3 foot tent or taller - or illegal!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It's all fine and legal, you need to read the T&Cs, then sign...:D crazy thread, funny though :)

Owls outside calling hard, and 633 Squadron of Craneflies swept in as I went out for a roll-up. 7 of them. I've ousted 3, the dog has left one mutilated, and two are just being useless against the walls. Anyone else got lots of Daddy Longlegs this year? Anyone know what they actually do, or benefit?

If there's info I'll start a thread. They seem a bit...rubbish at most things. I wondered if they had any saving attributes?

Craneflies are very good at benefitting craneflies. That's what they are for. The larvae feed on grass roots, the adults don't feed, they just breed. They make a handy food source for birds before winter, and also predatory insects and spiders. I saw a hornet take one the other evening. There's no reason why they have to be of benefit to anyone or anything else though. They are just a successful insect.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Can I go off topic and tell the world of my crane fly encounter?? well here goes, me my brother and best mate were camping in the Lakedistrict(oh is sort of on topic wait and see) We had done a lot of walking during the day and had crashed out for the night, we had joined two 58 pattern poncho's together and used walking poles to make a basic set up that just about managed to cram the three of us under(sub 3 ft) it was late August a mild damp night with drizzly rain,early hr's of the morn I woke up bursting for a pee, turned on my head torch on, which proceeded to attract swarms of crane flies around me.I had never seen so many before, they where literally swamping me. I climbed back into my bag after finishing and dozed back off till morning.On getting up out of my bag I came to the realisation that I was covered with the corpses of squashed said crane flies,they were even in my chest hair and to put it politely southern hair mass as well..(had on boxers and loose t shrit).

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Can I go off topic and tell the world of my crane fly encounter?? well here goes, me my brother and best mate were camping in the Lakedistrict(oh is sort of on topic wait and see) We had done a lot of walking during the day and had crashed out for the night, we had joined two 58 pattern poncho's together and used walking poles to make a basic set up that just about managed to cram the three of us under(sub 3 ft) it was late August a mild damp night with drizzly rain,early hr's of the morn I woke up bursting for a pee, turned on my head torch on, which proceeded to attract swarms of crane flies around me.I had never seen so many before, they where literally swamping me. I climbed back into my bag after finishing and dozed back off till morning.On getting up out of my bag I came to the realisation that I was covered with the corpses of squashed said crane flies,they were even in my chest hair and to put it politely southern hair mass as well..(had on boxers and loose t shrit).

No groundsheet, so you probably pitched on top of a patch where the adults were emerging from the ground after pupating. They do it en-masse so as to overwhelm predators, and usually at night for extra saety. bad timing on your part.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Lol there was an onslaught of wobbly craneflies at my back door last night! Blasted things make me cringe.

I was showing off my lantern and it was like a friggin homeing beacon to them!

They remind me of cheap puppets being controlled by a drunken and slightly simple puppeteer!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ok, soto add to the op apparently this law was an emergency law placed in 1981ish due to riots with coal miners and people at stone henge....

In place to stop travellin rioters having a place to rest.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Also at the same time a law to stop the gathering of 3 or mor e people was emplaced with record time. In an attempt to allow the arrest and disband of potential rioters!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It sounds like the sort of pub conversation turned "fact" law that people often like to get het up about and then the Daily Mail will write an outraged article about, when it was never true in the first place! I came across an article online recently where a lot of people were claiming entirely wrongly that it was illegal to give someone a negative job reference and they were all completely convinced what they were saying was true because "it's the law!" ..... no, it's not and it never has been.

While it's not "illegal" as such, this one does have some basis in fact. People over here who were not hired due to negative job references have sometimes sued the reference writers *successfully) Not often, but often enough. Likewise, companies who have hired new employees based on positive job references who have been harmed by the new company have also sued the reference writers (again, not often, but often enough) This turn of events has led many companies to adopt the blanket policy of simply not writing any references at all.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
While it's not "illegal" as such, this one does have some basis in fact. People over here who were not hired due to negative job references have sometimes sued the reference writers *successfully) Not often, but often enough. Likewise, companies who have hired new employees based on positive job references who have been harmed by the new company have also sued the reference writers (again, not often, but often enough) This turn of events has led many companies to adopt the blanket policy of simply not writing any references at all.

Wary of the danger of going off topic - but it had no basis in fact at all as the context, just like this thread, is one which related to the UK only, a discussion amongst British people about things happening in Britain.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
just like this thread, is one which related to the UK only, a discussion amongst British people about things happening in Britain.

Bit harsh Mate...think our American friend is just as welcome here as anybody else. Doesn't say anywhere that this is a purely British thread and as I've heard similar things over here to what he's saying happened over there I think it's relevant.

Sorry....don't mean to sound off'ish but your post seemed un-necessary rude, if it wasnt meant that way then fair enough but hard to read it any other way as an outsider.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
It is neither harsh nor suggesting that he is not welcome, but please let's use a little common sense. When someone posting on a website based in a particular country, who lives in that country asks a question or makes a statement relating specifically as to whether something is or is not legal , he or she is clearly referring to the law of the land in which they live, not that of another country. What is the alternative? There was a recent thread about whether a butterfly knife was legal - someone from a country where they are perfectly legal responds saying " Oh yes, perfectly legal to carry" and Joe Bloggs goes out into a UK street with one and ends up in prison? Or I go onto a US site where people post pics of their lovely gun collections and start ranting about how pistols and semi autos are horribly illegal to own and they are all facing minimum 5 year sentences?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wary of the danger of going off topic - but it had no basis in fact at all as the context, just like this thread, is one which related to the UK only, a discussion amongst British people about things happening in Britain.

Not entirely. This comment was in response to your post on a UK newspaper's stance on said topic. This is just a possible source for their claims.

A few years ago I would have thought UK jurisprudence was above the US regarding frivolous lawsuits (such as the McDonalds coffee scalding one) But judging from some recent suits I've seen posted on here, I'm not so sure anymore.

As for "going off topic" Well, it would seem that dumb laws, lawsuits (or the false belief in them) is the topic.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It is neither harsh nor suggesting that he is not welcome, but please let's use a little common sense.

Well that is certainly how it came across too me....as for the use of common sense, maybe it would show considerable common sense not to get legal advice from strangers on Internet forums if it's going to directly effect you....just an idea ;)

I understood this thread to be a light hearted look at the difference between odd laws and old wives tales rather than playing Rumpole of the Baily and I don't see you have to be a Brit for that :) lol

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Not entirely. This comment was in response to your post on a UK newspaper's stance on said topic. This is just a possible source for their claims.

But I did'nt post about a UK newspaper's stance on any topic, and certainly not any referred to in this thread , what I said was "It sounds like the sort of pub conversation turned "fact" law that people often like to get het up about and then the Daily Mail will write an outraged article about, when it was never true in the first place " It's lack of attention to these wee details from folk that gives us lawyers so much work to do ;)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But I did'nt post about a UK newspaper's stance on any topic, and certainly not any referred to in this thread , what I said was "It sounds like the sort of pub conversation turned "fact" law that people often like to get het up about and then the Daily Mail will write an outraged article about, when it was never true in the first place " It's lack of attention to these wee details from folk that gives us lawyers so much work to do ;)

Very well then, a "hypothetical" stance.

Speaking of attention to details; did you really mean "us lawyers?" Or did you mean "U.S. lawyers?" Vast difference in meaning. LOL

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Personally I would use this particular persons knowledge of the law to guide you regarding any further opinions they come out with whilst having a few in the Dog and Duck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE