2nd Spoon

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
This is my 2nd spoon. It is a piece of decorative tree branch from my back garden and it started life as a normal spoon but due to the fact that I cut through the bowl I decided to change tack.

I then carved a shallow bowl in what was the handle and have made it into salt spoon for my small coarse sea-salt pot. It was carved as thin as I dared for aesthetics and finished with very fine glass paper. I love the natural curve of the branch and it makes a good little salt spoon I think.

Our tree has deep purple/red leaves and before I use it I wondered if anyone could identify it for me. The leaves are not 'waxy' so I think it will be fine?? Any comments or advice welcome!

Unknown Tree Species - Can you identify it?
CIMG2514.jpg

Leaf Close-up
CIMG2515.jpg

Spoon

Front
2ndSpoon-front.jpg

Side
2ndSpoon-side.jpg

Back
ndSpoon-back.jpg

I love the different colours of grain within the wood and I would like to make a bigger one if it is safe to use.

I haven't oiled it yet as I am buying some walnut oil tomorrow. What is the best method of treating it with oil?

Looking for another pice of timber now!

Craeg.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Nice. I like the hole turned into a handle.

Not sure what that tree is.

I generally soak my spoons in flaxseed oil for three days. I have a narrow tall bag I made out of vacuum seal bag material that I fill with oil for the soak.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
There's some lovely colours in your bit of wood. Well done for carrying on whittling rather than just binning it when you went through the bottom. The more you do, the more you learn so nothing's ever a waste of time in my opinion. I use bits out of the garden too - it's quite fun to look out for interesting curves - but I'm rubbish at identifying plants unless you can eat them so can't identify yours I'm afraid!

To oil it I'd give it a day or so until the wood is quite dry then just put some on a piece of kitchen roll and wipe it on generously. Leave it for a few minutes to absorb then wipe it with a clean bit of kitchen roll to get rid of any surplus. For bigger pieces which you want to absorb plenty of oil it can be worthwhile standing the bottle of oil in a jug of hot water for a bit first so the oil gets warmer and thinner, but for little spoons I don't bother.

Nicola

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice spoon, looks like a good shape, cherry does have some nice colours in the wood, and the foliage looks similar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE