3 of a kind

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Darkwoodecho

Forager
Apr 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I don't post on here much so you will have to forgive/indulge me, I know Mark Hill aka HillBill is quite active here so I thought I would share this with you, I know he has alluded to this project in his own post. "First go at full flats" but I thought you would maybe be interested to see how it turned out and the full story behind it, if I am going over old ground, repeating or boring then apologies.So here goes;

A while ago I approached Mark to see if he could come up with any ideas for a set of 3 blanks for me to handle and sheath. The brief to him was that they would be predominately for fish prepping of some fairly decent sized fish, gutting, tailing, heading and possibly some filleting, stainless steel and a bit "different" from the Bird & Trout style. nice and pointy with a bit of a thumb ramp, preferably full flats, rest was up to him. Mark is a very obliging and enthusiastic chap, so he took this on board and went away to scratch his head, a bit of comms back and forth, the odd tweek and he came up with these;

HBBT1.jpg

Which definitely ticked my boxes, 2 polished, one satin.

So now it was up to me, he'd put his stamp on them and I spent a lot of time trying to work out the scales profile at that part, I started with the satin blank and came up with this;

MHBTNo14.jpg

MHBTNo15.jpg

Which I kinda thought worked....

So although all three blanks have the same profile I wanted the actual finished products to be very different, the same but not! if that makes sense. I decided to do them one at a time all the way through, so onto a sheath for the first;

MHBTNo1Sheath2.jpg

Which is a bit Whacky, but I'm sure will calm down....

So No1 done, two to go....

I will be going on an annual fishing trip with two of my very good friends, one has a birthday while we are away, they will get sight of all 3, birthday boy will get first dibs and I will keep the "reject" my other friend getting second dibs, it'll be interesting for me to see which they choose and why (no fighting allowed).

Keeping to this the next I think will be very different....

To be continued
Thanks for looking.
Elliot

Darkwoodecho

Forager
Apr 11, 2012
United Kingdom
I finished No1 a couple of weeks back and have been working on 2 of 3, so as promised Number two!!

BT210.jpg

Which is somewhat different!!

BT29.jpg

I have also tried to avoid similarities with the sheath and at this stage I'm not too sure.....

BT2Sheath3.jpg

one and two together....

BT2Sheath9.jpg

Thanks for looking, WIP on 3!
E

Darkwoodecho

Forager
Apr 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Thank's guys,
Hamish, I got some synthetic natural sponge, which I know is an oxymoron!! :confused:, you know the really open stuff with lots of holes, cut into small cubes and then stipple dye in a random way, 3 different shades, if that makes sense?
Cheers
E

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Might have to give that method a try out :)

Thank's guys,
Hamish, I got some synthetic natural sponge, which I know is an oxymoron!! :confused:, you know the really open stuff with lots of holes, cut into small cubes and then stipple dye in a random way, 3 different shades, if that makes sense?
Cheers
E

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The steel is Sandvik 12C27. The handle materials are Stabilised Masur Birch on the 1st and G10 on the second. :)

Darkwoodecho

Forager
Apr 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Thank's all for your positive comments and warm welcome, Mark has to take most? :rolleyes: sorry ALL the credit for the blade profile and inspiration ;) all I did was ask him!!
Hopefully posting finals on No 3 at the weekend.

Hello Elliot, very nice :)
Hi Mate, thanks, just needs some knitting to set them off now ;)

Elliot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE