3 questions about trangia's.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Swede said:
Meth. have always been difficult to use in the winter. Modern versions of the Trangia are prepared to use with either propane or petrol (holes drilled in the lower windshield). So, it´s not Trangia to be blamed if it doesn´t work in the winter. It´s the burner. But if you choose to use an petrolburner use pots in stainless steel. The ones which is delivered (alu) might melt.
Question: Is Trangia synonymous with meth. stoves for english spoken?

today it´is probably like that. People tend to forget, otherwise they´d remember Marris (Brandname Sirram) and others.

As already mentioned, swedish rangers use a mess kit from Optimus No. 88 (meth.). Sometimes they have used Trangia arctic (Trangia equipped with an kerosene burner http://www2.ess.slu.se/peterask/fri/Kok/Arctic/Main.htm). The ordinary infantry mess kit is,
(http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2661.html)
as far as i know, not manufactured by Trangia. But if anyone has got proof Trangia do (or did) manufacture them.... /Swede :)

yes, Trangia made (makes ?) parts for the army. The name is stamped in the bottom of the burner (which is bigger and heavier compared to a standard burner). Trust me, as a stove collector I´ve got army sets made by SVEA and Trangia.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
demographic said:
Not flogging it anytime soon, anyway it has the aluminium windshield already but didn't have any pots when I bought it.

That kit you showed is the best stuff for em as far as I know but I have yet to find the stainless pots for it.

Kept us cooking when Carlisle flooded and there was no electricity at our house for a few days and even burnt the premix that I had spare from my motocrosser :)

I just know someone will mention coleman fuel but have you tried getting it when all the shops are shut and you can't get out of town cos of the floods?

I don't use Coleman fuel now, I buy 5 litre tins of Panel Wipe from a local motor spares shop, it just the same stuff as Coleman, but cost between £8 and £12 (depends on the store you go to) for a 5 litre tin :) 5 litres of Coleman is about £50 I believe :eek:

I have a serious stove and lamp collecting addiction (under control now, honest it is), and just won't pay for Coleman when a good substitute is available

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
cyclist said:
yes, Trangia made (makes ?) parts for the army. The name is stamped in the bottom of the burner (which is bigger and heavier compared to a standard burner). Trust me, as a stove collector I´ve got army sets made by SVEA and Trangia.

Ok, I´ve seen the stamp "three crowns" NC 64 SVEA underneath the burner (which is bigger than the standard Trangia). But you find the same burner in the swedish ranger version of mess kit (Optimus No. 88)? I´ve got two versions of the standard infantry mess kit, one in aluminium with a stamp "three crowns" and 5294 inside the frying pan. The pot has a stamp outside which says "three crowns" and 5200. The other one in stainless steel has a stamp in the pot which says "PRESSBOLAGET ESKILSTUNA" (first word is the name of the manufacturer and the second is a town in Sweden) and none in the frying pan. There is nothing that says that Trangia has made neither of them. I´m not arguing with you to make you angry, I´m just curious. Please, if you have a version that can prove Trangia used to make them, show me a picture or anything else. I´ve got friends who wants to know. I bet you got a big collection. Regards. /Swede :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Aluminium pots in a 25 or 27 won't melt when you use a petrol/kerosene burner with the Trangia, don't know who dreamt up that notion, unless you let the pans run dry :rolleyes:

I've had a lot of the Swedish Trangia's (to be frank, not to use, but to trade) and to be honest most of the burners are SVEA, I thought I had one with a Trangia stamped burner, but on checking, it was a civvie burner and not original.

Svea made good stoves, I have a few old pressure cookers from them, really well engineered bits of kit, they will out last a Nova/MSR/Omnifuel without doubt, and like all the old stoves, are easy to maintain.

The first two were new old stock when I had them (used now of course) but the last is from 1933, and works just fine :)

Not SVEA, just good cookers ;)

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
rik_uk3 said:
The Aluminium pots in a 25 or 27 won't melt when you use a petrol/kerosene burner with the Trangia, don't know who dreamt up that notion, unless you let the pans run dry :rolleyes:

Ok, it must have been a mirage when I saw it happen recently. And it seems that people I´ve heard telling me the same have had the same illusion. :headbang: /Swede

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
spamel said:
Just noticed aswell that you are using a trangia burner unit, I tried this and the only downside I could find was stowage space. I cut the bottom of the hexi cooker so that the burner unit sat in it, and when I stowed it away, it pokes out lid first so only the lid part is exposed. I didn't take to it, but the idea is there!
Interesting that Spam. Just tried a hexi cooker with a crusader cut out and Trangia burner. Because the mug sits IN the cut out, mine fouled the top of the burner..I'd reckon it must have been pretty close even with the cut out?

I did think I'd cracked the "pocketable cooker" arrangement there...back to the Hexi blocks :(

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Ok look close on the left need to cut some more holes put rod the hold cup up then a trangia will work or any alcohol stove on the right turn over for a bigger pot no rods i hope i said it right as the picture shows

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
I got this reply from Trangia (question: if they ever manufactured anything for the swedish defence)

Från: Trangia AB <info@trangia.se>
Skickat: den 28 mars 2007 07:12:23
Till: swede
Ämne: Re: Trangia gjort kök till försvaret?

Hej,

Trangia har inte tillverkat snuskburken, däremot tillverkade vi på 1970-talet en spritbrännare modell större till försvaret som ibland användes tillsammans med snuskburken.

Med vänlig hälsning/Best regards

Lilian Jonsson

Trangia AB
Box 5
SE-830 47 TRÅNGSVIKEN
Tel. +46 640 681330
Fax +46 640 681339
E-mail: info@trangia.se
Internet: www.trangia.se

Translation:

Hi,

Trangia has not manufactured snuskburken (infantry mess kit m/40), but we did manufacture a meth burner in the 1970's bigger than the common model for the armed forces which sometimes was used together with the mess kit m/40.

Best regards

Lilian Jonsson

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
cyclist said:
today it´is probably like that. People tend to forget, otherwise they´d remember Marris (Brandname Sirram) and others.

I´m eager to see your collection. Maybe you have the whole lot in pics? Especially the army sets made by Trangia. /Swede :)

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
your information is correct, "Trangia" is stamped on the burner only. Pardon me if I confused the forum members. :eek: :(

Set 1.
windshield:
3 crown symbol (3 c.s.)
NC 67
SVEA

pot:
Gense

burner:
3 c.s.
Trangia ( different from the current logo, it has a similiar type of letters as you find in the "Ford" Motor Company symbol)

fuel flask:
3 c.s.
Rödsprit
Mycket
Brandfarlig
Giftig
(on the bottom) Mellerud
66-04

Set 2:
windshield:
3 c.s.
NC 70
SVEA

pot:
17 Gense Cr.

burner:
3 c.s.
NC 70
SVEA

fuel flask:
3 c.s.
Sprit 35
Mycket
Brandfarligt
Vadligt
färligt att förtära
(on the bottom) manufacturer symbol

both pot/pan sts are made out of stainless steel (M 40 as in www.soldf.com/enmanskok.html - which in turn shows pics of the aluminum version ). Both sets do not show evidence of use, of couse it´s possible that parts of the sets could have been mixed since it´s been ~ 30 yrs. ago that they´ve been made. One never knows what has happened in such a long period. Maybe Trangia supplied burners to existing sets...
Interesting seems the different stamping on the pots ( 17 Gense Cr. / Gense) and the different informations on the fuel flasks (Brandfarlig / Brandfarligt).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE