when Carlisle flooded and there was no electricity at our house for a few days and even burnt the premix that I had spare from my motocrosser :)

I just know someone will mention coleman fuel but have you tried getting it when all the shops are shut and you can't get out of town cos of the floods?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE